Jump to content

Beginning on August 1, 2017 all free accounts will have the same avatar size as all paid accounts. This means you will be able to upload larger avatars on that day if you have a free account and this will no longer be a paid perk.

kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Recommended Posts

drdungbeetle    191
Just now, ChipMunky said:

 

Well... I'm gonna slightly disagree on this.

 

MIDNIGHTS have always been included. But then the TDKR shooting happened and midnights stopped, and we now only have "early previews" which usually take place between 5-8pm. It would be kind of silly to separate them now, but gosh, it annoys the hell out of me.

Meh, the early previews are basically a replacement for midnights. I don't like them either (mainly because they allow bad buzz to spread and further depress Fridays for movies that suck, making the early sales argument iffier).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeeCee    15,515

Damn. I was off by over $160,000 with A:C. Sorry guys. I'll try and do better next time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChipMunky    2,543
11 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Meh, the early previews are basically a replacement for midnights. I don't like them either (mainly because they allow bad buzz to spread and further depress Fridays for movies that suck, making the early sales argument iffier).

 

They're not, though. Sure, they allow a wider audience to attend, but they're taking away audience from films already in release for that evening and can pack in more showtimes.

 

The perk of a midnight showing, though, was being able to have every screen available to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

 

Well... I'm gonna slightly disagree on this.

 

MIDNIGHTS have always been included. But then the TDKR shooting happened and midnights stopped, and we now only have "early previews" which usually take place between 5-8pm. It would be kind of silly to separate them now, but gosh, it annoys the hell out of me.

 

They had to adapt somehow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SchumacherFTW    3,888
Just now, baumer said:

 

They had to adapt somehow.  

Funny thing to me is that we used to have 8pm shows on a Thursday or Weds before a full release on Friday, now we get a lot of midnight shows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aabattery    18,087

I don't actually have an issue with Thursday previews, it was just annoyingly close between AC/GOTG. I was this close to glory in the summer game.

 

Woe is me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harpospoke    3,543
9 hours ago, Cookson said:

I heard Blokamp wants to rewrite Alien 3 basically, where Alien and Aliens are still part of the timeline, but start over from there. Alien 3 and 4 would serve as a "alternate timeline" I guess.

 

Please let this be true.   I already pretend Alien 3 doesn't exist as it is.

 

9 hours ago, Cookson said:

 

The franchise definitely needs a fresh director.. hopefully Fox sees that, and has someone willing to play.

 

I'm not convinced Fox isn't part of the problem.   They could be the ones responsible for skipping ahead of the ending of Prometheus so they could get back to "Xenomorph kills another ship of scientists one by one" formula.   When I see a formula...I think "studio interference".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daxtreme    5,912

Just came back from Alien, the themes explored in this movie are so fucking great! ... but then it pains me so much to see the missed opportunities at play here :mellow:

 

I mean, I liked it, but it could have been a classic if it wasn't for a few, but oh-so-big flaws. The movie definitely has something to say, it's got a voice, and splendid visuals to boot, it's a shame it doesn't work as well as it could.

 

Michael Fassbender kills it though, as usual.

 

Still, recommended, once the movie gets going, it's pretty good

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barnack    2,953
4 hours ago, baumer said:

 

Naaaa....midnights have been counted towards Fridy numbers forever.  And if those people didn't see it on Thursday they would have seen it over the weekend for sure....so the number is accurate.

 

Not all of them for sure (otherwise preview would be purely useless and studio would not try to make them larger and larger), but you cannot just remove them from the BO, because a lot of them would have seen it in the weekend (for some movie you have people going to the preview and going with other people like their kids during the weekend thought)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barnack said:

 

Not all of them for sure (otherwise preview would be purely useless and studio would not try to make them larger and larger), but you cannot just remove them from the BO, because a lot of them would have seen it in the weekend (for some movie you have people going to the preview and going with other people like their kids during the weekend thought)

 

If you have a preview number of 20 million, then maybe not everyone would see the film on the weekend if it wasn't available Thursday night, but when you have a number like 4 million, I think it's a pretty good assumption that those hardcores would see it opening weekend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barnack    2,953
7 minutes ago, baumer said:

 

If you have a preview number of 20 million, then maybe not everyone would see the film on the weekend if it wasn't available Thursday night, but when you have a number like 4 million, I think it's a pretty good assumption that those hardcores would see it opening weekend.

 

But at the very least you diminish double watch during the first weekend, but still it would be surprising that adding 7pm showing have 0 impact for a 2-10m previews, what would be the points of having them at all ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barnack said:

 

But at the very least you diminish double watch during the first weekend, but still it would be surprising that adding 7pm showing have 0 impact for a 2-10m previews, what would be the points of having them at all ?

 

My point is these people are seeing it as soon as they can.  If they don't see it on Thursday, do you expect them to wait until after the weekend to see it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barnack    2,953
17 hours ago, baumer said:

 

My point is these people are seeing it as soon as they can.  If they don't see it on Thursday, do you expect them to wait until after the weekend to see it?

 

For some yes (say you go camping or a weeding the weekend, but you have Thursday available), many people have something planned every weekend or almost in the summer.

 

Do you think 100% of them that goes Thursday would have gone that weekend ? Having no effect at all ? Can you explain what is the point of having them at all, that sound counter intuitive, more screening, more box office.

 

Saying that, I fully agree that a large part would have went that weekend.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamienRoc    10,738

If previews were truly something of an aberration, we would have seen them grow by quite a bit when the shift went from doing midnights to earlier showings. That didn't happen. The size of the previews has remained roughly on par with the size of the earlier midnights.

 

Part of this is due to the logistics of space. Theaters will take two or three screens and set them aside Thursday night for those previews, while they're still doing other showings. Back in the midnights only era, they would just show the film on a majority of their screens all at the same time(at least, during the midnight era when they didn't need actual film prints.) So for multi and megaplexes, the number of showtimes is probably going to be about the same as it was before. Holdover films are hurt a bit, by the loss of showtimes, but it hasn't seemed to be enough to really matter.

 

(It would be kind of nice if those slightly older films which had Day 0s that had showtimes start at 7pm or whatever would get those numbers folded into their opening day #s. I believe both the first Iron Man and first Transformers are two examples, but I know there are others.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barnack    2,953
1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

If previews were truly something of an aberration, we would have seen them grow by quite a bit when the shift went from doing midnights to earlier showings. That didn't happen. The size of the previews has remained roughly on par with the size of the earlier midnights.

 

We did saw them grow massively no ? A much smaller movie like Alien Covenant did much more than Promethus for a recent example, before you needed a really strong franchise to have midnight numbers now a minions will have a nice one.

 

Ultron made much more than Avengers, even Civil war made 25 million in previews versus 18.x for Avengers. I am not good at finding those numbers, but if I remember the list correctly the top 30 is over represented by movie after the previews started sooner (you have 2 show by screen instead of one now that they start at 7:00 pm and they are more accessible)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fancyarcher    32,425
On 5/21/2017 at 3:06 PM, Mulder said:

I do feel like Neil Blomkamp's Alien 3/5 would've attracted more interest then Covenant.

 

Reviews would have probably have been worse though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.