Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

The problem with Avatar is that it didn't have iconic characters in it. Sure, the blue aliens themselves are iconic. But I hardly even remember the characters names at this point. I think this is a big reason why people debate the film's cultural impact.

When comparing to GOTG 2 Thursday and how it did during the weekend, WW will make 96M. 

I'm removing 10M due to the fact that GOTG 2 had massive Saturday/Sunday which played like a family movie and also because Fast 8 was the only competition and even then it wasn't the same type of movie. WW has to compete with Pirates, CU, and GOTG 2 which people are still watching. 

So .. 85M. 

Last night, I said 8 mill would be disappointing, 10 mill would be right in line with expectations, 12 mill would be good, 14 would be outstanding, and 17 would make Tele have a successful club for the first time since the pyramids went up. So this fell right between in line with expectations and good by my book. I could see it having a better Friday and Saturday than Deadpool but a bigger Sunday drop. I could also see it having slightly wimpier legs. Frankly, anywhere from 90 to 130 wouldn't stun me, though my summer game prediction of 135 is out of reach (I dropped to 125 this week). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it gets over 100, isn't that the biggest OW for the first solo movie ever for a comic character since Spider-Man? Hell, behind MOS, wouldn't that be the biggest first solo entry period, including franchise reboots?

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Last night, I said 8 mill would be disappointing, 10 mill would be right in line with expectations, 12 mill would be good, 14 would be outstanding, and 17 would make Tele have a successful club for the first time since the pyramids went up. So this fell right between in line with expectations and good by my book. I could see it having a better Friday and Saturday than Deadpool but a bigger Sunday drop. I could also see it having slightly wimpier legs. Frankly, anywhere from 90 to 130 wouldn't stun me, though my summer game prediction of 135 is out of reach (I dropped to 125 this week). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it gets over 100, isn't that the biggest OW for the first solo movie ever for a comic character since Spider-Man? Hell, behind MOS, wouldn't that be the biggest first solo entry period, including franchise reboots?

Behind just Deadpool. Very good if O/U 100.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Deadpool would be the highest solo debut. Wonder Woman if it cracks $100m would only be third

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Depends on how far over 100. IM has 102 counting its Thursday previews.

edit: Also Deadpool at 132m for the 3 day.

Edited by Orestes

Some notable things that got cheers at my showing:

WW's first appearance in costume.

All the big action beats. And most of the minor ones.

The trailer for Dunkirk.

The trailer for BladeRunner 2049

The trailer for Justice League

Anecdotally, not only were there cheers for JL, but several of the women in the audience vocally praised Jason Momoa. And maybe some men, too.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, Deadpool, no?

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm feeling very good about my 100/280 prediction in the summer game. Lord knows I need it after Alien, Baywatch, and soon The Mummy.

The Mummy's going to slaughter by Wonder Woman.

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

Some notable things that got cheers at my showing:

WW's first appearance in costume.

All the big action beats. And most of the minor ones.

The trailer for Dunkirk.

The trailer for BladeRunner 2049

The trailer for Justice League

Anecdotally, not only were there cheers for JL, but several of the women in the audience vocally praised Jason Momoa. And maybe some men, too.

Yes

• Like 2

Oh yea, Deadpool! That was a thing that somehow happened. If it gets to about 107, which I think is a very reasonable range, that'd put it ahead of the first Guardians, Dr. Strange, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, very close to Man of Steel, above Batman Begins, above any of the huge Burton Batmans adjusted. That shows very impressive appeal for this character. That said, all of those films listed are topped by Deadpool and Suicide Squad, so maybe built-in appeal has nothing to do with it.

6 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

That was me. From my house.