Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Been saying it for a week while everyone been on the 130-150M OW predictions. 

So you were saying the film is gonna have bad WOM before the film even came out? :thinking: You wanna give me the winning lottery numbers too while you're at it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

So you were saying the film is gonna have bad WOM before the film even came out? :thinking: You wanna give me the winning lottery numbers too while you're at it? 

Don't know what to tell ya. 

What the difference between predicting bad or good WOM before the movie is out ?  And if I said BAD I didn't mean that. I just said it wouldn't be great... just the normal. 

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

No it really is true. A lot of friends in the music community never comment on movies and a lot commented on going to see this specifically for him and being let down to find out he only had 8 minutes of screen time or whatever it was.

Plus I think Harley and The Joker were the biggest Halloween costumes last year. But it was mainly the trailer that sold people.

Poll says Harley Quinn and Deadshot were the top draws.

Sure the Joker had some draw but the film didn't make 325dom and 740 Ww just because of him.

13 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Don't see great WOM. People seem to like the movie but also from what I've read, most said they thought it would be better based on all the early "OMG THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER" hype. Not to mention, Pirates is still out, The Mummy and Cars 3 coming up. Spider-Man in a month. It's not going to have crazy legs. 

So a Pirates movie with mixed at best WOM, Mummy which has little buzz, same for Cars 3, are going to affect a movie getting great reviews and great early buzz? Spider-Man is a month away, has zero affect on this movie. Legs are going to be fantastic. 

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Is it so hard to believe that some portion of people went to see this iteration of joker after the legendary performance by Heath Ledger?

Is it hard to believe that more than the Joker had draw for the film???

I mean there were also Will Smith along with a few other big names in the film as well .

The success of the film wasn't only because of the Joker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

No it really is true. A lot of friends in the music community never comment on movies and a lot commented on going to see this specifically for him and being let down to find out he only had 8 minutes of screen time or whatever it was.

Plus I think Harley and The Joker were the biggest Halloween costumes last year. But it was mainly the trailer that sold people.

The thing is SS had a ton of buzz and awareness outside of the typical comic book crowd especially in the youth and female crowd....

Also, WOM was rather toxic within the superhero community but to a lot of the general audience said 'its a stupid film but it was fun' 

• Like 1

Further to DeeCee's  email about the Australian # - i think given the opening it's heading for a OW of 6 - 7m (I'll use 6.5m as the #)

Looking harder at various DC properties in recent times we have:

(AU openings are in AUD fyi)

SS ~ 133.7m US / 13.9m AU ~ 9.6x

BVS ~ 166m US / 13.2m AU ~ 12.6x

MOS ~ 116.6m US / 8.9m AU ~ 13.1x

Staying within the DCU that's an average of 11.8x which makes a projected US opening of 77m or thereabouts.

Going outside the DCU and you have:

TDK ~ 158.4m US / 11.8m AU ~ 13.4x

TDKR ~ 160.9m US / 15.1m AU ~ 10.7x

BB ~ 48.7m US / 4.1m AU ~ 11.9x

SR ~ 52.5m US / 5.2m AU ~ 10.1x

average across all the above DC films  is 11.6x which puts it around 75m OW

even best case of 13.4x here puts the opening at 87m.  

Using the AU opening as a basis (assuming it travels normally through the weekend to a 6.5m ow), i get an opening range of 70m - 85m (someways below the recent talk of 120m+)

• Like 2

WW was the only DCEU movie i was really interesyed in right from the get go because she is a childhood hero of mine since the reruns of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman TV show and because as a woman, i crave for more female led action movies ever since i saw my favourite one , Anne Parillaud's Nikita from Besson.

Thats said, i never expect it to break out the way only male centric superhero movies do. 

I still believe there is a still a long way to go for us to draw as many movie goers as a male would have done if he had been head lining the same movie.  Action stars which superheroes movies derived from are still very male centric and there are still many people who wont take a female superhero as serious.

Hope she does enough though to incease female led action movies as BO will be the only factor in that regard for studios to consider giving more chances to actresses and female directors in that specific genre.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The thing is SS had a ton of buzz and awareness outside of the typical comic book crowd especially in the youth and female crowd....

Also, WOM was rather toxic within the superhero community but to a lot of the general audience said 'its a stupid film but it was fun' 

People enjoyed the film so they rewarded it with a big o.W and decent legs.

The Joker wasn't the big draw but the film itself was.

15 minutes ago, James said:

The 75-80m predictions... :rofl:Also, WOM is excellent is Twitter is any indication. It has a 28:1 pos to neg ratio compared to 2:1 that BvS and SS got on OD.

What's funny? 75-80 looks a lot more reasonable than the 120-150+ numbers, especially now that Australia's number seems in line with a 75ish opening. 

• Like 1