Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Tele actually pulled a Superman 2 and made himself powerless to save BOT:rofl:

Superman did it from a place of love though (and he wanted to get laid).

Tele - who knows what demons drive him.

To give credit where due, it would have stayed dead but CJohn resurrected it. :P

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Cause Blade Runner was hated back in its day and now it's beloved. 

I think that's where he's coming from. Grace Randolph did a similar thing, calling it The Shining of superhero movies.

Blade Runner became respected and revered as a sci fi classic which is a bit different than SM3 or Batman and Robin which people watch in a "it's so bad, it's good" way.

Judging from these pathetic drops of holdovers and flopping openers, it is more than certain that next wknd total will be bigger than this holiday wknd. First time since 2003 for a post Memorial Day wknd to gross more than the MD wknd

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Rth is probably at a cookout in Beverly Hills and BOM won't update till Monday.

This thread is doomed. :sparta:

We just need a subject's box office potential to discuss like this:

MV5BMTk5MDUwMTkzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM2

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 5

Any kind of estimate would be fine by me... Jesus it's taking forever. I wonder if Disney is holding back so they can figure out how to shift some dough over to the pirates chest to save some image... or maybe they are creating some unique estimates to grab the headlines, only to disappoint us all on Tuesday.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

We just need a subject to discuss like this:

MV5BMTk5MDUwMTkzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM2

Or how about we talk about something actually exciting coming up this summer.

Like... IDK....

A MOTHERFUCKING GHOST STORY

• Like 1

Very happy for F. Gary Gray that F8 made 1B OS, didn't think it was possible. Haven't seen F8 yet, but good for him and for Universal. And a shed of good news for The Rock, I guess :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Blade Runner became respected and revered as a sci fi classic which is a bit different than SM3 or Batman and Robin which people watch in a "it's so bad, it's good" way.

Indeed. Though he was talking about BVS, which, while slowly, has had its reputation gone a little up since it came out (through Extended Cut, Suicide Squad making it look good, and perhaps even a better appreciation of the original cut too). Obviously it's not and will NEVER be Blade Runner, and BR is far from the only example of a movie gone from reviled to adored (and most of them, other examples being The Shining and Fight Club, are still miles better than Batman V Superman), but I understand what he was going through in his thought process.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't personally follow your theater so I can't speak for how it'll react.

But for one, I feel like Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants only working on  some 4 screens combined is gonna result in some potential demand issues and that will stream over to June 9th in terms of organizing what to keep. I think it's gonna happen June 9th. I didn't predict 160 for Alien so I feel good about this 

They're only giving Captain Underpants one screen; normally at my AMC, presales will only have one 2D screen available with more added a couple days before release. For Captain Underpants, they're having 2D and 3D share a screen, so it's not likely it gets more than one screen unless tracking picks up. They made a big mistake on POTC by only giving it 2 screens and have been scrambling to get more showings in. Baywatch and Alien did not need two screens this weekend.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Be careful.  Tele may just be setting everyone up for the old switcheroo.

Superman-bows-to-Zod-in-Superman-II.jpg

Reminds me of certain someone getting their hand crushed by France's president. :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Or how about we talk about something actually exciting coming up this summer.

Like... IDK....

A MOTHERFUCKING GHOST STORY

Or Motherfucking Valerian and the Motherfucking City of a Motherfucking Thousand Motherfucking Planets?

starring samuel l. jackson

• Like 1

BR wasn't exactly reviled, it just wasn't universally praised and wasn't a box office success but it had it's passionate critical supporters and even those less high on it like Ebert praised it's world building and viewed it as a technical achievement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/blade-runner-1982-movie-original-904438

It all adds up to a virtual feast for sci-fi devotees, not to mention audiences who appreciate decidely off-beat themes and substance worth debate. For them all, Blade Runner will require more than one visit to get all the implications.

The picture is a triumph for Scott, who whallops over the "B.R." thesis and atmosphere with a strong sense of style, and relentlessness. He is aided immeasurably by Lawrence G. Paull's breathtaking production design and the strong special photographic and visual effects supervised by Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer, Jordan Cronenweth's cinematography is also noteworthy and underneath it all, eerie music by Vangelis, often emphasizing a wailing saxophone, makes as much of an impact as did his score for the decidedly different cup of tea, Chariots of Fire.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/blade-runner-1982-1

The visual environments he creates for this film are wonderful to behold, and there's a sense of detail, too; we don't just get the skyways and the monolithic skyscrapers and the sky-taxis, we also get notions about how restaurants, clothes and home furnishing will look in 2020 (not too different). "Blade Runner" is worth attending just to witness this artistry.

The movie's weakness, however, is that it allows the special effects technology to overwhelm its story. Ford is tough and low-key in the central role, and Rutger Hauer and Sean Young are effective as two of the replicants, but the movie isn't really interested in these people -- or creatures.

The obligatory love affair is pro forma, the villains are standard issue, and the climax is yet one more of those cliffhangers, with Ford dangling over an abyss by his fingertips. The movie has the same trouble as the replicants: Instead of flesh and blood, its dreams are of mechanical men.