Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

17 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not really, GoT would have hundreds of millions or even billions of "household viewers" worldwide using Netflix's dubious method. It just shows that The Witcher is the most popular new TV series of Netflix, and perhaps overall the most watched new series of 2019.

But even just for Netflix, Stranger Things seems to be more popular. Of course, The Witcher has the potential to grow but it isn't up there yet.

Well, it's (going to be) bigger than Stranger Things season 1, according to Netflix. While they changed how they count a view i would hope they normalize the data internally to get a fare comparison, otherwise it would be straight out lying to shareholders. Then again, Hollywood disregarding inflation when talking about box office is not that dissimilar.

As for GoT, at its height, i don't doubt it's bigger than pretty much everything else. But Witcher is still young, let's see where it goes from here. The press release make it sound like Witcher has many more seasons ahead of it, hopefully that's true...

Edited by Elessar

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Well, it's (going to be) bigger than Stranger Things season 1, according to Netflix. While they changed how they count a view i would hope they normalize the data internally to get a fare comparison, otherwise it would be straight out lying to shareholders.

Netflix can't "lie to shareholders" about financial data, something that affects revenue like their number of subscribers. They're not going to get arrested by the cops for lying about the number of "viewers" in their press releases, in fact their shareholders would want them to spin their success as much as possible.

However, they have no reason to lie about the relative success of shows they own, that is why you can believe that The Witcher is the most popular new show of Netflix.

Edited by MrGlass2

49 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Well, it's (going to be) bigger than Stranger Things season 1, according to Netflix. While they changed how they count a view

Well no, not according to Netflix (at least they have yet to say so), I could be misreading but what the article is saying:

More people watched in the debut of the season release 2 minutes of Witcher than at the debut of Stranger Things season 1 watched 70% of the hole serie.

I think we have absolutely no idea how many people watched the Witcher.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

More people watched in the debut of the season release 2 minutes of Witcher than at the debut of Stranger Things season 1 watched 70% of the hole serie.

That's not what the article is saying, though. That's your interpretation.

If Netflix is saying it's on its way to become the biggest 1st season of any show on their service one should take that info at face value.

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

That's not what the article is saying, though. That's your interpretation.

If Netflix is saying it's on its way to become the biggest 1st season of any show on their service one should take that info at face value.

The article seem to be quite clear that it is about the season 1 debut:

Netflix’s best season 1 original debut

I really not sure what would be close (is there ever a show that got big right away season 1 before on Netflix ? Many of the big where when Netflix was much much smaller and other where a bit of a word of mouth ramp up) in term of debut and must be true, debut does not mean biggest 1st season or the debut that something that the article added and their interpretation, do we have the actual Netflix statement ?

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

do we have the actual Netflix statement ?

I have a difficulty understanding you. If you are asking where does it say biggest 1st season, here:

During December, we also launched The Witcher, which is tracking to be our biggest season one TV series ever.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/959853165/files/doc_financials/2019/q4/FINAL-Q4-19-Shareholder-Letter.pdf

26 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I have a difficulty understanding you. If you are asking where does it say biggest 1st season, here:

https://s22.q4cdn.com/959853165/files/doc_financials/2019/q4/FINAL-Q4-19-Shareholder-Letter.pdf

Ok thanks, the word debut seem to have been added by the article and their interpretation, Netflix seem to say tracking to be the biggest season when using the choosing metric (and I am confident they are comparing with how many people choose the others and not watched them as well has they go back and talk how many people did choose The Crown over time, to make it fair in that sense).

To give an example of how high the numbers using their new metric:

Witcher season 1: 76M first four weeks.

You season 2: 54M first 4 weeks (71% of Witcher)

That put 76m in perspective if a S2 of a show like You can do 54M.

The Mandalorian strikes back ;)

Once again, we have a switch in the most demanded show in the United States. The Mandalorian and The Witcher have been jockeying for the top spot over the past month. Last week The Witcher led in demand, but this week The Mandalorian returns as number one. With the next most demanded show having around 20% less demand than The Witcher, it seems like this particular fight for American audiences will continue for some time.

Overall-2.jpg

People need to take into account that people in other countries can often not taste like the US pop,  I also thought Stranger Things was more popular than The Witcher, but after seeing some data, I'm doubting that, Stranger Things is very popular in the US, but overseas is not as strong as The Witcher (apparently)

Some examples, the 10 most popular Netflix shows in the U.S. in 2019 (data released by Netflix).

1.Stranger Things 3
2.The Witcher”
3.The Umbrella Academy
4.Dead to Me”
5.You: Season 2”
6.When They See Us”
7.Unbelievable”
8.Sex Education”
9.13 Reasons Why: Season 3”
10.Raising Dion”

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/netflix-most-popular-tv-series-2019-stranger-things-the-witcher-when-they-see-us-1203453295/

Top 10 most popular Netflix shows in UK (Second country with the highest number of Netflix subscribers). in 2019.

1.The Witcher
2.After Life
3.Stranger Things 3
4.Sex Education
5.The Umbrella Academy
6.You
7.Unbelievable
8.Top Boy
9.Black Mirror
10.Dirty John

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50955690

Top 10 most plar Netflix shows in Brazil (4 country with the highest number of Netflix subscribers).

1.La Casa De Papel part 3 (Money Heist pt 3)

2.The Witcher

3.Sintonia

4.Titans 

5.Sex Education

6.Stranger Things: Season 3

7.Irmandade

8.Lucifer:  season 4

9.The Umbrella Academy

10.You : Season 2

https://www.omelete.com.br/netflix/netflix-filmes-e-series-mais-populares-brasil-2019

Top 10 most popular Netflix shows in Australia in 2019.

1.The Witcher
2.Lunatics
3.Stranger Things 3
4.Dead to Me
5.The Umbrella Academy
6.Unbelievable
7.Dirty John
8.Sex Education
9.Rick and Morty: S4
10.You: S2

https://deadline.com/2019/12/netflix-reveals-most-popular-international-titles-of-2019-madeleine-mccann-true-crime-doc-tops-uk-murder-mystery-leads-in-australia-1202818375/

Top 10 Most Popular Series of 2019 in France (7 country with the highest number of Netflix subscribers)
1.Money Heist: S3
2.The Witcher
3.Sex Education
4.Umbrella Academy
5.Stranger Things 3
6.You: S2
7.Elite S2
8.Family Business
9.Raising Dion
10.13 Reasons Why: S3

https://deadline.com/2019/12/netflix-reveals-most-popular-international-titles-of-2019-madeleine-mccann-true-crime-doc-tops-uk-murder-mystery-leads-in-australia-1202818375/

Top 10 Most Popular Series of 2019 in Germany ( 6 country with the highest number of Netflix subscribers)

1.Money Heist
2.The Witcher
3.Sex Education
4.Stranger Things 3
5.You
6.The Umbrella Academy
7.13 Reasons Why
8.The I-Land
9.Elite
10.Black Mirror

As we can see, The Witcher has a clear bigger global appeal  than Stranger things, and that comparing the 3 season of Stranger Things with The Witcher season 1, if the comparison between the 2 series is between the first seasons the difference should (likely) be even bigger in favor of The Witcher.

Stranger Things fights in popularity with The Witcher in the US (and is  more popular here), but Overseas The Witcher is clearly more popular, it's the same with Mandalorian .

Edited by Marcos12
  • Like 2

I’m sure The Witcher is a big hit but this truly is a ridiculous nonsensical metric. 

“Chose to watch and did watch for at least 2 minutes -- long enough to indicate the choice was intentional -- is the precise definition.”

The old Metric was watch at least 70% of an individual episode or film and they do give an example. 

“45m member households chose to watch Our Planet under the new metric vs. 33m under the prior metric.”

A David Attenborough nature documentary is very much a known quantity.  The above figures mean 33m households watched at least 70% (about 35 minutes) of 1 episode plus another 12 million watched somewhere between 2 minutes and 35 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Last Wish "Introducing the Witcher as seen on Netflix" is #3 on the NY Times Combined Print & E-book Best Sellers List.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:57 AM, Marek the Jedi said:

The Mandalorian strikes back ;)

Once again, we have a switch in the most demanded show in the United States. The Mandalorian and The Witcher have been jockeying for the top spot over the past month. Last week The Witcher led in demand, but this week The Mandalorian returns as number one. With the next most demanded show having around 20% less demand than The Witcher, it seems like this particular fight for American audiences will continue for some time.

Overall-2.jpg

Obligatory and one last time: this is nonsense. Up until this week, the Parrot thing for Mandalorian and The Witcher followed closely Internet buzz as measured by GoogleTrends but that is not the case anymore and I have no idea what kind of data they are using.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 7-d&geo=US&q=mandalorian,witcher

And, as much as I loved Game of Thrones - the most successful show of the decade - it ended 8 months ago so the notion that it had 80% as many "viewers" as Mandalorian or The Witcher last week by any metrics is laughable.

There really is no need to post this Parrot ranking every week, until they improve their methodology significantly (if that ever happens) it is just clickbait to promote their company.

Binged this recently and I agree with other users here that the timeline is confusing and unnecessarily convoluted. I only really caught on during episode 3 with the Adda and Foltest storyline. But even after that episode it was still somewhat confusing as to which events are happening in which year. I had to read Wiki episode synopsis and look at the Netflix infographics to completely understand (which is why I guess Netflix had to create that in the first place).

Even apart from that I found the show boring overall. Too slow, too confusing (esp for a new comer who has had no exposure to anything Witcher related) and too much unnecessary nudity. I would love it If they skip all the boring politics and make each episode rather standalone with Geralt hunting a new monster like Supernatural. Overall Cavill was good though and so was Anya. Second hyped up disappointment after Mandalorian. 

https://deadline.com/2020/07/netflix-the-witcher-blood-origin-spinoff-series-1202995701/

Netflix has announced The Witcher: Blood Origin, a limited series from The Witcher universe.

Blood Origin will be a six part, live-action limited series, and a prequel to the streamer’s series The Witcher. Set in an elven world 1,200 years before the world of The Witcher, the show will chart the origins of the very first Witcher, and the events that lead to the pivotal “conjunction of the spheres,” when the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merged to become one.

The series is slated to shoot in the UK, though cast and a specific date has not been revealed.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/04/delayed-seasons-of-the-witcher-you-will-return-q4-2021-1234740619/

The Witcher and You – two of Netflix’s biggest dramas – have suffered from Covid-19 delays but there is light at the end of the tunnel for fans.

Co-CEO and Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos revealed on the company’s investor video for its first-quarter financial results that new seasons of both shows will launch in the fourth quarter of the year.

“What happened in the first part of this year was that a lot of the projects that we’d hoped to come out earlier did get pushed because of the post-production delays and Covid delays and we think we’ll get back to a much steadier state in the back half of the year, certainly in Q4 where we have the returning seasons of some of our most popular shows like The Witcher and You and Cobra Kai as well as some big tentpole movies that came to market a little slower than we’d hoped like Red Notice and Escape From Spiderhead,” he said.

The Witcher wrapped production on its second season earlier this month. The show has been in production for over a year and was one of the company’s most high-profile series to be delayed in the UK.

Filming on season two begin in February 2020, but production halted shortly thereafter due to the coronavirus pandemic. Scheduling delays prompted the exit of Thue Rasmussen and the recasting of Basil Eidenbenz in the popular Witcher Eskel role. Production resumed in August 2020, but was halted again in November due to multiple positive Covid-19 cases.