Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how some people really seems to believe POTC5 is a failure or something like that.

For me a movie with + 750m gross with $ 230m budget is a great success.

It's even funnier that some refuse to see this as the under-performer that it is.

A franchise that broke the 3-day and Memorial Day record is now down to $62M in its 3-day.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's even funnier that some refuse to see this as the under-performer that it is.

A franchise that broke the 3-day and Memorial Day record is now down to $62M in its 3-day.

As a comparison, it's like if an Avengers movie (by title) opened to $94M

It's a good opening, but... you know, apart from the fact that the first movie opened to $207M and broke the OW record, then it's not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

No question, the POTC franchise has fallen off dramatically DOM. Sad but true.

35 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So @WrathOfHan would you suggest I do Guardians/Pirates double feature instead?

If you can't watch Prometheus beforehand, go with GOTG and POTC. Chances are you still have a couple of weeks to see it anyways. I'd recommend Alien/GOTG instead but I know you're excited for POTC.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Based on Pirates 5, I'm thinking a 80M 5-day for Transformers 5. No other logic apart from the fact that the 2 franchises have just been so similar.

TF5 I think will open higher than Pirates and finish with over 200m thanks to summer days and 4th of July holiday the following week

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I think even fans of the franchise agree it is not a great opening and it should have opened higher despite its disadvantages (probably could have I think with better last minute marketing push and if Depp hadn't fallen out in favor so much)

but, it could make triple its budget worldwide still so we are looking at the bright side. 

Just now, Daxtreme said:

As a comparison, it's like if an Avengers movie (by title) opened to $94M

It's a good opening, but... you know, apart from the fact that the first movie opened to $207M and broke the OW record, then it's not.

The U/O X-Men: Apocalypse thread is looking pretty good right now.

Again... its the age-old rule. Audiences never forget getting burned (no matter how many excuses get thrown about). The new film will always pay for the sins for the last film and Pirates 4 was highly disliked (and that in itself paid for Pirates 3 being highly disliked). Why doesn't box-office tracking include this in their surveying?! Hell some of us remember when Batman Begins (despite the glowing reviews) under-performed its opening weekend thanks, yes, to Batman & Robin. Those reviews and WOM (plus crappy competition the following weekend) saved its ass.

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Based on Pirates 5, I'm thinking a 80M 5-day for Transformers 5. No other logic apart from the fact that the 2 franchises have just been so similar.

About the only advantage TF5 has over Pirates is that Depp has a more toxic public persona than Walberg, but I'm not sure that had much impact on Dead Men anyway.

$200M is just not happening for it unless Michael Bay actually made a movie as good as the first transformers.

• Like 1

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

About the only advantage TF5 has over Pirates is that Depp has a more toxic public persona than Walberg

I heard that Optimus Prime was busted trying to sell drugs on Hollywood Blvd. might affect the movies perception for sure :P 

• Like 8

Pirates is gonna save face with overseas numbers like a lot of franchises do these days. Will it be enough for a 6th movie? I don't know if Disney thinks it's worth it when they have much more profitable ventures.  

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The U/O X-Men: Apocalypse thread is looking pretty good right now.

Again... its the age-old rule. Audiences never forget getting burned (no matter how many excuses get thrown about). The new film will always pay for the sins for the last film and Pirates 4 was highly disliked (and that in itself paid for Pirates 3 being highly disliked). Why doesn't box-office tracking include this in their surveying?! Hell some of us remember when Batman Begins (despite the glowing reviews) under-performed its opening weekend thanks, yes, to Batman & Robin. Those reviews and WOM (plus crappy competition the following weekend) saved its ass.

Which again makes Mockingjay 1 one of the most unexplained drops ever, right next to Kung Fu Panda 2. Both coming off big installments which everyone liked and were primed for the next movie.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I heard that Optimus Prime was busted trying to sell drugs on Hollywood Blvd. might affect the movies perception for sure :P 

I just bought some OG Energon from him.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Just now, babz06 said:

Pirates is gonna save face with overseas numbers like a lot of franchises do these days. Will it be enough for a 6th movie? I don't know if Disney thinks it's worth it when they have much more profitable ventures.  

I feel like a broken record but OS doesn't save them when they get a much smaller % of the take. You still have to perform well domestically. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Which again makes Mockingjay 1 one of the most unexplained drops ever, right next to Kung Fu Panda 2. Both coming off big installments which everyone liked and were primed for the next movie.

Simple: Both movies had shitty marketing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Meh I'd argue IM2 barely doing more than I'M is more surprising than those 2.