Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

A movie has to have universal mainstream praise to be a masterpiece.

Shit. maybe Before Sunrise and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind shouldn't be my favorite movies of all time

And "Blade Runner" is ranked in the top 100 of the AFI List. And it's usually ranked in the top 3 or 5 best science fiction films to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

#WonderWoman flexed more muscle than WB expected SUN dipping only 16% from SAT vs 28% estimate. $103M+ opening wknd, bright road ahead.

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/871712677885816832

Feeling better about the 2nd weekend club now:)...knew that drop was way overestimated (although $2.5M+ - they weren't close:)...

That's what you are basically saying.
Theres no damn way the positive reviews made the company Market the film anymore than they have for any of the others.

Obviously it did. Especially since Wonder Woman didn't have the type of marketing that BVS and Suicide Squad managed to get.

Last month, there was more marketing and promotion for "Justice League", than "Wonder Woman." So it's pretty obvious that the rave reviews for "Wonder Woman" gave WB an extra incentive to heavily promote it during the last few weeks.

54 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

It's pretty clear that WB spend more money marketing and promoting MOS, BVS, and Suicide Squad than what they spent on "Wonder Woman." But once "Wonder Woman" got rave reviews, they decided to go out for the marketing and promotion for "Wonder Woman", especially during the last two weeks of May, and right up to the release of the film in the first weekend of June.

That's what I was pointing out, but apparently you didn't read it.

Dude it's a known fact that the film Budget is significant lower than previous films in the universe.

why would WW have the same Marketing Budget as BVS or Man of steel when both films are maybe 100mil more in production.

You can't say the Marketing was amped up because of reviews as Marketing is one of the best things The company has always done with all of the films they have released connected to a DC property.

By the way if it is so what is wrong with the using it to their advantage???

Not a mother----ing thing

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

it's fine that you like CIvil War. I'm glad you and many others enjoy it. I think it would be more fun if we had a civil conversation about why we each personally like and dislike as opposed to throwing box office numbers and RT scores and saying I win. At the end of the day your opinion is your opinion and I'm glad you have it

You haven't really done that either, except to give your subjective opinion that both movies are "messes."

CA: Civil War had a clear plot. It was easy to understand, despite the few twists and turns along the way, which are not The Usual Suspects complicated. The movie was properly paced and never felt bogged down by too many characters. The action scenes were exciting and the airport scene was like something right out of a comic book. The characters were properly fleshed out, so there was an emotional involvement in the final fight scene. The problem that some people (not critics) have with the movie is that they hate the MCU and this idea of a shared universe for various reasons. That, however, does not make a movie "a mess." It was a well made movie and that is why it received a positive RT score.

BvS had multiple problems. Some were its own creation and others were due to DC's own past success. It did not have a clear plot. It was very convoluted. The character's motivations are never really fleshed out and the movie is badly paced. It is difficult to tell why Lex Luthor is doing what he is doing. It is difficult to tell why Batman wants to destroy Superman. The dream sequence is very hard to understand. And the Martha scene just didn't work on any level. And the characters are so badly fleshed out that Superman's death doesn't have any emotional weight to it. That is why I don't disagree if you characterize it as a "mess" because it is tough to follow.

The only reason people lump these 2 movies together is because they didn't like them both. That analysis has less depth than citing RT scores and box office numbers to show that one movie was liked.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

Dude it's a known fact that the film Budget is significant lower than previous films in the universe.
why would WW have the same Marketing Budget as BVS or Man of steel when both films are maybe 100mil more in production.

You can't say the Marketing was amped up because of reviews as Marketing is one of the best things The company has always done with all of the films they have released connected to a DC property.

Yes I can. Because Wonder Woman did not have the same promotion or marketing blitz that BVS or Suicide Squad managed to get. When you look at WB's Facebook page on Wonder Woman, they were not giving it the same amount of attention that they were giving to BVS, Suicide Squad, or Justice League.

Maybe WB didn't feel confident in Wonder Woman being well received, or they didn't want to get trounced by Marvel/Disney's marketing blitz for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. But WB went ballistic with the marketing for Wonder Woman after it got a great response from the critics.

I guess it was smart on their part for using the critics and rottentomatoes to their advantage at the last minute, but it was one hell of a gamble, which makes this all the more fascinating to me.

46 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I don't think anyone is arguing Marvel vs DC. Simply discussing individual movies

This post caught my eye. Calling CA:CW Ambitionless or Messy is very clickbatish to Marvel Fanboys, and you're going to rile up a lot of them by saying this. Of course, they're going to come out of the woodwork and start slamming the DCU films. The DCU fanboys will come out and start slamming the MCU. In the end, Nobody will change their opinions. DCU fanboys will continue to like their universal and Marvel fans the same. It'll just be a waste of time.Now, I don't want you think that I'm singling you out individually, so I apologize if it comes across that way. But, this is out how it works. 

• Like 2

Yes I can. Because Wonder Woman did not have the same promotion or marketing blitz that BVS or Suicide Squad managed to get. When you look at WB's Facebook page on Wonder Woman, they were not giving it the same amount of attention that they were giving to BVS, Suicide Squad, or Justice League.

Maybe WB didn't feel confident in Wonder Woman being well received, or they didn't want to get trounced by Marvel/Disney's marketing blitz for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. But WB went ballistic with the marketing for Wonder Woman after it got a great response from the critics.

I guess it was smart on their part for using the critics and rottentomatoes to their advantage at the last minute, but it was one hell of a gamble, which makes this all the more fascinating to me.

I don't get it at all..... the bitching and moaning and fighting over fictional characters and their respective films.

I also don't get how we can have 10 pages of this muck and not one person realize they need to take the conversation elsewhere. Almost missed gurus tweet cause it's buried in a pile of MCU v DCU shit. 

• Like 8

Just now, KJsooner said:

This post caught my eye. Calling CA:CW Ambitionless or Messy is very clickbatish to Marvel Fanboys, and you're going to rile up a lot of them by saying this. Of course, they're going to come out of the woodwork and start slamming the DCU films. The DCU fanboys will come out and start slamming the MCU. In the end, Nobody will change their opinions. DCU fanboys will continue to like their universal and Marvel fans the same. It'll just be a waste of time.Now, I don't want you think that I'm singling you out individually, so I apologize if it comes across that way. But, this is out how it works. 

so I shouldn't state my opinion because it might upset some people?

Clearly this guy has an Agenda that does include bias.

This article from Variety pointed out the issue that I'm talking about. This was written back in April, that was addressing the issue of Wonder Woman being buried in the marketing and not being heavily promoted. And this was basically written over two months ago. There was more marketing being done for Justice League, which isn't even out until November. And it points out how much promotion that BVS and Suicide Squad was getting a few months each films release.

It was obvious that WB was using a different approach with Wonder Woman.

Here's the link. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265