Eric Duncan

Boo 2! A Madea Halloween l October 20 l Electric Boo-aloo. Teaser on page 2

The first part of that trailer was cut really well to make it look like a good horror movie.  The second part was pure Madea.

I'm there.  

8 hours ago, ClaudeManhattan said:

Tyler Perry is the smartest man in Hollywood. He knows he don't have satisfy everybody to make money. He doesn't care what the out of touch critics say about the Madea movies. He is taking it to the bank.

Now this is something we can agree on.  I personally think the Madea character is very relatable to those of us who grew up in a different era.  I agree with a lot of her beliefs and even though are done in a humourous way, there's a lot of substance to her.

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The only Madea movie I've seen was A Madea Halloween.

Not a fan.  Will not be seeing this one unless the 2nd trailer makes me laugh a lot.

You should see the early stuff....its much better than the newer stuff.  Madea goes to Jail is pretty awesome!

Right now there's 6 wide releases scheduled for October 20th.  I really hope some of them move.  This would be bad news for at least half of them.  Madea should and will stay because it has its own audience...but the other 5, man, that doesn't look good.

7 hours ago, baumer said:

Right now there's 6 wide releases scheduled for October 20th.  I really hope some of them move.  This would be bad news for at least half of them.  Madea should and will stay because it has its own audience...but the other 5, man, that doesn't look good.

Geostorm has potential to break-out but it's really gonna need some help from critics in order to not get lost in the shuffle. Only the Brave looks really good but I have a feeling it will underperform regardless. The Snowman also looks fantastic but it may face the same problem. With a holiday theme, I think it would maybe fare much better in December. By the looks of it, there aren't any wide releases on the first two weekends of December. Bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me. Then Same Kind of Different as Me and War with Grandpa don't really sound very appealing. I can see those being moved.

So yeah, Madea looks like it will be the only guaranteed hit of the bunch.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

The one thing I appreciate with the Madea franchise is that you know exactly what you're getting from the movie just by reading the title, provided you're familiar with at least one other film from the franchise. The films offer nothing more and nothing less. Perry delivers the same formula, although the results and quality may differ from film to film.

Edited by LonePirate

31 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Geostorm has potential to break-out but it's really gonna need some help from critics in order to not get lost in the shuffle. Only the Brave looks really good but I have a feeling it will underperform regardless. The Snowman also looks fantastic but it may face the same problem. With a holiday theme, I think it would maybe fare much better in December. By the looks of it, there aren't any wide releases on the first two weekends of December. Bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me. Then Same Kind of Different as Me and War with Grandpa don't really sound very appealing. I can see those being moved.

So yeah, Madea looks like it will be the only guaranteed hit of the bunch.

The Disaster Artist goes wide on December 8, but otherwise the first two weeks are empty. Shape of Water is listed as limited though I think it goes wide out of the gate.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Disaster Artist goes wide on December 8, but otherwise the first two weeks are empty. Shape of Water is listed as limited though I think it goes wide out of the gate.

I think it could still thrive being that the genres are pretty different.

Has there ever been two straight weekends with zero new wide releases? Surely those slots will be taken by something soon, even if it's just one or two small ones on each weekend. I mean, last year was pretty barren over those two weekends leading up to ROGUE ONE.

December 2:

INCARNATE (1,737 theatres)

BELIEVE (638 theatres)

December 9

OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY (3,210 theatres)

THE BOUNCE BACK (615 theatres)

Completely barren, but SOMETHING was there.

I can totally see Three Billboards aiming for a wide expansion on December 1. Fox Searchlight will have Shape of Water to deal with the following weekend, and Three Billboards feels like the perfect indie to expand in between the holidays.