Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

there is a lower than projection trend ongoing since FF8....

The march's release were all ended up higher than projection, but starting from FF8, everything has changed.....

hope wonder woman on next week could revert this trend

March was the climax of the Atom/Fandango discount "fights"...they ended March 31 and now we've just had some random discounts here and there (back then Atom let you stack BOGOs and $5 codes, so people were seeing movies for almost nothing).  I don't think that's a coincidence...now how much it helped the Feb/Mar movies and how much the movies themselves helped (being better audience and critically rated, having more balance in the industry, etc) is still TBD:)...

4 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

It's not original, it's based on a novel

Original meaning non-sequel/non-remake - it was the 1st time made on a screen...maybe I should say "new":)...but then every movie is technically "new"... 

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

I think if Wrinkle in Time and Magic Camp breakout like I think, Disney may make more originals.

Isn't Wrinkle in time a reboot?

Ps: I'll give my support to magic camp if it looks at least interesting. I want see it doing more original movies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Isn't Wrinkle in time a reboot?

Ps: I'll give my support to magic camp if it looks at least interesting. I want see it doing more original movies.

It is based of a book, but Disney hasn't made a Wrinkle in Time movie in the past.

• Like 1

Guardians - smash hit

King Arthur - disappointment

Snatched - disappointment

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

Baywatch - disappointment

Wonder Woman - smash hit (probably)

"Why does Hollywood keep making these annoying superhero movies?"

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Not everything has to be a shared universe. I think it's just time to move on.

The PotC films, while not perfect by any means, have a pretty good place among blockbuster cinema of the past decades. And part of the reason is how fresh they felt when they came out - pirate movies were dead at the time, and the added injection of fantasy gave the saga a lot of energy and inventiveness. Let's leave them in their place and seek the next new pleasure, instead of sucking the life out of this one. It deserves better.

They should to do a test if PotC has success without Johnny deep in a spin off, if the movie shows up a good business, they should fire him of the main saga. I say this because I know they never will fire him with no proof.

7 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

NOOOOOOO haha. Listen to my podcast. The dude couldn't shoot proper big budget dialogue scenes, he shoots them like comedies, locked off, single shots. GOTG 2 was a comedy more than Adventure movie. Thats exactly what Pirates NEEDS to stay away from. 

Sstrongly disagree. Gunn doesn't want to do that franchise, but his movies are always fresh, risky, and he's great with the spectacle, with the comedy, with the heart and with the drama too. And that's everything a big blockbuster movie needs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It is based of a book, but Disney hasn't made a Wrinkle in Time movie in the past.

Disney didn't, but it has been a tv movie...it shouldn't be too hard to bring something newer and to be better than a tv movie, but time will tell...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

How many of your posts are variations of this? You seems a tad insecure about it all.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

I don't wanna sound pretentious/smartass or anything, but you add that to the fact that all three, probably four big superhero movies released from February to June this year - Lego Batman, Logan, GOTG V2 and Wonder Woman - all got strong critical and audience acclaim, and right there, you've got your reason to continue doing these.

(Now let's just hope that Spider-Man, Thor and JLA don't break the strong streak.)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

You misspelled apocalyptic bomb. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

They should to do a test if PotC has success without Johnny deep in a spin off, if the movie shows up a good business, they should fire him of the main saga. I say this because I know they never will fire him with no proof.

I don't really think Johny Depp was the reason for the failure of this one.

You can't put the blame on him.

The movie had poor reviews and came after 6 years from the last one .

People not belonging to the core base had moved one. Pirates are simply not such a hot brand anymore.

Depp didnt help but he wasn't the key reason of failure either.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

Let's wait and see who will be the next to scream that "SUPERHERO FATIGUE!" BS. 

In the last years many comic book movies are among the best (and biggest) recent blockbusters, they're saving summers and studios. It's sad that some critics are biased against them.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

We get it, superhero films are huge successes and every other film is a disappointment or whatever.  You've made that abundantly clear in a lot of your posts.

• Like 1