Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

Just now, That One Valerian said:

I don't think many people are claiming that superhero fatigue actually exists.  And even when people do that shit dies down quickly.  So why do people keep bringing it up?

Sounds like you have superhero fatigue fatigue.

• Like 8

Just now, aabattery said:

Sounds like you have superhero fatigue fatigue.

Symptoms include:

- Sleepiness 

- Nausea

- Denial of Valerian's floppage

- and many more

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

I don't think many people are claiming that superhero fatigue actually exists.  And even when people do that shit dies down quickly.  So why do people keep bringing it up?

2018 superhero schedule:

Febraury: Black Panther

April: New Mutants

May: Infinity War

June: Deadpool 2 (and if you want to count it, Incredibles 2)

July: Ant Man 2

October: Venom

November: Dark Phoenix 

December: Spider-Man: The Animated Movie and Aquaman

2018 might be a problematic year but I think the majority will be okay.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Just now, That One Valerian said:

shut up valerian is technically a cbm so you guys should be all over that shit.

Not going to lie, I'm seeing Valerian day one, seeing trailers for it in 3D makes it look so good.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I don't wanna sound pretentious/smartass or anything, but you add that to the fact that all three, probably four big superhero movies released from February to June this year - Lego Batman, Logan, GOTG V2 and Wonder Woman - all got strong critical and audience acclaim, and right there, you've got your reason to continue doing these.

(Now let's just hope that Spider-Man, Thor and JLA don't break the strong streak.)

BVS and Suicide Squad= $655m domestic combined ($1.619 bi  WW, *SS not released in China), And they are not "acclaimed" movies.

Edited by bruchav
  • Like 3

I disagree that Snatched is a disappointment. It's doing alright. The fact Baywatch isn't gonna finish much higher than it despite having The Rock makes that movie's performance even more embarrassing.

I agree that with blockbusters opening all year round now (and the more appealing options at that), summer is just looking like a less and less special time to open a movie unless you're that first weekend in May. Then again, all the flops/disappointments so far could be seen coming from a mile away.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I disagree that Snatched is a disappointment. It's doing alright. The fact Baywatch isn't gonna finish much higher than it despite having The Rock makes that movie's performance even more embarrassing.

I agree that with blockbusters opening all year round now (and the more appealing options at that), summer is just looking like a less and less special time to open a movie unless you're that first weekend in May. Then again, all the flops/disappointments so far could be seen coming from a mile away.

I thought last year was pretty balanced in terms of big openers in the Summer. Suicide Squad, SLOP, FTSBF, and Civil War all opened in different months to big numbers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

shut up valerian is technically a cbm so you guys should be all over that shit.

Relax. I'm just kidding. That movie looks great and I love 'The Fifth Element' and space operas. I will see the movie, no doubt! :sparta:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Guardians - smash hit

King Arthur - disappointment

Snatched - disappointment

Alien - disappointment

PotC5 - disappointment

Baywatch - disappointment

Wonder Woman - smash hit (probably)

"Why does Hollywood keep making these annoying superhero movies?"

The comparison is actually unfair though considering that all those "disapointments" you mentioned had terrible reviews and most of them terrible marketing as well.

Especially this year we had some big success stories coming from non-superheroe films.

Split and Get Out did incredibly well, while Beauty and F8 will probably end up with Logan's, Guardians2 and WW's numbers combined worldwide.

People will come to see a movie If it has a good marketing and it deserves it.

I am not trying to pretend that superheroe fatigue exists but its not like anything non-superheroe related flops.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

imagine if Pirate 5 drops hard on next week, get out could grosses more than it.....
$4.5m small film beats $200m blockbuster franchise 

Yeah, would be nice and unbelievable!!

And i think it will happen!!!

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought last year was pretty balanced in terms of big openers in the Summer. Suicide Squad, SLOP, FTSBF, and Civil War all opened in different months to big numbers

This summer kinda reminds me of 2005. Probably because that summer had a couple of hits (10 movies released between the beginning of May and the end of August made $100M+) and a lot of disappointments, including the deadly back-to-back combo of The Island and Stealth (which prompted a bunch of articles speculating how it was possible for a $100M+ summer big budget extravaganza to post numbers that dismal).

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This summer kinda reminds me of 2005. Probably because that summer had a couple of hits (10 movies released between the beginning of May and the end of August made $100M+) and a lot of disappointments, including the deadly back-to-back combo of The Island and Stealth (which prompted a bunch of articles speculating how it was possible for a $100M+ summer big budget extravaganza to post numbers that dismal).

RIP Josh Lucas career.

Poseidon was the salt on the wound.

• Like 5