MuffinMan

Mamma! Mia: Here! We! Go! Again! | July 20, 2018 | Universal | Ol Parker to write and direct | Greatest Title of All Time? Yes.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's even in the green on Metacritic and is likely to stay there too (the original got a 51 there). Reviews were probably not gonna affect this much either way but yeah, no way this doesn't make a killing now.

Any money Universal loses from Skyscraper is going to more than made up by Mamma Mia!

It's a pleasant surprise that they've managed to make a better sequel but TBH getting a decent script and director likely was the biggest factor. If I was Universal, I'd be trying to get Ol Parker to direct another musical or romcom, maybe he could team with Richard Curtis again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Any money Universal loses from Skyscraper is going to more than made up by Mamma Mia!

It's a pleasant surprise that they've managed to make a better sequel but TBH getting a decent script and director likely was the biggest factor. If I was Universal, I'd be trying to get Ol Parker to direct another musical or romcom, maybe he could team with Richard Curtis again. 

Between the successes of La La Land, Beauty and the Beast, The Greatest Showman, this, and almost certainly Mary Poppins Returns at the end of the year, studios really should take it as a sign as to how valuable musicals are and that there's no reason why they shouldn't make more of them. Yes, it's embarrassing when they flop (remember Nine? Or The Producers? Yeah, didn't think so), but when well-executed, the sky is clearly the limit.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Between the successes of La La Land, Beauty and the Beast, The Greatest Showman, this, and almost certainly Mary Poppins Returns at the end of the year, studios really should take it as a sign as to how valuable musicals are and that there's no reason why they shouldn't make more of them. Yes, it's embarrassing when they flop (remember Nine? Or The Producers? Yeah, didn't think so), but when well-executed, the sky is clearly the limit.

If Universal gets Wicked right, it'll gross $1bn WW. 

I think musicals hit a rough patch in the 2000s but they seem to be on the rise both in cinemas but also in the theatre.  I wonder if Paramount will look at doing a Book of Mormon movie or a studio taking Dear Evan Hansen? I've been dying to see Miss Saigon done as a movie and I hope Universal or another studio is willing to green light it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Considering the messed up timeline and ages in this series we could get that story in 5 years with Amanda playing a soon to be grandmother. 

With Cher as her daughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5