Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

It would be interesting to compare WW pta with some other cbms.

But you only have to look at the gross.  Most comic book films are in around 4000 theaters, so the PTA isn't really going to tell more of a story.

3 hours ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Man of Steel also sold less tickets than for Superman Returns. That wasn't good either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, as Tele said, time to put it to bed.  You made your point.  You're relatively new here so you don't know the history of the Marvel DC stuff.  But we got to a point about a year ago where there's too much passion/looniness to this kind of stuff, so we consider this to be poisoning the well.  If you must continue on with this direction, there is a franchise war thread.  Take it there, please.  But the weekend thread is not the place for it.

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ArmGunar said:

1496672526-iphone-image-06-05-2017.jpg

My $103.7 looking mighty good!  Still say $50+ next weekend, over $300 mil total.  

(PS - Is Gitesh trolling this thread?)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

But you only have to look at the gross.  Most comic book films are in around 4000 theaters, so the PTA isn't really going to tell more of a story.

Sorry for my ignorance, but doesn't better pta means better legs? Or that there is not much difference in theater count?

'cos someone above said that WW got less showings then gotg.

So, this must certainly mean that the film is generating good word of mouth, right? I don't know how these things work, but don't small Sunday drops indicate audience are liking what they saw and buzzing about it?

Yes, "Wonder Woman" most likely has excellent word of mouth right now. It has a great Cinemascore, and it's in the top 250 list on IMDB. Which isn't a perfect voting system, but it shows the amount of love and popularity that it's starting to get in the general population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

the thread title is a bit misleading, I thought it's down 16% from estimated figure at one glance.....

It's down only 16% on Sunday from Saturday's number.

34 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

With how things have turned out lately, I would not be shocked if some executives at WB were thinking, " Man of Steel sequel? Nah. How about a World's Finest film starring DC's holy trinity? That's the ticket!"

I'd oppose that. First because there is no novelty there, it already happened with BvS and I do think that if at the very least BvS kinda screwed up WW's opening, it deserved to open much bigger than already did but it's not like this film won't have June all for itself, so that's amazing news.

I think that WB takeaways from Wonder Woman should be the following, if they are wise:

- More Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman 2 ASAP.

- Geoff Johns and Joss Whedon working closely together for Justice League. From what Zack Snyder directed to the additional shooting. Take a good hard luck why the acts on WW work and BvS did not, especially the third act.

- To enhance Gadot's role in JL without looking forced. Some tweaks from Whedon/Johns should be enough.

- Ask Jenkins what story she thinks she could tell with a third Justice League film. Let her focus on Wonder Woman's sequel first, keep networking with up and coming female directors for a possible switch up if Jenkins ends up directing the third chapter of the JL.

- Focus on making brilliant movies like WW to get the general audience's trust back. Meaning have a clear focus. I'd suggest going further, in this order:

2018: Snyder's/Whedon's JL, Wan's Aquaman

2019: Reeve's Batman, Zemickis The Flash, Whedon's Batgirl

2020: Jenkins Wonder Woman 2, Raimi's Superman

2021: Cyborg, Reeve's Batman 2, Suicide Squad 2

2022: Zemickis The Flash 2, Whedon's JL 2

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but doesn't better pta means better legs? Or that there is not much difference in theater count?

Let showings per theater, but a negligible difference in the number of theaters.  Happens in the Summer when there is more product out for the same number of screens.  First week of May films can have their run of the place given the weakness in the weeks before and immediately after.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I have no idea if it got less showings.  How would one even know that?  

Interesting that, even adjusted to 2017 dollars, WW opened higher than Batman Begins. Both films were preceded by stinkers that might have muted their openings somewhat, but BB was Batman's overall fifth film, while Wonder Woman is her first, which probably explains the better number. 

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Interesting that, even adjusted to 2017 dollars, WW opened higher than Batman Begins. Both films were preceded by stinkers that might have muted their openings somewhat, but BB was Batman's overall fifth film, while Wonder Woman is her first, which probably explains the better number. 

That and Begins had poor marketing.

• Like 1