Eric Atreides

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Which again makes Mockingjay 1 one of the most unexplained drops ever, right next to Kung Fu Panda 2. Both coming off big installments which everyone liked and were primed for the next movie.

I think in case of Mockingjay, it's that the book wasn't very well received. Lots of people were saying that Catching Fire was the high-point of the series, and it may have had an impact.

It also doesn't help that the public saw the splitting in 2 movies as largely unneeded. Harry Potter and Twilight got away with it, but by Mockingjay's release, I think people were tired of it. (Avengers 3 and 4 ran away from this part 1 and part 2 thing wisely)

It's not as unexplainable as you think!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Which again makes Mockingjay 1 one of the most unexplained drops ever, right next to Kung Fu Panda 2. Both coming off big installments which everyone liked and were primed for the next movie.

there is also Star Trek Into Darkness and How to Train Your Dragon 2. Both of those had loads of 300m predictions

• Like 1

Transformers 5 has the same basic problem of Pirates 5. It's following a highly disliked sequel and the footage presented offers nothing new, whatsoever.

Thus why should I, the film-goer, spend my hard-earned money when you the filmmakers don't even have enough respect to show why I should even bother this time? 

• Like 3

I'm impatiently waiting for Star Wars: The Last Jedi to blow us away and give me a Godzilla size boner. Big numbers= big cucumber. It's gonna be exciting when Wonder Women opens next weekend.

• Like 1

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

Transformers 5 has the same basic problem of Pirates 5. It's following a highly disliked sequel and the footage presented offers nothing new, whatsoever.

Thus why should I, the film-goer, spend my hard-earned money when you the filmmakers don't even have enough respect to show why I should even bother this time? 

What about Spider-Man Homecoming and Justice League?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

About the only advantage TF5 has over Pirates is that Depp has a more toxic public persona than Walberg, but I'm not sure that had much impact on Dead Men anyway.

$200M is just not happening for it unless Michael Bay actually made a movie as good as the first transformers.

it can happen. It is not locked but it can happen thanks to good trailers, summer days and 4th of July holiday. 

Just now, John Marston said:

there is also Star Trek Into Darkness and How to Train Your Dragon 2. Both of those had loads of 300m predictions

STID was crazy for sure. It showed that there is a ceiling for the Trek franchise. The first movie looked like a big breakout sequel was on the way definitely.

3 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I'm impatiently waiting for Star Wars: The Last Jedi to blow us away and give me a Godzilla size boner. Big numbers= big cucumber. It's gonna be exciting when Wonder Women opens next weekend.

username checks out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And The Lego Batman Movie too.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Mockingjay Part I was, frankly, audiences smelling a cheap cash-grab and backing off. No reason in the world for that book to be split into two films other than cha-ching. That and yeah perhaps a bit of a Lawrence backlash. Kung Fu Panda 2 remains a big fat question mark. Yeah, that was the same weekend at The Hangover Part II (and it was highly disliked... thus The Hangover Part III dropped hard - yet another example!) But those were two separate audiences on a big movie-attending holiday weekend. Yeah... what the fuck?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Mockingjay Part I was, frankly, audiences smelling a cheap cash-grab and backing off. No reason in the world for that book to be split into two films other than cha-ching. That and yeah perhaps a bit of a Lawrence backlash. Kung Fu Panda 2 remains a big fat question mark. Yeah, that was the same weekend at The Hangover Part II (and it was highly disliked... thus The Hangover Part III dropped hard - yet another example!) But those were two separate audiences on a big movie-attending holiday weekend. Yeah... what the fuck?!

Kung fu Panda 2 didn't have good marketing.  Simple.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's funny how some people really seems to believe POTC5 is a failure or something like that.

For me a movie with + 750m gross with $ 230m budget is a great success.

It's really not a great success when you consider studios don't take nearly as much percentage of the overseas gross. Will make a very small profit(if anything) from theatrical revenue in the end. With that type of budget they were expecting a billon dollars. This will be the lowest grossing film since the first one. Huge drop.

Just now, grim22 said:

STID was crazy for sure. It showed that there is a ceiling for the Trek franchise. The first movie looked like a big breakout sequel was on the way definitely.

They waited too long (4 years?!?) and the angle in the marketing ("Who is John Harrison?") was bland. But mostly I'd say it was the former. 

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

They waited too long (4 years?!?) and the angle in the marketing ("Who is John Harrison?") was bland. But mostly I'd say it was the former. 

Yeah, if Abrams made STID in 2011 instead of Super 8, it would have led to a thriving Trek franchise currently I think. And why hide Khan? That was a stupid marketing decision.

• Like 1