MuffinMan

Mamma! Mia: Here! We! Go! Again! | July 20, 2018 | Universal | Ol Parker to write and direct | Greatest Title of All Time? Yes.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Does not tend to hurt no (while outside of some freak schedule complication event), but huge budget franchise filled with actions track record to be good for a career is not that impressive, from the last 20 year's of Transformer, Lords of the Rings / Hobbit, Pirates, X-Mens, Potter, Bond, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, MCU/DCEU,  the Spider Mans, Bourne, well I imagine a semi long list I forget.

Would not be that easy to name 5 actress for who it was such the good career move, Watson, Johansson, Gadot for sure, must have been for Knightley also I would imagine.

But not so sure go make those instead of a good director movie if that ever option if front of them is necessarily that good of an career move.

Big blockbusters do pay, especially if you getting an actress to star in the movie (like Captain Marvel) vs simply being a side character.

Jennifer Lawrence hit it big with The Hunger Games and X-Men (granted, her awards career would have been okay without them likely)

Obviously Johansson, Watson, Gadot and Knightley benefited quite a bit from their franchise work

Star Wars was a wash for Natalie Portman, but it's propelled Daisy Ridley into the limelight, and likely was more positive than negative for Felicity Jones.

Evangeline Lily's gotten most of her work from Hobbit and Ant-Man.

You have Game of Thrones, which is a TV show obviously but still blockbuster type, that's turned Emilia Clarke, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner into more household names.  They've already gotten some high profile work from it, and may possibly get more when their schedules open up after it ends.

Margot Robbie was certainly the hit that came out of Suicide Squad, and her track record since then has been improving.

It's hard to say the Spider-Mans have had any negative effects on Kirsten Dunst, Emma Stone or Zendaya's careers.

I think it has more to do with the fact that franchises have been pretty male dominated when it comes to leads, so you're bigger name actresses are usually a bit pricier, especially when if they're playing a supporting role.  I doubt a blockbuster is necessarily a bad career move when the pay is pretty strong, unless you're locking yourself into only doing those blockbusters.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is that character good?

@Barnack It didn't hurt Lizzie, Zoe, Tessa, Cate, etc.

Dazzler has a reputation (for better or for worse) of being lame, but I feel that it has more to do with her inception than with the character itsefl (she was created as a crossover gimmick between Casablanca Records ---the label that was home to Donna Summer  during her disco heyday--- and Marvel to capitalize on the disco music craze in the seventies). I think her powerset is cool (she can turn soundwaves into light energy [including laserbeams]) and I feel that, if the MCU ever did a musical CBM, she could be the perfect star.  In her solo book, she was a disco singer who regularly used her powers innocently enough (to create stunning light shows for her concerts), but she battled some of the Marvel Universe's biggest threats: Doctor Doom, Enchantress, and Galactus (believe it or not). She actually killed Klaw (when he was a creature made of living sound) by fully absorbing his whole body into her mutant sound-transmuting biology.

3 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that franchises have been pretty male dominated when it comes to leads, so you're bigger name actresses are usually a bit pricier, especially when if they're playing a supporting role.  I doubt a blockbuster is necessarily a bad career move when the pay is pretty strong, unless you're locking yourself into only doing those blockbusters.

When they do pay (but I would imagine they are pushing the this is really good for you and have in your contract a lot of visibility included in marketing to not pay the actor) that is sure and if you achieve to lock yourself into doing those blockbuster for a long time it is also a really good career move (after a while you should be able to cash it big).

If I inferred in that text it was a bad move I was misunderstood, I am very literal when I challenge how good of a movie it is I am not implying without directly saying that it is a bad one.

6 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Jennifer Lawrence hit it big with The Hunger Games and X-Men (granted, her awards career would have been okay without them likely)

Not sure X-Men was that good for her, but Hunger Games, a bit like Twilight for Stewart before, was an 80m outside the studio smaller affair and that could be said for almost just her among all that cast.

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is that character good?

@Barnack It didn't hurt Lizzie, Zoe, Tessa, Cate, etc.

Dazzler is a blank slate character. There’s an fun and interesting story to be told about a pop star that becomes a superhero, but at this point the character is only around due to running gags and the absurdity of the thing.

15 hours ago, AJG said:

Dazzler is a blank slate character. There’s an fun and interesting story to be told about a pop star that becomes a superhero, but at this point the character is only around due to running gags and the absurdity of the thing.

Look. I support a Dazzler movie, if for the off chance of getting a Dazzler Thor.