Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

mSqieG.jpg

The Witcher is being made into a TV show by Netflix

The author of the original Witcher books, Andrzej Sapkowski, is onboard as a creative consultant

Netflix is developing and producing an English-language TV show based on The Witcher. The franchise started life as a series of fantasy novels by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, before being turned into a number of critically acclaimed video games. Now it’s coming to the small screen, although there are no details on when the show might arrive.

In a press release Sapkowski said he would be serving as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” he wrote. “I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”

It was previously reported that a movie adaptation of The Witcher was in the works for 2017, but it seems this effort has been scrapped in favor of a TV show. Sean Daniel (of The Mummy and The Expanse) was previously attached to the movie, but is now onboard to produce the Netflix series, along with fellow producer Jason Brown.

Filmmaker Tomek Baginski, best known for his Oscar-nominated animated short The Cathedral, is also involved, along with Jarek Sawko. Both Baginski and Sawko belong to Polish visual effects studio Platige Image which was responsible for the CGI intros for The Witcher video games.

In a press release, Baginski and Sawko said: “There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and hero inside of all our hearts.”

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15651956/the-witcher-tv-show-netflix-announced

• Like 3

This is actually a really good idea.  I figure they're adapting the books and not the games.

The Witcher as a concept serves really well as a TV Show.  

Im about to start playing Wild Hunt (just finished Assassin of Kings) and I really enjoy the universe.  It feels like a hybrid of Tolkien and Game of Thrones

50 minutes ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

This is actually a really good idea.  I figure they're adapting the books and not the games.

Why not both :ph34r:

The games take place X years after the last story and link up with some core book concepts in the final game, so you could do a single series running through the whole lot.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Why not both :ph34r:

The games take place X years after the last story and link up with some core book concepts in the final game, so you could do a single series running through the whole lot.

I don't see much point in showing Geralt lose his memory when the audience already knows what happens prior.  It made sense for the Witcher, because 99% of the people playing the first game hadn't read the books (and I'd reckon to say 90-95% of the Witcher 3 audience haven't either).

Truth be told, I've only read stuff I was interested in about the books.  I haven't given them a straight read yet.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-witcher-lauren-schmidt-hissrich-1202630021/

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich will adapt fantasy saga “The Witcher” into a series for Netflix, Variety has learned.

Her writing and co-executive producer credits include Marvel-produced superhero dramas “The Defenders” and “Daredevil” for Netflix and Starz’s “Power.”

This property deserves better than this! :sadno:

Edited by Elessar

On 10/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, IronJimbo said:

game of the year deserves film not tv

TV shows are better than movies to tell stories thanks to their format, TV shows are not sub-movies or an inferior media : they're a way of telling stories in their own right, like books, movies and videogames.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

TV shows are better than movies to tell stories thanks to their format, TV shows are not sub-movies or an inferior media : they're a way of telling stories in their own right, like books, movies and videogames.

Right, but the majority of western TV shows lack quality. Every good series ends up getting more and more seasons until it's eventually bad, so you end up with no series with a good finish.

There are exceptions of course. True Detective (SEASON 1 ONLY) and Mind Hunter come to mind.

Edited by IronJimbo

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Right, but the majority of western TV shows lack quality. Every good series ends up getting more and more seasons until it's eventually bad, so you end up with no series with a good finish.

There are exceptions of course. True Detective (SEASON 1 ONLY) and Mind Hunter come to mind.

Well, I can't deny that many shows go further than they should. I remember being a fan of Supernatural (the TV show), it originally had to last 5 seasons but given it was doing pretty well they extended it and now we're beyond 10 seasons of it. I stopped at season 8, not because it's bad but because they're going too far, it's like our heroes cannot have a peaceful life despite all the horrors they had to see. I'll see the remaining seasons but still...