Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

17 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

Let's wait and see who will be the next to scream that "SUPERHERO FATIGUE!" BS. 

In the last years many comic book movies are among the best (and biggest) recent blockbusters, they're saving summers and studios. It's sad that some critics are biased against them.

Yeah quite sad, all of these 80% and 90% RT scores could be 95% or 100% if the critics didn't have such a hatred for superhero movies. They're all so biased :(

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This summer kinda reminds me of 2005. Probably because that summer had a lot of high-profile disappointments and a couple of hits (10 movies released between the beginning of May and the end of August made $100M+), including the deadly back-to-back combo of The Island and Stealth (which prompted a bunch of articles speculating how it was possible for a $100M+ summer big budget extravaganza to post numbers that dismal).

Damn, I had forgotten how terrible that summer was.

War of the Worlds was ok and I still enjoy Wedding Crashers, but just about everything else was awful.

Edited by Chaz

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

RIP Josh Lucas career.

Poseidon was the salt on the wound.

Kurt Russell finally bounced back from that one

3 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Damn, I had forgotten how terrible that summer was.

War of the Worlds was ok and I still enjoy Wedding Crashers, but just about everything else was awful.

But...Batman Begins 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Kurt Russell finally bounced back from that one

Thank god for the Belgian ale vs Corona war. I'm not sure where he'd be without it.

• Like 2

Just now, Chaz said:

Oh damn, you're right. The only really good movie that summer.

I'd probably say War of the Worlds is better (top tier Spielberg) but Begins is really good as well

• Like 3

Just now, MrPink said:

2006 was a pretty shit summer overall if I recall. Might be worse than 05.

Blockbusters were trash but you had legends like Devil Wears Prada and You Me and Dupree (genius Russos)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't really think Johny Depp was the reason for the failure of this one.

You can't put the blame on him.

The movie had poor reviews and came after 6 years from the last one .

People not belonging to the core base had moved one. Pirates are simply not such a hot brand anymore.

Depp didnt help but he wasn't the key reason of failure either.

I didn't say that.

Disney pays to Deep a huge money and I don't see the point anymore. This franchise needs something fresh and Deep is tiring already.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

2006 was a pretty shit summer overall if I recall. Might be worse than 05.

Definitely. It's pretty telling that The Devil Wears Prada and Talladega Nights were probably the highlights of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Blockbusters were trash but you had legends like Devil Wears Prada and You Me and Dupree (genius Russos)

Tom Hanks' hair was the real legend of that Summer.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

How many of your posts are variations of this? You seems a tad insecure about it all.

I'm just a silent guardian, a watchful protector (of the superhero genre). :sparta:

And insecure about what? Box office and critical success? :insane:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'd probably say War of the Worlds is better (top tier Spielberg) but Begins is really good as well

It think it's great until Tim Robbins shows up in it. Then it goes downhill, and the characters never make an impression. But that first half is truly chilling, I'll give you that. I love Spielberg when he's mean.

It's sort of weird how 10 Cloverfield Lane is pretty much the Tim Robbins segment in WotW, but good.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yeah quite sad, all of these 80% and 90% RT scores could be 95% or 100% if the critics didn't have such a hatred for superhero movies. They're all so biased :(

"some critics"