Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I don't know who is right, but it's interesting people are getting defensive over their preferred number currently. 

It's what I said earlier. People want to believe the number that fits their narrative. I don't know which number is right of course. I was merely just saying that the only tweet Gitesh has up in regards to WW Friday numbers is one that was posted 30 minutes ago. There was no earlier tweet which is what most folks assumed and why I guess folks were confused as to why he'd use "old" data. 

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

Maybe they don't do fanboy rushes. We're extrapolating all this based on late afternoon projections -- there's a lot of guessing going on here by the trades and by us. 

Just people freaking out over low numbers like usual until rth shows up in a few hours. But there's no doubt that I think many overpredicted this one based on their own feelings towards it. I thought that could happen with Beauty And The Beast but that was always going to open huge (just not 200M huge). I never felt Suicide Squad or Batman V Superman type of hype for this.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

But again, you can't judge these huge releases by one theater. This had showings at 10:35, 10:40, 10:50, and 11 last night at my main one. I saw the 11 one and the theater was empty. There were 4 people in the 11 one and as of 20 minutes before show, no one in the 10:50 one. It very well could have been empty. The 10:35 show was in one of the largest theaters and was only 20% full.

I'm going to look at them again for tonight and see if anythings changed.

Just checked the two main theaters seat selections. One of them is about 40% full (IMAX 3D 10PM) and the regular screen is maybe 15% full. The other theater is maybe 25% full. Movie is an hour away. 

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Gitesh is the odd one out because Deadline, THR and V all point to high 30s (THR hasn't given a Fri but say 94+ weekend....which you don't get with 35 or below Friday).

THR and Variety were very early numbers.  Of that group only Deadline recently updated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

The Dark World is not a heavy hitter....god I hated that movie.

Pretty sure they meant in terms of OW when Thor and Cap received their Avengers boosts. Plus you have to realize that even thought this is WW's first film her appearance in BvS is similar to their's in Avengers as well as her just being a more popular character before the first movie all together. 

I want Gitesh to be wrong, but I've followed him for so many years and he's usually pretty reliable. And there's such a huge difference between 33 and 38.5, so I definitely can't get my hopes up that it'll end up too high.

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

Pretty sure they meant in terms of OW when Thor and Cap received their Avengers boosts. Plus you have to realize that even thought this is WW's first film her appearance in BvS is similar to their's in Avengers as well as her just being a more popular character before the first movie all together. 

Right but the commenter who said it claimed the movie itself was a heavy hitter box office wise (I guess?)...I don't remember Dark World or Winter Soldier having huge openings either.

Watching BO from this area for years, I have my own "estimates of BO" based on my area's performance and screen allocation.  I know one theater (or the 3 that I track - the mall has too many showings tonight for me to keep clicking to) is not 4100, but they are trends...this is selling like hotcakes, and when showings get added and added last minute and screens start dropping in for Sat/Sun, that's huge...that's not an $80M opening unless my area is a huge outlier.  It hasn't been this hot since B&TB's weekend, since GOTG2 was already set at max screens.  B&TB was underestimated and got added screens and showings all through the weekend here...

This is no B&TB (b/c that actually started with more screens and showings and just kept getting more), but it's not a movie making only $20M more than Pirates last weekend.  

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

I want Gitesh to be wrong, but I've followed him for so many years and he's usually pretty reliable. And there's such a huge difference between 33 and 38.5, so I definitely can't get my hopes up that it'll end up too high.

Deadline has been almost spot on with their late numbers though lately. I feel like Gitesh is just posting data from earlier in the day and will probably update again tonight. 

• Like 1

Starting to think the following for this summer releases in terms of box office:

Wonder Woman: $95M/$300M

Underpants: $33.5M/$105M

Mummy: $35M/$85M

Cars 3: $55M/$180M

T5: $85M (5-Day)/$175M

DM3: $80M/$275M

SMH: $125M/$300M

Apes: $75M/$200M

Dunkirk: $45M/$140M

Valerian: $25M/$65M

Emoji: $40M/$125M

Atomic Blonde: $25M/$85M

Dark Tower: $65M/$150M

Detroit: $35M/$135M

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Man, a 22 million true Friday would seem absurdly low given Pirates 5 just did 18.

I agree, just seems way too low :/

Hope it's wrong.

That gitesh number does not make sense. He even says 90 million weekend. And then he says 33-35 friday. Very odd. While Deadline said this earlier then updated to 38.5 just 30 milnutes ago. Also THR and Variety has it on 95 million and 100 million.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

anyone remember what were the early numbers for BvS and SS?

uhhh this thread was a lot of fun the second weekend for BvS not the first lol. I think it was 65-80 for friday? Can't remember SS

1 minute ago, mredman said:

That gitesh number does not make sense. He even says 90 million weekend. And then he says 33-35 friday. Very odd. While Deadline said this earlier then updated to 38.5 just 30 milnutes ago. Also THR and Variety has it on 95 million and 100 million.

Image result for not everything does not everything has to

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadline has been almost spot on with their late numbers though lately. I feel like Gitesh is just posting data from earlier in the day and will probably update again tonight. 

its like he is posting deadlines earlier numbers. Before they updated it to 38.5

Edited by mredman