kayumanggi

Tuesday Numbers: 6.8 M POTC: DMTNT

50 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think it will do $800m or so but that is a $200m drop from the last one with an increase in China not really offsetting the Domestic decrease in terms of actual profit.  So while they will make money on it they have to wonder if #6 will drop again and they won't make any profit and if they could make far more directing $400m or so (movie + marketing) elsewhere.

It will lost 200+m at the BO, but if that rumored 230m net budget is true, that is a huge difference with the previous 410 million - tax rebate (I would imagine between 340-350 million net cost).

Say it is a movie 100 million cheaper, it will still do less than the previous one, but not as much as the box office difference indicate.

The fact that those movie cannot be made cheaper really (as long as they are giant on the water production with the best CGI on their era), could make them take a long thinking before greenligthing a sequel it is true, specially if the new character does not caught up among audience with their study and still have to rely on Depp.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

POTC5 is a hit. Its going to make about 800. Pretty impressive imo.

It's fine but considering the diminishing returns and the fact that making these movies cheaper is very difficult to do, is it fine enough for a sequel? I'm not so sure but I hope it is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It's fine but considering the diminishing returns and the fact that making these movies cheaper is very difficult to do, is it fine enough for a sequel? I'm not so sure but I hope it is.

Taking the sequel consideration out of it, a 5th movie making 800 mill is pretty good. I know we talk mostly about theatrical here but its got all kinds of revenue streams after it leaves theaters. Its going to be proditable no doubt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

After that post-credit scene? I wonder who they are trying to fool. Anyone who's watched it knows they're hoping to be able to make a sequel.

Or it could be they already decided to just end it here after it underperformed domestic cally

or it could be a marketing gimmick 

Edited by John Marston

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Or it could be they already decided to just end it here after it underperformed domestic cally

or it could be a marketing gimmick 

I'd go with marketing. I don't think a definitive decision on whether to continue this franchise with a sequel or not will really be made that quickly when the numbers are what they are.

We will see though.

So maybe they will wait until USD is weaker [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

I'd go with marketing. I don't think a definitive decision on whether to continue this franchise with a sequel or not will really be made that quickly when the numbers are what they are.

We will see though.

28 minutes ago, ttr said:

So maybe they will wait until USD is weaker emoji6.png

Going by the positive reaction POTC5 is having in China (175-180)...next one could do 225 there.

Due to exchange rate Japan could fall from 110 to 70+ for POTC5 but next one could stay steady.

I can see 150 dom + 225 China + 75 Japan = 450 for POTC6 from 3 markets.

750-800 WW just like POTC5. Now as long as they keep the budget in check...

• Like 1