Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The scripts don't help either.   The only really good one was the first one so it's not as if Gore was hitting it out of the park with this series either.

I loved Kon Tiki  that these director's did.  I'm disappointed they couldn't revive this series or at least give it a good new fresh spin.

The directors are talented and I hear they do a good job at least with the action and shooting on the sea. The script sounds like it needed a lot of work. Too bad. Still I hope I enjoy the film 

Deadline updated their forecast: http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-dead-men-tell-no-tales-baywatch-box-office-weekend-1202102887/

Ever since Sony moved the start of summer to the first weekend in May with 2002’s Spider-Man ($114.8M), it has arguably never been the same, with bigger films launching in the first corridor of the month and sucking up all the air at the B.O. (case in point: This weekend, Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 looks to beat Paramount’s Baywatch for second place with an estimated $20.4M over 3-days and $26.6M over 4-days in its fourth frame).

However, the problem with this holiday stretch in recent years isn’t because moviegoers have abandoned it for beaches and barbecues, rather it’s due to the lackluster product that’s out there from offbeat I.P. to dull Nth sequels –i.e. Prince of Persia, Tomorrowland, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Baywatch and the blase turnout for X-Men: Apocalypse and now this year’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales which at a $230M negative cost before P&A is coming in well below its $80M-$85M projections with $62.3M over 3-days and $76.3M. Each year we stand here and look ahead thinking next year’s goods is going to reverse this soft Memorial Day trend. Fingers crossed for Disney/Lucasfilm’s Han Solo Star Wars anthology movie next year.

Baywatch isn’t bailing out Paramount after a atrocious stateside 2017 that includes xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, Monster Trucks, Rings and Ghost in the Shell. Tracking had this movie over 5 days in the $40M range, maybe even hitting $50M, and this Dwayne Johnson-Zac Efron combo is going to come in with $26.1M, just a tad higher than the three-day for Neighbors 2:Sorority Rising ($21.8M opening/$55.4M domestic).

Filing fourth is 20th Century Fox’s Alien: Covenant with an estimated $12.3M over three days (-66%) and $15.3M over four for a running total of $62.1M by end of Monday.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The scripts don't help either.   The only really good one was the first one so it's not as if Gore was hitting it out of the park with this series either.

I loved Kon Tiki  that these director's did.  I'm disappointed they couldn't revive this series or at least give it a good new fresh spin.

Honestly in terms of cutting, packing details in the frame (production design), delivering one liners, having colorful cinematography & lighting, getting performances from actors, camera movement,  is all unquestionably better in the Gore film. the music is ingrateed 10000x better too. Were they all too long, sure, yes they were. but Gore's an actual craftsman. 

4 minutes ago, kswiston said:

Really impressive number for Guardians though.

Really impressive drop for A:C.

Edited by aabattery

5 minutes ago, Rth neutral said:

Fri looking 

POTC2 22.6,BW 5.6,GOTG2 4.9

giphy.gif

Great Guardians number. With a Civil War Fri multiple, it gets to 18.9M for the 3-day. Of course, all signs point to it performing better if every other weekend is to go by. It's also 900K above Civil War was on the same Memorial Weekend Friday.

Nice stuff.

Rest is pretty stink though.

Edited by aabattery

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

If that # is legit for GotG then that's just a 41% drop for the 3-day. Should pass the original on Sunday en route to potentially $375m+

With this hold 400M is still alive. Legs have been very good from the beginning.

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

With this hold 400M is still alive. Legs have been very good from the beginning.

Next week it will be hit hard. I dont see how 400m will happen. This week there is some boost with dual features with Pirates. Next week even drive ins will be taken over by  Wonder Woman. I would say 55-60% post memorial weekend drop will happen.