Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

53 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

I wonder how they can pull data from social media hmmm :(
if what you are saying is true, why nobody challenge them?  or pretty pictures and nice tables and ranking is enough???? :( 
where are those times when I could easily find rentals from box office data :) hmm :(

I assume they pull related hashtags and keywords to determine interest. It’s all jazz hands. 

• Like 1

Just finished watching and the funny thing is I understand what the critics are complaining about and can't really disagree. I was confused at the start and was quickly bombarded with loads of strange names and the dialogue was a bit clunky

But.

I still found it oddly compelling. I couldn't stop watching and after a while was thoroughly enjoying myself. Cavill is perfect and I enjoyed his adventures with Jaskier despite not really knowing what their relationship was he just follows him around cause he is a bard haha. Yenefer was great. The magical chase and battles were really fun. The longsword fights had excellent choreography. I can't wait for season 2

• Like 2

posted also in Mandalorian thread:

The most wanted television in the U.S. across all platforms. (29 December, 2019 – 04 January 2020)

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insights/the-most-wanted-television-in-the-u-s-across-all-platforms-29-december-2019-04-january-2020/

Moving to individual shows, our first series to be America’s most wanted television show in 2020 is The Mandalorian from Disney+. Demand for the sci-fi western rose 23% compared to last week. The increase is due to this being the first full week since the series finale on 27th December. Additionally, showrunner Jon Favreau confirmed this week that Season 2 of The Mandalorian will arrive in late 2020.

This week’s second most wanted television series is last week’s top title, Netflix’s The Witcher. The fantasy drama just eclipsed The Mandorian last week to become the 2019’s final show to attain ‘US’s most demanded television series’ status. However, a small 4% uptick in demand for The Witcher this week wasn’t enough to prevent a finale-powered The Mandolorian surging past.

Overall.jpg

Love this. Unpretentious GOT. It's like Fantastic Beasts with T&A and some really great world building and fighting choreography. Characters are so likable and the leads (Cavill, Chalotra, Allen) just great. Ton of fun hopefully they don't mess up.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

The Witchar back on TOP :), posted also in Mandalorian thread...

Digital TV demand for series in the United States (05 – 11 January 2020)

We are now two weeks in and already 2020 is shaping up to be different from 2019. In 2019, the most demanded show in the USA tended to stay that way for months at a time: HBO’s Game Of Thrones dominated the first half of the year and Netflix’s Stranger Things the second half. However, this year we have two series battling for the top spot. After Disney+’s The Mandalorian arrived in November 2019 and quickly reached the top of the chart, there was a surprise upset in the last week of the year when Netflix’s The Witcher took the top spot. Last week, The Mandalorian ended on top again for the first chart of 2020 and now this week, The Witcher leads once again. It is a narrow lead though, with only a 2% difference between the two shows.

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insights/digital-tv-demand-for-series-in-the-united-states-05-11-january-2020/

Digital-Originals-1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Not shocked, Witcher and Mandalorian have been dominated the streaming shows conversation for the past month now. 

It is surprising how close something like a You season 2 or an very old Strangers Thinks are......... not even making 1.5 an finished for how long Games of Thrones, I would have expected a much larger step for something new.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Good to see they left Stranger Things way behind. never got the appeal of that show. 

Well the last release of that show is many month old by now no, it mean very little Spongebob and Games of Thrones are also ahead.

Yeah, so these numbers may not very trustworthy but I think it is safe to say The Witcher is officially GOT's replacement in terms of pop culture fascination (even if the critical reception is not on the same level).

And a "world expanding" anime film has been ordered as well

• Like 1

This season had waaay more bad than good but I did end up watching all of it. 

I suspect season 2 will be considerably better by default. They should lean in much harder to the 'monster of the week' format the games revel in; it's tailor-made to an episodic medium and the show was at its best when it gave us glimpses of Geralt just doing his day-job. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah, so these numbers may not very trustworthy but I think it is safe to say The Witcher is officially GOT's replacement in terms of pop culture fascination (even if the critical reception is not on the same level).

Not really, GoT would have hundreds of millions or even billions of "household viewers" worldwide using Netflix's dubious method. It just shows that The Witcher is the most popular new TV series of Netflix, and perhaps overall the most watched new series of 2019.

But even just for Netflix, Stranger Things seems to be more popular. Of course, The Witcher has the potential to grow but it isn't up there yet.