MuffinMan

Mamma! Mia: Here! We! Go! Again! | July 20, 2018 | Universal | Ol Parker to write and direct | Greatest Title of All Time? Yes.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:15 AM, Pandamia! said:

I’m so mad, some reviews have no respect for people wanting to avoid mamma Mia spoilers 😡

I heard an interview with Amanda Seyfreid and she was asked to give the setup of the movie, she told us what happens in last 15 minutes as she seemed to think that happened at the start... safe to say the plot is not particularly relevant and you can't be spoiled of anything.

You go to see the dancing and the singing, how can it be spoiled ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eVerYtHING said:

I heard an interview with Amanda Seyfreid and she was asked to give the setup of the movie, she told us what happens in last 15 minutes as she seemed to think that happened at the start... safe to say the plot is not particularly relevant and you can't be spoiled of anything.

You go to see the dancing and the singing, how can it be spoiled ?

Excuse me?  But

Spoiler

Watching Sophie walk through the isle in the church with her new born baby while Meryl Streep sings to her (while also flashing back to Lily James) and then the baby birth scene, they were emotionally DEVASTATING!  Definitely makes you cry, don't want that spoiled for me.

Non-Spoiler Tl;dr

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is more emotional than Infinity War

This is definitely a better film than the original and it's really not difficult to see why reviews were kinder to this one. That movie was based on the smash hit stage play and had to adhere to its template of compiling a plot around ABBA's greatest hits to appease its fans, while this one had to be created entirely from scratch using only the first movie and put the plot before the song list (and allowed them to use some of the band's lesser-known songs after having plowed through all their biggest hits last time along with recycling some of those, which are also more organically inserted in this one). Probably also helped that they got someone experienced in moviemaking and not a theatre director making their film debut, since the acting is much more natural. Only way I think one could find the first better is if they are major fans of campiness, which isn't nearly as present (which is almost ironic considering they got the ultimate camp diva to appear in the sequel lol).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

I am quite suprised so many people think "Here We Go Again" is better than the first. I will not go...again.

We watched the movie yesterday and I left theatre a little bit...lukewarm. It's entertaining and definitely not bad, but it will never (ever) touch the first one for me. That one is my biggest guilty pleasures I could watch over and over. Only "Greatest Showman" comes close. Oh, and the first "Resident Evil" of course. (Watching these three as a trilogy is a total blast :sparta: )

I liked how they really put some effort in bringing back all the actors, even just for standing and sitting around most of the time. The returning actors were a little shallow but I guess that's all for giving more room to the youngsters.

Lily James was great while her girls seemed to be casted only to look like Christine Baranski and Julie Walters in their 20s.

The guys on the other side were like...what the hell? Seriously? They couldn't find any actors who would have matched the sirs better? Did they hire that flawless Han-Solo-casting-agent? :qotd:

But the main "problem" for me was something totally obvious: They used all the great(est) songs in the first one and while I love the "Knowing me knowing you" and "Fernando" scenes I only felt the magic of the first movie when they did the classic songs - at least till the climax where Meryl Streep once again proved that she capable of making every movie she's in something special. The moment she appeared I wished this movie would go on for another two hours. There are no words to describe her properly. 

Spoiler

Her scene with Amanda Seyfried gave me everything. I was sad when I heard Donna was dead but after this scene I was fine with the decision. It all made sense as this wonderful moment wouldn't have been possible without Donna leaving Sophie.

Regarding Cher: "Fernando" feels like the song was made for her to sing. It's perfect, it fits her range, it's like ABBA wrote this song decades ago with a movie adaption of their songs starring Cher in mind. As for the rest of the movie she felt like...stunt casting for me. But maybe this is because of her terrible (!) German voice. They gave her the voice of an 70 something year old woman...it sounds  awful when a woman who looks like in her 40s sounds like that. I nearly started laughing when she opened her mouth for the first time. Worst dubbing decision in the last couple of years. Totally took me out of movie. Pretty sure she's a lot better in the original, so I will give it another try when the Blu Ray it out. 

After all, "Mamma MIIA" is an entertaining movie I can recommend for a fun watch...but for me personally it misses much of the special feel the first one has.

• Like 1

As someone who for the first time watched Mamma Mia and Mamma Mia Here We Go Again back to back (basically only an hour break between viewings) I found Here We Go Again to be a far better film and yeah some of those final scenes actually got me emotionally. 

Pretty rare for a direct sequel that is released 10 years later to be better than the original

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

The first one feels pretty amateur. Here We Go Again is muuuuch more creatively staged and has a lot more interesting things going on directorially (I think that's a word). 

It also has Lily James who, as I said, is dynamite. She's marvelous and should be put in all the things.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The first one feels pretty amateur. Here We Go Again is muuuuch more creatively staged and has a lot more interesting things going on directorially (I think that's a word). 

It also has Lily James who, as I said, is dynamite. She's marvelous and should be put in all the things.

Phyllida Lloyd is a very good director, that's evident in her theatre work but I think that she was thrown in the deep end with Mamma Mia! I think the first film would have benefited from someone with film experience but I think Judy Craymer, the film's producer and the original creator of Mamma Mia! was adamant of keeping the original creative team and having female creatives for the film