kayumanggi

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY | 179.1 M overseas ● 392.9 M worldwide

1 hour ago, salvador-232 said:

5/28, so we can't be sure if it was underestimated or not.

The same page (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm) says that Solo made $63.1M on its opening weekend, so clearly the Deadline number of $68.2M was wrong.

WW OW: $147.5M

Edited by Quigley

32 minutes ago, Quigley said:

The same page (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm) says that Solo made $63.1M on its opening weekend, so clearly the Deadline number of $68.2M was wrong.

Yes but there are countries like Italy where it opened midweek and I think it doesn't count that in the weekend total. It would be hilarious if it came even lower than estimates though. 

Edited by salvador-232

2 hours ago, Mattia Signorini said:

Updated to 5/27 or 5/28?

58 minutes ago, Quigley said:

35 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Yes but there are countries like Italy where it opened midweek and I think it doesn't count that in the weekend total. It would be hilarious if it came even lower than estimates though. 

Generally when OS actuals come in (on Mondays during normal weekend and Tuesdays during extended weekends) then the updated number does not include the Monday OS number.  Solo did 68.2m till Sunday, rest assured it did not do only 1.5m OS on Monday. Its not that bad. 

That 63 number by BOM is the FSS number for OS countries. Whereas the 68.2 number reported by Deadline (and updated to 69.68) is the opening weekend number. 

Different countries overseas report the weekend numbers differently. Some may include the Thursday number into the weekend and I believe some include the Wednesday number as well. This was explained in detail by Rth, I think in the Infinity War OS thread, I’ll try to find it. 

During the opening weekend when a trade like Deadline reports a number (68.2 in this case for OS) then that includes W+T in countries where it opened that early, but it is still called opening weekend. 

So in summary there is no discrepancy here. 63.1 is the FSS number whereas 69.7 is the weekend number (W+T+FSS)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Generally when OS actuals come in (on Mondays during normal weekend and Tuesdays during extended weekends) then the updated number does not include the Monday OS number.  Solo did 68.2m till Sunday, rest assured it did not do only 1.5m OS on Monday. Its not that bad. 

That 63 number by BOM is the FSS number for OS countries. Whereas the 68.2 number reported by Deadline (and updated to 69.68) is the opening weekend number. 

Different countries overseas report the weekend numbers differently. Some may include the Thursday number into the weekend and I believe some include the Wednesday number as well. This was explained in detail by Rth, I think in the Infinity War OS thread, I’ll try to find it. 

During the opening weekend when a trade like Deadline reports a number (68.2 in this case for OS) then that includes W+T in countries where it opened that early, but it is still called opening weekend. 

So in summary there is no discrepancy here. 63.1 is the FSS number whereas 69.7 is the weekend number (W+T+FSS)

If that was true, then the number under "Gross-to-Date" on this page: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm wouldn't be $63.1M but $69.7M.

$63.1M is the amount of money it made up to Sunday including all previews in all countries. $69.7M includes Monday.

14 minutes ago, Quigley said:

If that was true, then the number under "Gross-to-Date" on this page: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm wouldn't be $63.1M but $69.7M.

$63.1M is the amount of money it made up to Sunday including all previews in all countries. $69.7M includes Monday.

I dont know why that is the case for Solo on BOM but BOM is sometimes wonky with their data. For IW/DP2 it says 27 May yet it says 28 May for Solo. 

Besides Deadline updated the OS number to 68.2 on Monday morning - http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-opening-weekend-deadpool-2-avengers-infinity-war-china-global-international-box-office-1202398686/

Now I have never seen Deadline including the Monday number in its weekend OS update when the update has come on Monday morning itself. And I am pretty sure that is the case here too. 

I have also explained above why the confusion can arise on the basis of how some countries report their numbers and I also linked to the Rth post explaining it. You may continue to believe Solo came in 6m below actuals but I dont. 

5 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

There is no such thing as FSS number in OS reporting. BOM (or any other source for that matter) NEVER reports FSS number, EVER!!

The different datasets provided by BOM are consistent. 63.1M would be the OW number (everything upto Sunday). So that is a 1.9M drop from estimates. After that it did 6.6M on Monday, which is what one would expect after 63.1M weekend, and gross till Monday (as mentioned by BOM) becomes 69.7M.

The only thing inconsistent here is the 68.2M figure reported by deadline. I dunno how they reported that number, but that is most likely incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fake said:

There is no such thing as FSS number in OS reporting. BOM (or any other source for that matter) NEVER reports FSS number, EVER!!

The different datasets provided by BOM are consistent. 63.1M would be the OW number (everything upto Sunday). So that is a 1.9M drop from estimates. After that it did 6.6M on Monday, which is what one would expect after 63.1M weekend, and gross till Monday (as mentioned by BOM) becomes 69.7M.

The only thing inconsistent here is the 68.2M figure reported by deadline. I dunno how they reported that number, but that is most likely incorrect.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

Straight from the horses mouth. They themselves say “Fri-Sun”. Now we here know, thanks to Rth, that some countries OS weekend include days other than FSS, but the way BOM words their data can be confusing. And I hope either Rth, or an OS Mon (or Tue) update clears this confusion. Uptil now it has almost always been the case that when weekend actuals come in they do not include Monday so I dont know why BOM decided to do mess with the datea for Solo only

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

Straight from the horses mouth. They themselves say “Fri-Sun”. Now we here know, thanks to Rth, that some countries OS weekend include days other than FSS, but the way BOM words their data can be confusing. And I hope either Rth, or an OS Mon (or Tue) update clears this confusion. Uptil now it has almost always been the case that when weekend actuals come in they do not include Monday so I dont know why BOM decided to do mess with the datea for Solo only

The Fri-Sun they state is only indicative of the weekend. All it means is the weekend ending in that Sunday. Like Quigley stated, If 63M was Fri-Sun gross only, the cume would have been different. But the cume is 63M only. The Fri-Sun figure you are looking for would be close to 55M, but this number isn't reported by Studios so it won't be reported anywhere in the media.

Regarding the weekend including Wed/Thu, that's not a news, and most people who have been tracking OS box office have known that for years. That's why i said, there is no Fri-Sun number reported in business because different markets have different lengths of weekend. Studios add up all the grosses of respective weekends, whatever the number of days that may include, and then report that number.

You may check the OS page of Infinity War and see what figure is stated in the same place where 63M is stated for Solo. You should be able to easily verify, with the help of updates reported in Avengers OS thread during OW, whether it is "Fri-Sun" figure, or everything upto that Sunday. Not only IW, you can open the OS page for any movie and check this.

As for your last question, Monday was a holiday in USA, therefore actuals were reported on Tuesday (as opposed to Monday). Now, Disney provided two sets of numbers: one is the weekend actuals which was 63.1M. But as actuals are being reported on Tuesday, Monday numbers are also available by that time (which isn't available on normal weekends when actuals are being reported on Monday). So it also provided the total as of Monday i.e. 69.7M. 

Hope that clears it up.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Marathon said:

What kind of 2nd OS weekend is possible for Solo? $30m?

6 hours ago, Fake said:

Possible. But i would predict closer to 25M.

Yeah, I agree with Fake. It would be surprising if it stayed above $30M, but somewhere between $25M and $30M makes sense.

• Like 1

Just now, Omni said:

Does it even make any difference?

It does for weekdays, if it drops to 5m on monday with holiday in UK whitch did $2m on monday. If it's 7m monday thats still $5m OS monday if it's only $5m, then we are talking about a $3m monday -UK and if we take China from it ($1m) that would only be $2m from all markets but Japan, China and UK, that would be very very very bad.

8 hours ago, pepsa said:

So what do know so far? How much did it open to 63m or 65m? Was monday 7m or 5m? 

It was at 63.1M after Sunday.

It did 6.6M on Monday ; 69.7M cume.

Latest update is 82.3M as of Wednesday, so 12.6M for Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Like 2