Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

This summer doesn't feel the same without IMDB. This forum is great but other movies don't get nearly as much attention as the super hero stuff does and that forum was great on the weekend of these big releases for a wide variety of opinions and actual discussion. It was fun to lurk there and read what others were thinking. If you want examples just look at the threads for Wonder Woman, Justice League and Spider-Man compared to everything else that isn't Star Wars.

I don't know if that translates into the GA but if it is, it's kind of sad how the same movies have dominated the landscape and pretty much killed everything else.

• Like 4

It was great when the page the numbers were first posted on was included in the thread title, so you could easily find the projections from those numbers, which usually happen right after that.

I don't expect anyone to dig it up for me, but I vote for the page numbers in the future if whomever posts the numbers wouldn't mind including that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

It was great when the page the numbers were first posted on was included in the thread title, so you could easily find the projections from those numbers, which usually happen right after that.

I don't expect anyone to dig it up for me, but I vote for the page numbers in the future if whomever posts the numbers wouldn't mind including that.

Try the page numbers before page 18. That's the page I started on and I didn't find them anywhere from 18-25. The range is probably 12-18. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

They were originally posted here but Deadline then upped it's Pirates estimate to $24-26m

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24072-weekend-thread-pirates-55m-previews-early-friday-s-pirates-24-26m-baywatch-65-7m-no-derailments/?do=findComment&comment=3019676

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

Here's where the updated Pirates number is mentioned, along with holdovers: http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24072-weekend-thread-pirates-55m-previews-early-friday-s-pirates-24-26m-baywatch-65-7m-no-derailments/?do=findComment&comment=3019775

• Like 1

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

Thank you!!! and thank you @Nova and @TalismanRing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

This summer doesn't feel the same without IMDB. This forum is great but other movies don't get nearly as much attention as the super hero stuff does and that forum was great on the weekend of these big releases for a wide variety of opinions and actual discussion. It was fun to lurk there and read what others were thinking. If you want examples just look at the threads for Wonder Woman, Justice League and Spider-Man compared to everything else that isn't Star Wars.

I don't know if that translates into the GA but if it is, it's kind of sad how the same movies have dominated the landscape and pretty much killed everything else.

You won't find too many people here who liked IMDb, but I miss it so much. The "replacement" (Movie-Awards-Redux) is dead.

On topic: How is the score for new Pirates?

Edited by Travod
  • Like 2

Just got back from Pirates. Honestly fuck that movie. I'm in shock, it hurt me inside. Its disturbingly bad. Stranger Tides might even be better.  

I wanted it to break out, not anymore. Please no more movies. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

• Community Manager

I think you can look at the BO to see what translates to the GA. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Just got back from Pirates. Honestly fuck that movie. I'm in shock, it hurt me inside. Its disturbingly bad. Stranger Tides might even be better.  

Even if I don't end up liking it I would like more. Isn't that weird 

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I liked OST better too.  I enjoyed Rob Marshall's direction

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even if I don't end up liking it I would like more. Isn't that weird 

No I feel that way about lots of things. I hate Pirates 4 but I really wanted 5. I love the "outline" of the movie but I simply have no hope they can find a team to make a good movie. No one can do what Gore did so get him or stop trying. I just don't think they would get a director who can successfully handle the tone and scale or bring a fresh take at least. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

No I feel that way about lots of things. I hate Pirates 4 but I really wanted 5. I love the "outline" of the movie but I simply have no hope they can find a team to make a good movie. No one can do what Gore did so get him or stop trying. I just don't think they would get a director who can successfully handle the tone and scale or bring a fresh take at least. 

To me there is something entertaining about the Pirates movies regardless of the flaws. I am always open to spending sometime in this world especially since it is very different than the other franchises. Agree though that Gore Verbinski is the best person to probably steer this on course and please the most people 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

I don't know. I think there's plenty of directors out there who could do a good Pirates movie. I think the problem is they don't want to do it?

You can check the review the movie thread for some discussion, post your thoughts on the movie?

We have a smaller base than IMDb and our main focus is on Box Office.  So you won't see a lot of in specific forums for each movie.

If you want a place to lurk for in-depth movie discussion beyond this forum you could try Goldderby, Letterboxd, or maybe the RT forums?

• Like 1

I guess i forgot to look at who was directing Pirates when I made my 77/217 summer game prediction.  I saw that Super-Bowl trailer and I was like, 100M OW!!!  Then i saw the movie and I wanted to cry....I still enjoyed it though.  i just do not know why they bring these directors on board for 200M+ projects of loved franchises (or 47 Ronin)

12 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't know. I think there's plenty of directors out there who could do a good Pirates movie. I think the problem is they don't want to do it?

The tone Gore layed down is not an easy one to match. These last 3 directors weren't even close. Failed at the scale, failed at the comedy, failed at having likable characters, failed at having the energy and movement of the camera. They have to go fresh and get a director with there own vision, I just don't think Disney is/would do that with this franchise, I can hope. 

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

The tone Gore layed down is not an easy one to match. These last 3 directors weren't even close. Failed at the scale, failed at the comedy, failed at having likable characters, failed at having the energy and movement of the camera. They have to go fresh and get a director with there own vision, I just don't think Disney is/would do that with this franchise, I can hope. 

The scripts don't help either.   The only really good one was the first one so it's not as if Gore was hitting it out of the park with this series either.

I loved Kon Tiki  that these director's did.  I'm disappointed they couldn't revive this series or at least give it a good new fresh spin.