Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Moderation: Knock it off with the Marvel vs DC talk in this thread. Tele is angry but can't post in this thread because he banned himself as a joke.

:huh: I don't see any marvel vs DC talk

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

People CONSTANTLY overestimate how many theaters movies are going to lose. It happened with The Circle and King Arthur, now it's happening with this. 

The Circle dropped 56%, Arthur dropped 53%, this dropped 71% on a holiday weekend. Prometheus even dropped 59.4%. Alien is definitely losing 400-700 theaters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Any midsize theater isn't getting rid of Alien for another 3 weeks. Calm down y'all. 

This w/e's holiday inflated  PTA  - 2,788.  Next week it will be under 1k.  It's not holding onto 3,700 theaters with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theaters with 10+ screens still have Snatched, King Arthur, Everything Everything, and Wimpy Kid to get rid of before Alien, and that's not even including what's around this weekend. Plus, Pirates and Baywatch will shed additional screens before Alien goes.

They'll start getting rid of those next weekend. I'm saying the week after, it's gonna shed very quickly. Because Alien is gonna be around 4 million next weekend.

Just now, YourMother said:

The Circle dropped 56%, Arthur dropped 53%, this dropped 71% on a holiday weekend. Prometheus even dropped 59.4%. Alien is definitely losing 400-700 theaters.

Again, I'm not denying that, but people are making it like it'll lose 1,200+ theaters.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

This w/e's holiday inflated  PTA  - 2,788.  Next week it will be under 1k.  It's not holding onto 3,700 theaters with that.

You said the same thing about The Circle and that held on pretty well :redcapes: 

• Like 2

Spider-Man 3 remains one of my favorite movie-going experiences. Midnight screening, sold out, everyone is pumped... and within 10 minutes of realizing something was up, the entire audience turned into MST3K (and everyone laughed).

That said, 3 is bad but it's not a disaster and I hate how revisionist history (something fandom always does when the new version rolls along) shits all over the preceding iteration when at the time they couldn't get enough of it. Those first two Raimi films were beloved (hence 3 breaking the 3-day record) and Tobey is still Spider-Man in the eyes of the general public. Funny gifs (taken out of context) and all.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theaters with 10+ screens still have Snatched, King Arthur, Everything Everything, and Wimpy Kid to get rid of before Alien, and that's not even including what's around this weekend. Plus, Pirates and Baywatch will shed additional screens before Alien goes.

Wouldn't surprise me if theaters were more eager to drop Alien before Everything Everything. The PTA between both movies is already perilously close.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Again, I'm not denying that, but people are making it like it'll lose 1,200+ theaters.

You said the same thing about The Circle and that held on pretty well :redcapes: 

Really?  It dropped like a rock.  It lost 1,000 theaters (and far more screens) it's 3rd w/e and in it's 4th it's down to 647.  Alien at 3,700+ theaters has even more theaters to lose.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

They'll start getting rid of those next weekend. I'm saying the week after, it's gonna shed very quickly. Because Alien is gonna be around 4 million next weekend.

Let's use my theater as an example:

POTC on 2 screens

Baywatch on 2 screens

Alien on 2 screens

GOTG

Everything

Wimpy Kid

Snatched

King Arthur

Boss Baby/F8

Next weekend, they're going to get rid of the additional screens for Baywatch and Alien, Boss Baby/F8, and probably put Wimpy Kid and Everything on a split screen. That's 4 screens freed up. The following weekend, let's assume Mummy on two screens, It Comes at Night, and Megan Leavey come. WW probably loses the third screen, and then they'll get rid of EE/Wimpy Kid, Snatched, and Arthur. June 16 is when Alien will have a big TC loss.

Shit, Alien could be gone June 9 if they don't want to get rid of POTC's second screen or WW's third.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

The only openers that shed theaters brutally on 3rd weekend are 5M openers. Everything else holds most theaters until his 3rd weekend. Just look at The Devil Inside. Alien should follow that when it comes to theater drops.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

And they wrap it all up with an “oh I'm sorry. I still love you man" letter!!!!

That is pretty true. I was disappointed w/that ending (as well as w/the lack of risk... it's called Civil War but they don't even have the balls to kill Hawkeye). Though they are still split, technically.... but in good terms, so...... yeah I agree, that was kinda lame.

Still, I do think that the combo of great cast + strong characters and chemistry between them + perfectly clear motivations as to why (almost) everybody's doing what they're doing (unlike in BVS, where most motivations are blurry) + really great action (not overly bothered w/the comedy in the airport fight, though it does get annoying in certain parts... but not enough that it kills the scene for me) make it a good one. I totally get the complaints, both the lack of stakes one and all the others (Zemo's plan being super convenient, slow pacing, shaky cam, etc.), but to me the good outweighs the bad.

Anyway, let's just happily celebrate Bryce Dallas Howard having a more memorable character in Spider-Man 3 than in Jurassic World :ph34r:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Let's use my theater as an example:

POTC on 2 screens

Baywatch on 2 screens

Alien on 2 screens

GOTG

Everything

Wimpy Kid

Snatched

King Arthur

Boss Baby/F8

Next weekend, they're going to get rid of the additional screens for Baywatch and Alien, Boss Baby/F8, and probably put Wimpy Kid and Everything on a split screen. That's 4 screens freed up. The following weekend, let's assume Mummy on two screens, It Comes at Night, and Megan Leavey come. WW probably loses the third screen, and then they'll get rid of EE/Wimpy Kid, Snatched, and Arthur. June 16 is when Alien will have a big TC loss.

I don't personally follow your theater so I can't speak for how it'll react.

But for one, I feel like Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants only working on  some 4 screens combined is gonna result in some potential demand issues and that will stream over to June 9th in terms of organizing what to keep. I think it's gonna happen June 9th. I didn't predict 160 for Alien so I feel good about this 

Edited by MrPink