Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

B/c it has so much less competition coming in the next few weeks than Apocalypse did?

Because the Pirates franchise is less front loaded by nature than the X-Men franchise.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Just waiting for a comeback and you roasting Ninjago. But I'll stop the jokes for a while.

That's because no one actually bothers to remember that Ninjago is coming out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Because the Pirates franchise is less front loaded by nature than the X-Men franchise.

That's because no one actually bothers to remember that Ninjago is coming out

The Pirates franchise USED to be less front-loaded...as we've seen from mutliple sequeled franchises, they become more and more about the fans and less about the GA...and this movie seems pretty set up as a fan only piece...no one is saying "GA, you'll get something out of this"...

I mean Aliens used to draw GA, too...

• Like 1

@Ethan Hunt Well...... Allegiant and Fury Road do share the capability of giving people a certain emotion, so there's that.

Spoiler

Fury Road gives people an adrenaline rush of awesomeness, and Allegiant (allegedly, according to my friend who saw it) gives people sheer anger and sadness [of why did they pay to see it, but nevertheless].

That's something :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't think it will drop hard because of WW, i see both co-existing.

I can see + $ 55m domestic, and more $ 15 - 20m OS, for totals around $ 850 - 860m.

historically I have never seen SH movies hold well when another one opens big. So that would be unprecedented. Plus I think it will lose many drive in theaters(double features with Pirates) as they will do WW double feature with something. It will drop hard for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The only way for GV2 to do over BvS WW is if it pulls in $385M-$390M domestic and does around $485M OS. I don't think that's happening.

It made $20 O/S over the last week - no way it does $35-40m more unless it made that $20m all in Japan - which it didn't.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

honestly another Alien movie with a medium budget, a release date in February or August or something, and in 3D would probably still be an OK bet. Might be time for a different director though

I think a direct followup to Covenant would gross less than AvP: R

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

That's a shit-awful drop for Alien. Under $75m DOM?

Pretty much a lock. It's going to shed theaters very quickly and probably get a few more 60+% drops in a row.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how some people really seems to believe POTC5 is a failure or something like that.

For me a movie with + 750m gross with $ 230m budget is a great success.

I don't think anyone's actually calling it a failure. It's not like it pulled an Alice Through the Looking Glass. Only that the series brand power has very heavily diminished from its peak and is never seeing the kind of grosses it used to pull in again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how some people really seems to believe POTC5 is a failure or something like that.

For me a movie with + 750m gross with $ 230m budget is a great success.

Yes. Kong opened up to about the same, and was called a success. Kong ends up doing 565m WW and is called a win. P5 opens to 62m, and is laughed at, but will make that 750m WW easily. Not sure if I understand this logic. For a 5th film, I'm sure Disney is happy...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@Ethan Hunt Well...... Allegiant and Fury Road do share the capability of giving people a certain emotion, so there's that.

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiant is fine. Its a movie that merely exists imo

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Pirates franchise USED to be less front-loaded...as we've seen from mutliple sequeled franchises, they become more and more about the fans and less about the GA...and this movie seems pretty set up as a fan only piece...no one is saying "GA, you'll get something out of this"...

I mean Aliens used to draw GA, too...

Fair point. Still don't think its going below Apocalypse but we'll have to see

30 minutes ago, bladels said:

ScreenShot2017-05-28at22.40.26.png

ScreenShot2017-04-16at20.28.34.png

I was right, @baumer and 6 others were wrong :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yes. Great call on your part. BaTB developed some Brigitte Nielsen legs from Beverly Hills Cop II.

• Like 2