Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Saying that no change is worst-case scenario isn't logical.

True but I think Wonder Woman may have helped save JL at least domestically. I can see slightly under BVS ($873M) but it'd need the same toxic WOM and Thor Rangarok to do $330M+ domestic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

What? Explain Peter Jackson please.

Nolan wouldn't need to "Beg" for jobs, but if Dunkirk comes in below Interstellar, his next film will absolutely have to deliver or his days getting blank checks are over. Im sure he knows this. 

Interstellar made 675 million, Dunkirk will almost certainly come below that.

No Tarantino movie made Interstellar money since Pulp Fiction I would think, he still receive only notes from Weinstein and achieved to make everything he wrote since.

If Dunkirk do "only" 280million WW, Nolan will get is next reasonably budgeted movie greenlight right away and will still have unconditional final cut on it and will still keep is privilege of not doing real audience test. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think you don't understand what a worst case scenario is.

giphy.gif

That is the most hilarious gif reply ever. Can't stop laughing...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Which MCU character died and then returned within the MCU? 

I can remember a pretty big DCEU character dying and then returning (indication) within the same freaking movie though. So care to enlighten me?

And also i dont know about you but I and pretty much Everyone I know go to movies to be entertained not to sit in a lecture and pretend to learn something. 

I've heard this ridiculous nonsense about DCEU movies being better than MCU by virtue of being dark and apparently exploring themes and shit. When all we got in BvS were philosophical ideas that lead no where and were abandoned by the third act do that the trio can fight big bad monster. Apparently MCU can explore anynumber of philosophical ideas but some levity in the movie automatically mean that the movie is for "kids" coz adults are not allowed to have fun and laugh. 

The hypocrisy is palpable

Coulson died and everybody knows came back.

Sam Jackson died in TWS and appeared when it was convenient. 

80% of people go to just for pure entertainment. 20% go to be challenged, and thats their entertainment. Hence why slow dramas can still make lots of money. They're emotionally and mentally involving in ways that marvel movies aren't. This, more than anything, is the reason TDK was able to sell the # of tickets it did. It's appeal was WAY more than entertainment. Read the comments on youtube under TDK Trilogy videos and you will find hundreds of "I have learned so much about life" type of remarks. BB is making progress ("Why do we fall?") and brand building ("You have to become an idea"), TDK is dealing with competition escalating their efforts due to your success, and TDKR is about understanding what true success is and how to achieve it.  

It's not limited to TDK. Most truly massive grossers appeal to people on a deeper level too. TITANIC's base, central theme was the point of "living" is to find things to fall in love with, for example. That single idea was the base the "Rose" theme that everybody knows. It sounds simple, but it really is not and most films have no subtle but powerful theme such as this establish that extra layer of connection with a film goer. When these type of approaches connect, they're appeal is far beyond anything marvel can compete with.

I enjoy Marvel movies for what they are, but they are not, as Nolan so perfectly said, "real movies" to me. There is no attempt at anything deeper. 

So WW opened to Winter Soldider type of numbers, which I think is in line with most of the predictions here?

Let's see if WW will pass it DOM. Yes it's got good reviews but this still is a comics adaptation right?

Edited by vc2002

Just now, Hatebox said:

WW won't save JL. If it's crap its multiplier will be crap just like BvS.

For the sake of a pleasant surprise, I hope it's not crap.

Thanksgiving and lack of competition until TLJ ensure better lets than BvS. It is exactly what happened to Suicide Squad.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What about Jackson? He has nowhere near the power at WB that Nolan does. By the way, there is a hell of a big difference between reducing your budget/paycheck and groveling to work on a retread superhero project. Nolan will never need to do that.

WB will offer him the sun if JL and Dunkirk both flop. He may very well say no regardless, but it will happen.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Thanksgiving and lack of competition until TLJ ensure better lets than BvS.

Dat lack of novelty won't help its OW though.

Again, I don't want it to be bad film. But with Snyder we now have to hope for the best but expect the worst.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

True but I think Wonder Woman may have helped save JL at least domestically. I can see slightly under BVS ($873M) but it'd need the same toxic WOM and Thor Rangarok to do $330M+ domestic.

1) "May have helped save"

Gotta wait for the BO results before saying it was saved.

2) We'll see if DC can build enough hype after they're done with WW, cuz I am not feeling it.

3) If JL returns to the norm of shitty reception, nothing will save it. I suspect it will since you-know-who is at the helm. WW may very well be a fluke.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

I see those arguments from people wondering why Dunkirk should open close to Inception (about $70m adjusted). That's a pretty big ask. $50-$60m seems more realistic. 

Even 50-60 might be too much.  As someone who's never disliked a Nolan film, I have absolutely zero interest in this movie and I can see another Interstellar situation where it doesn't even break 50.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Coulson died and everybody knows came back.

Sam Jackson died in TWS and appeared when it was convenient. 

80% of people go to just for pure entertainment. 20% go to be challenged, and thats their entertainment. Hence why slow dramas can still make lots of money. They're emotionally and mentally involving in ways that marvel movies aren't. This, more than anything, is the reason TDK was able to sell the # of tickets it did. It's appeal was WAY more than entertainment. Read the comments on youtube under TDK Trilogy videos and you will find hundreds of "I have learned so much about life" type of remarks. BB is making progress ("Why do we fall?") and brand building ("You have to become an idea"), TDK is dealing with competition escalating their efforts due to your success, and TDKR is about understanding what true success is and how to achieve it.  

It's not limited to TDK. Most truly massive grossers appeal to people on a deeper level too. TITANIC's base, central theme was the point of "living" is to find things to fall in love with, for example. That single idea was the base the "Rose" theme that everybody knows. It sounds simple, but it really is not and most films have no subtle but powerful theme such as this establish that extra layer of connection with a film goer. When these type of approaches connect, they're appeal is far beyond anything marvel can compete with.

I enjoy Marvel movies for what they are, but they are not, as Nolan so perfectly said, "real movies" to me. There is no attempt at anything deeper. 

Spoiler

A recent MCU film had a major character die and I'm pretty sure the person isn't coming back. Quicksilver also die.

They're some "real movies" that don't have huge thought provoking themes like Jurassic Park, Star Wars (OT), Alien, Jaws, and numerous more. Even though Logan and TDK are my first and second favorite CBMs, at the end of the day, as long as the story is good, I'm invested in the characters, and is entertaining I'm happy.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Just now, AdamKendall said:

Even 50-60 might be too much.  As someone who's never disliked a Nolan film, I have absolutely zero interest in this movie and I can see another Interstellar situation where it doesn't even break 50.

Yeah, I'm with you. Should do gangbusters overseas, particularly the UK, but stateside I have my doubts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Just got back from Wonda Woman. Gadot and Pine are great, and some of the fish out of water humor works. Other than that, the movie itself is pretty pedestrian. Definitely 15 minutes too long. Towards the end, I started to succumb to The Zone Out. I suspect WOM will be fine enough, but can't imagine it'll be blazing. 

Welp I'm not the only one who feels this way about the movie or its WOM. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2