Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Mos 2.4x legs were not good.

Bvs and civil war are both mess and crap.

Don't treat superman as sacred, a filmmaker can make him what he wants.

If this is meant to be a common sense 'fact' post, it doesn't normally include hot take opinions.

4 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

No, lets look at your individual tastes to decide the greatness of a movie; that makes sense. The bottom line is that the movie was a great success, so saying it has the same problem as a movie that did not succeed just can't be true. "You know what the problem with movie that succeeded and movie that failed is, they're both messes." Yeah, except one succeeded and one didn't.

Blade runner and star wars. One made less money, one more, both are hailed as masterpieces.

In next comment, type something about the films.

Facts with YourMother:

1.) MOS didn't have good or bad legs, it had okay legs

2.) CW was also a heavily frontloaded sequel, I won't be surprised if more ensemble CBMs become frontloaded too.

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

BTW random thought but Gatsby is a great movie. bought the book the other day

yeah the movie is pretty good.  Let's see how you think the book is :) 

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

BTW random thought but Gatsby is a great movie. bought the book the other day

We may disagree on certain things but we agree on some things like this.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

IM3 dealt with Gatsby ($55M OW), Darkness ($70M OW), and a plethora of Memorial Day releases (Epic, Fast 6, Hangover 3).

And it opened about $50m higher in early May - so no summer days until near the end of it's run.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The movie misses almost the entire point of the novel.

I guess I'll find out :lol:

I thought the ending of the movie in particular was very effective. Pretty excited to read the book

12 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Blade runner and star wars. One made less money, one more, both are hailed as masterpieces.

In next comment, type something about the films.

I don't consider Blade Runner to be a masterpiece. Sorry. It has a cult following, but I don't see the universal mainstream praise.

Just now, Walt Disney said:

I don't consider Blade Runner to be a masterpiece. Sorry. It has a cult following, but I don't see the universal mainstream praise.

A movie has to have universal mainstream praise to be a masterpiece.

Shit. maybe Before Sunrise and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind shouldn't be my favorite movies of all time

• Like 1

The great thing about the Wonder Woman film was that it was hopeful and it made me feel optimistic about the human race and our future. And if a Superhero film manages to make it's audience feel hopeful and optimistic, then that's a huge success. But while Wonder Woman is an empathetic, and compassionate Superhero. She's also a badass and a warrior, and will kill any evil-doer for the greater good, because she's an Amazon and basically a soldier. So it was not only a faithful depiction of Wonder Woman's character, it managed to find the right balance between it's levity and dark tone in the second half of the film. But that mostly has to do with Patty Jenkins as a filmmaker and storyteller. She not only understands the character of Wonder Woman, she knows how to make a film.

[mod edit]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

#WonderWoman flexed more muscle than WB expected SUN dipping only 16% from SAT vs 28% estimate. $103M+ opening wknd, bright road ahead.

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/871712677885816832

well there's the confirmation that most thought they were overestimating some of the drops this weekend for WW :) 

• Like 3

To me, the most glaring part where Wonder Woman succeeds where the previous DCEU movies failed is in getting me to actually care about the characters. For example, in BvS, we were never properly introduced to Ben Affleck's Batman/Bruce Wayne, and therefore, I had no reason to care about him. Umpteenth iteration of the character's tragic childhood over the opening credits doesn't cut it.

3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

We could get into the semantics of where you draw the line at 'cult movie', but the notion that Blade Runner isn't now generally considered to be a seminal sci-fi film is ridiculous.

(Let's take is as read that all purported masterpieces have their share of detractors.)

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

To me, the most glaring part where Wonder Woman succeeds where the previous DCEU movies failed is in getting me to actually care about the characters. For example, in BvS, we were never properly introduced to Ben Affleck's Batman/Bruce Wayne, and therefore, I had no reason to care about him. Umpteenth iteration of the character's tragic childhood over the opening credits doesn't cut it.

This. This is also the reason why I liked civil war more than bvs inspite of beieng equal mess. I cared about spider man more than batman or wonder woman in that movie.