kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

But at the very least you diminish double watch during the first weekend, but still it would be surprising that adding 7pm showing have 0 impact for a 2-10m previews, what would be the points of having them at all ?

My point is these people are seeing it as soon as they can.  If they don't see it on Thursday, do you expect them to wait until after the weekend to see it?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, baumer said:

My point is these people are seeing it as soon as they can.  If they don't see it on Thursday, do you expect them to wait until after the weekend to see it?

For some yes (say you go camping or a weeding the weekend, but you have Thursday available), many people have something planned every weekend or almost in the summer.

Do you think 100% of them that goes Thursday would have gone that weekend ? Having no effect at all ? Can you explain what is the point of having them at all, that sound counter intuitive, more screening, more box office.

Saying that, I fully agree that a large part would have went that weekend.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

If previews were truly something of an aberration, we would have seen them grow by quite a bit when the shift went from doing midnights to earlier showings. That didn't happen. The size of the previews has remained roughly on par with the size of the earlier midnights.

Part of this is due to the logistics of space. Theaters will take two or three screens and set them aside Thursday night for those previews, while they're still doing other showings. Back in the midnights only era, they would just show the film on a majority of their screens all at the same time(at least, during the midnight era when they didn't need actual film prints.) So for multi and megaplexes, the number of showtimes is probably going to be about the same as it was before. Holdover films are hurt a bit, by the loss of showtimes, but it hasn't seemed to be enough to really matter.

(It would be kind of nice if those slightly older films which had Day 0s that had showtimes start at 7pm or whatever would get those numbers folded into their opening day #s. I believe both the first Iron Man and first Transformers are two examples, but I know there are others.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

If previews were truly something of an aberration, we would have seen them grow by quite a bit when the shift went from doing midnights to earlier showings. That didn't happen. The size of the previews has remained roughly on par with the size of the earlier midnights.

We did saw them grow massively no ? A much smaller movie like Alien Covenant did much more than Promethus for a recent example, before you needed a really strong franchise to have midnight numbers now a minions will have a nice one.

Ultron made much more than Avengers, even Civil war made 25 million in previews versus 18.x for Avengers. I am not good at finding those numbers, but if I remember the list correctly the top 30 is over represented by movie after the previews started sooner (you have 2 show by screen instead of one now that they start at 7:00 pm and they are more accessible)