kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

I think AC will hit 50m OW. That's a great preview number. Kong did less than that(previews), but still managed 61m OW. 

I will guess a 52m OW start for AC. It won't have fantastic legs though(like Prometheus)...

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

Pretty good previews number for Covenant. Falling right on the range of the 3.6M midnight of Prometheus. Expecting it to be frontloaded, though - 43-45M OW on the way.

Everything, Everything... meh. Wimpy Kid beyond atrocious.

[And btw, if I were to pick a director for a new Alien Vs. Predator, I'd go for Matt Reeves or Sam Raimi.]

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

For me, the most obvious no-brainer way to make a successful AvP movie would basically be Predators with xenomorphs or Aliens with predators.

I think AvP with no human characters would be cool but I think unfortunately they need humans as cannon fodder. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

For me, the most obvious no-brainer way to make a successful AvP movie would basically be Predators with xenomorphs or Aliens with predators.

Long time since I've seen it but wasn't Requiem about Predators with Xenomorphs?

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Long time since I've seen it but wasn't Requiem about Predators with Xenomorphs?

I actually meant that an AvP movie should be like the film "Predators" but include xenomorphs. Basically, a bunch of badass humans out in a jungle that have to fight both of them at the same time.

41 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Ridley Scott (well past his prime, in fact imo, Scott has produced two masterpieces and not much else) was not the right man for this. A great director is needed to pull this off. There's a real dearth of directorial talent in Hollywood right now. 

Gladiator, Telma&Louise, Black Hack Down, American gangster, The Martian would not be that bad of a career

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Gladiator, Telma&Louise, Black Hack Down, American gangster, The Martian would not be that bad of a career

Don't forget the  1984 Apple commercial and the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Even Matchstick Men which was a box office bomb was decent.

38 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

But McAvoy...

I'm done with Charles (until Atomic Blonde). All hail Erik.

36 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Question: How much should I see of the series before I jump into this? The movie looks hella dope, but I don't want to get lost during it.

You need to see Prometheus at the bare minimum. Technically speaking, you'd be fine without having seen any of them, but the impact is much bigger if you've seen Prometheus.

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wasnt Split the movie of the decade? 

Never said that.

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Are you an Alien fan?

Did you like it better than Prometheus?

Yes

Yes

• Like 2

Anyways, fucking great number for Alien. Knew I should have raised my prediction to 45M.

That seems ok for EE.

Wimpy Kid is an absolute disaster :rofl: Would it have even made 100k without the 5 PM start? :jeb!: 

While I was mixed on Alien Covenant, I can't deny that Ridley Scott's still got it and he's nearly 80. His body of work has a mix of good and bad but what directors has a flawless track record. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
39 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Question: How much should I see of the series before I jump into this? The movie looks hella dope, but I don't want to get lost during it.

Watch at least the first two Alien movies! They are pretty good!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well, I know I'm in an extremely small minority here, but I don't think those movies are that good. OK, maybe I will concede on Thelma & Louise. But! Gladiator starts really strongly, then goes into cliche overdrive. American Gangster is "meh", Black Hawk Down is turgid beyond belief and The Martian is cheesier than 2lbs of cheddar.

The budget for Covenant is  $97m which is less than both Prometheus which was $120-130m and even The Martian which was $108m. I'm guessing they got tax credits for shooting in New Zealand and also Ridley must be good at keeping costs under control

Everywhere I look Wimpy Kid is having some pretty damn good matinees. Everything Everything is doing almost nothing for first shows, but that's to be expected. Roles will probably reverse when we get into the evening.

• Like 3

Just now, DAJK said:

Everywhere I look Wimpy Kid is having some pretty damn good matinees. Everything Everything is doing almost nothing for first shows, but that's to be expected. Roles will probably reverse when we get into the evening.

Wimpy Kid is a weekend title so it'll thrive in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. I guess the budget is low so Fox will make a profit anyway.