Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 hours ago, TLK said:

Is there a precedence for a CBM movie increasing 30-40% from its opening Friday during summer ?

This is a good question, and I was interested in knowing this so I did of bit of digging around. I'm assuming you meant from true Friday (sans previews/midnights) - but in any event, this is what I'm most interested in given the variation in size of preview grosses (over time and across different films with different levels of anticipation).

Ultimately, it seems that there wouldn't be much precedent for this (see list below). And also that we hardly have any comparisons for comic book movies released in June. Man of Steel is the only recent-ish example. There was Spider-Man 2, but it opened on a Wednesday (and back in June 2004), so I haven't included it. Same with The Amazing Spider-Man which opened on a Tuesday in July. And my list isn't exhaustive, since I didn't feel like going back through all of them (e.g. the older Fantastic Four movies, etc, which probably aren't the best comparisons anyway).

Interestingly, GOTG Vol. 2, a film released just weeks ago, seems to have the best Saturday increase on opening weekend (from true Friday) of any comic book film in the modern era released in the May-August frame (Spider-Man bests it but was released wayyy back in 2002).

As for Wonder Woman then, it will be interesting to see where its Saturday ultimately lands. This week was the end of May/beginning of June, so I've read others on here say that Friday was still a day in which many kids were in school in the US. Personally, where I live in Canada, kids are in school until the end of June, so it isn't until July that we hit the true peak of summer in terms of kids being off school.

But still, unless I'm missing any notable examples (and I may be), it does seem as if increasing 30+% from true Friday for a comic book film in summer (May-August) is relatively unheard of... this actually makes GOTG Vol. 2's Saturday increase seem even more impressive to me.

Approximate Saturday Increases/Decreases from True Fridays (Sans Previews) for Comic Book Films that Opened May-August (Not an Exhaustive List)

Spider-Man: +34% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: +31% (May)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: +25% (May)

Captain America: Civil War: +21% (May)

Ant-Man: +20% (July)

Iron Man 3: +17% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy: +16% (August)

X-Men: Apocalypse: +13% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Marvel's The Avengers: +12% (May)

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +7% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Iron Man 2: +5% (May)

Thor: +5% (May)

Man of Steel: +4% (June)

Spider-Man 3: +3% (May)

Captain America: The First Avenger: +1% (July)

The Dark Knight Rises: -0.5% (July)

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -0.5% (May)

The Dark Knight: -2% (July)

Suicide Squad: -13% (August)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't remember what my first superhero movie in theaters was: probably one of the X-Men movies or one of Sam Raimi's Super-man movies.

Also my current top 10 ranking of 2017:

1) Get Out

2) John Wick: Chapter Two

3) Logan

4) Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

5) Colossal

6) Kong: Skull Island

7) Lego Batman

8) Wonder Woman

9) Split

10) Life

So far only top 4 are A-level movies. I will be surprised if Life remains in the top 10 by the end of the summer.

Hmmm....

1. Logan

2. Get Out

3. The Lego Batman Movie

4. Split

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

6. Wonder Woman

7. The Fate of the Furious

8. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

9. Alien: Covenant

10. Kong: Skull Island

(a lot of this is subject to change as I still haven't seen films like Colossal, John Wick 2, Raw, A Cure for Wellness, Life, Song to Song, Trainspotting 2, Personal Shopper, etc. that I'll see in the near future)

so far

1. Raw

2. Guardians 2

3. Logan

4. The Lost City of Z

5. Wonder Woman

6. Get Out

7. Colossal

8. John Wick 2

9. Fate of the Furious

10. Free Fire

Raw is an A-. the rest are spread out across the B range.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

MOS= Great movie, the second best of the DCEU in my view. The fights were incredible, intense. I also loved the destruction.

BVS= It tried to be so many things. It's a MOS sequel, then it tries to set a ton of things up, like Justice League. Too many dark scenes. It's basically the The Amazing Spider Man 2 of the DCEU universe. Too many things going on, too many plots going on, zero focus, all over the place. 

SS= It's actually cool and fine for the first 30-45 minutes. Then, something happens and the movie stops making sense. It seems the movie was "Tranked". Viola Davis hires the bad guys for what? The movie still has to answer that. The villain only appears after the bad guys get hired by Viola Davis. The editing is a mess, the tone is a mess, movie doesn't know what it wants to be. Soundtrack is hit or miss. Joker can't be alive in a universe where Batman kills as many people as the Punisher. 

WW= This is the best DCEU movie. The plot makes sense, the movie has a focus, the acting is great, action is great, villain is great. Everything is good. 

I believe that most people who dislike Man of Steel do so because its portrayal of Superman differs from that of its Silver-Age, boy-scout counterpart, which is the version portrayed by Christopher Reeve. However, this merely makes the film a poor adaptation (according to only a particular standard) but not necessarily a bad movie. Furthermore, people should realize that MoS' version of the character is more in line with that from the New 52, who is younger, inexperienced, and more aggressive and whose costume has been modernized. 

Anyhow, I personally love the film due to its tight screenplay, riveting and innovative depiction of superhero action, unique and well-integrated science fiction that emphasizes Clark's alien origins, and its effective dramatic/ emotional moments.

In regard to the screenplay, the use of flashbacks that are triggered by actions that Clark makes in the present to gradually reveal his upbringing as the story unfolds is brilliant, as it frees the film of some of the major burdens of origin stories. 

In regard to the action, no other film has - even to this day - depicted superpowered characters move with such speed and ferocity; the action is very much what I'd imagine that of a live-action DBZ movie to  be like. 

The designs of the Kryptonian ships and armour, as well as the Kryptonian holographic technology and concept of the codex/ registry of citizens are all amazing and create a well-defined dividing line between Clark's species and humanity. 

Finally, the film has some genuinely moving emotional moments thanks to its stellar cast, which includes Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, and Michael Shannon (who gives one of the best portrays of a villain in all comic-book movies). 

Let's not forget the incredible score by Hans Zimmer. 

Man of Steel is a great movie, especially among those in the comic-book genre. 

9/10

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Hmmm....

1. Logan

2. Get Out

3. The Lego Batman Movie

4. Split

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

6. Wonder Woman

7. The Fate of the Furious

8. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

9. Alien: Covenant

10. Kong: Skull Island

(a lot of this is subject to change as I still haven't seen films like Colossal, John Wick 2, Raw, A Cure for Wellness, Life, Song to Song, Trainspotting 2, Personal Shopper, etc. that I'll see in the near future)

How was Underpants?

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Pretty sure my first superhero film in theaters was X-men in 2000, and I would have been 8. 

If we include on TV, my first superhero film was this beauty

Batman-Mask-of-the-Phantasm-wallpaper.jp

I saw that in theaters. Yass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BluRayHiDef said:

I believe that most people who dislike Man of Steel do so because its portrayal of Superman differs from that of its Silver-Age, boy-scout counterpart, which is the version portrayed by Christopher Reeve. However, this merely makes the film a poor adaptation (according to only a particular standard) but not necessarily a bad movie. Furthermore, people should realize that MoS' version of the character is more in line with that from the New 52, who is younger, inexperienced, and more aggressive and whose costume has been modernized. 

I think he's just not a good character, period. He is purely reactive, and has little motivation beyond not letting Zod destroy everything, he barely emotes, and he gets none of the good dialogue in the movie. I still like MoS, because while it may not be a good Superman movie, it's a great Zod movie.

• Like 1

I was 6, saw Batman 89. Exciting times though I don't remember the whole experience.  Can't wait till Baumer does 1989, a great year with Ghostbusters 2 and Honey I Shrunk the Kids among others.

Edited by Caladbolg

Yup Man of Steel is brilliant and is aging very well.  I watched it again the other night and no film since has topped the superhero action sequences. I'm not a "Snyder is God!" person at all but the guy is a visual master.  Even James Cameron says it.  Listen to James Cameron

Ranking things I've seen in theatres this year:

1- Raiders of the Lost Ark

2- Alien

3- La La Land

4- Get Out

5- Manchester by the Sea

6- Silence

7- Arrival

8- Moonlight

9- Logan

10- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Even if I'd just seen the theatrical cut of BvS, I'd have no problems following along with the movies plot. Extended/directors cut just put back in the scenes that were cut out for some dumbass reason. Lots of people looked at the movie in a more favorable light after the DC came out on Blu-ray. 

• Like 1

to this day i'll never get why man of steel is the movie where the internet started to pretend like they care about "DUH CIVILEANS" in these action movies. but it helped to make the climax of age of ultron as dull as possible so thanks guys?

• Like 6

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

to this day i'll never get why man of steel is the movie where the internet started to pretend like they care about "DUH CIVILEANS" in these action movies. but it helped to make the climax of age of ultron as dull as possible so thanks guys?

Because god forbid Hollywood changes something about their men in spandex.