Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't really think Johny Depp was the reason for the failure of this one.

You can't put the blame on him.

The movie had poor reviews and came after 6 years from the last one .

People not belonging to the core base had moved one. Pirates are simply not such a hot brand anymore.

Depp didnt help but he wasn't the key reason of failure either.

I don't think it's fair to call POTC5 a failure until we get the WW returns. This film was always aimed at a global audience, not a primarily DOM one. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I don't think it's fair to call POTC5 a failure until we get the WW returns. This film was always aimed at a global audience, not a primarily DOM one. 

Yeah, both it and Transformers aren't really going to be disappointments at all (even with DOM decreases).  Even in the 700m range (which seems like the low end for both) will bring a profit for both franchises.

People are too reactionary here.  King Arthur is a bomb.  Alien, Pirates and (maybe) Baywatch may be pulling in disappointing numbers but they still won't cost the studios money, and in Pirates case, it's sure to bring quite a bit of profit in.

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Question which is more bold:

Incredibles 2 over Jurassic World 2 domestic

or

Incredibles 2 over Han Solo domestic

Personally I would say the first option, but I've learned with Rogue One that you should never underestimate Star Wars (in the U.S., at least).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Yeah I didnt mean it that way actually.

The failure of retaining its audience to be precise.

So, what's it gonna take to be the #5 movie this summer?  Here's the last few (and this takes in all BO, not just through Labor Day, so the BO total for our summer games will probably be a little lower)...

2016 - Jason Bourne $162.4M

2015 - Mission Impossible RN $195.0M

2014 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $208.5M

2013 - Fast and Furious 6 $238.6M

2012 - Madagascar 3 $216.3M

All those stressing that all these May movies are probably missing Top 15...yeah, they probably mostly are...BUT they might not, looking at past summers and the big drop offs from #4 to #5-#15...and we've been falling, not really rising, for values to hit those #5-#15 spots...

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

For those and @franfar are wondering about Han's fake summer predictions, we have 10/20 so far. Those 10 are:

Emoji Movie

Spider-Man: Homecoming 

Cars 3

Dunkirk

The House

Baby Driver

The Mummy

Valerian

Detroit

Girl's Trip

Why did you @ me?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

I think Pirates could increase today, it had small previews and doesn't seem to be playing as if it's overly frontloaded.

I wouldn't count on it. Memorial day weekend Saturdays always have muted increases, so I would say it wil probably hit $20M today.

Bad numbers for both, but I'll say this: outside of Alien, it feels like most movies have found their strength on Saturday and Sunday this year. Even BATB and GOTG2, huge as they are, had mildly disappointing Fridays before mammoth Saturday and Sundays, despite being parts of franchises. Even frontloaded movies like John Wick 2 and Logan and 50 Shades did much better on Saturday than expected. Maybe moviegoing patterns are changing a bit, with less frontloaded mammoth Fridays for most movies and better weekend IMs. I have no empirical evidence, just something I've observed for a year or so. So maybe these movies do a lil better than expected today. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

I think Pirates could increase today, it had small previews and doesn't seem to be playing as if it's overly frontloaded.

From Friday + Previews? I guess a 25M Saturday isn't out of reach. 

• Like 1