Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

I have to imagine Disney is really happy that they didn't make a National Treasure 3. There's no way it wouldn't pull an Inferno if it were made now (almost 10 years since the second out).

The answer is clearly to purchase the Sherlock Holmes rights from WB and make a crossover movie with RDJ and Cage. That would do really well for certain.

• Like 1

Wow damn! I feel embarrassed and quite disappointed, I really wanted Baywatch to do well but now it looks like Rough Night or The House could be the big comedies of the summer.

As for Pirates, it should make at least $135 million total but while it's good for Johnny Depp(considering he hasn't had a $100 million grosser since 2011) but not too great for Disney.

Overall June looks hopeful but that's not saying much.

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

NOOOOOOO haha. Listen to my podcast. The dude couldn't shoot proper big budget dialogue scenes, he shoots them like comedies, locked off, single shots. GOTG 2 was a comedy more than Adventure movie. Thats exactly what Pirates NEEDS to stay away from. 

I dont agree but whatever. Joss Whedon could also pull it off imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Impact said:

I did enjoy Pirates 5, but I kind of hope it is the last one-if there is a part 6 I think Depp should be supporting instead of a lead. (I wouldn't mind a part 6, I just felt it wrapped it up nicely.)
LOL@at how much Babewatch is doing.

wait, he's the lead of Pirates 5?? I thought it was Will's son???

BTW, I do think even if Pirates 5 has some really rough legs and misses 150/700 DOM/WW, there's still a good chance another film happens. Jerry Bruckheimer has absolutely nothing else going on currently, and is desperate for hits to come out of his production company. If they can somehow find a way to reign in the budget by even $50M, then I think Pirates 6 definitely gets the greenlight.

9 minutes ago, Blankments said:

wait, he's the lead of Pirates 5?? I thought it was Will's son???

This may be getting a bit spoilery, but Jack is in the film at least as much as Will's son. He just doesn't really do anything heroic. 

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

BTW, I do think even if Pirates 5 has some really rough legs and misses 150/700 DOM/WW, there's still a good chance another film happens. Jerry Bruckheimer has absolutely nothing else going on here, and is desperate for hits to come out of his production company. If they can somehow find a way to reign in the budget by even $50M, then I think Pirates 6 definitely gets the greenlight.

Also moving it to March or August might be good 

Pirates 5 had more potential but weak last minute marketing push and 32% rating dampened it

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news for about 95% of your viewing experience.

No, I've heard he's barely in it. Which is stupid to me but whatever, I'm sure he'll still be good

17 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

NOOOOOOO haha. Listen to my podcast. The dude couldn't shoot proper big budget dialogue scenes, he shoots them like comedies, locked off, single shots. GOTG 2 was a comedy more than Adventure movie. Thats exactly what Pirates NEEDS to stay away from. 

If I had to give it to anyone besides Verbinski, I'd probably go with Mangold BUT not with how he shot Logan, think The Wolverine. There's a lot of wacky action in that movie that really could fit in a Pirates movie if, well, a Pirates movie was set in the modern day lol. Bullet train fight, the woodchipper fight in the extended cut, etc.

Oh, and to finally post on topic (lol), Baywatch # is shocking. Like WTF?

• Like 1

the Alien floopage is so satisfying. Seems like catering to fans is bad business for any studio not named Disney.

There's hope for blockbuster cinema, after all.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Pirates 6 is happening for sure. There is enough fan base to sustain it. Getting Will/Keira to play a bigger part should help. I agree with Marston that move it away from summer. Feb/March or Aug/Oct could help.

When marketing was its best (Feb/March) I could definitely see interest. Too bad it couldn't be sustained. 

I don't know if Disney got cold feet over the whole Johnny Depp-Amber Heard scandal or if it was another factor, but centering their entire marketing over that vanilla Brendan Thwaites kid was really not a smart move. 

Hiring him in the first place was all wrong. He has the charisma of a bar of soap. I wish Hollywood would stop trying to make these bland pretty boys happen.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Between Asgardian and Deadline I will always trust only one person unless deadline numbers came in lot later. I think both of them provided numbers around the same time here.

One of them is looking at the actual numbers and the other is getting them second hand. 

• Like 3