Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

The 3rd quarter is past 11pm on the east coast. Game didn't start until after 9pm. If you committed to watching the game, like I did then it was impossible to see Wonder Woman.

On the East coast, you could go to a 7 PM show and be back home before end of the first half pretty easily. But I do wonder how much impact the game had. Must have had some impact, especially in Central/Mountain/Pacific time zones. But the flip side is that this probably has more fan rush than something like Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe the two things (NBA/fan rush) will cancel each other out and they perform very similar to each other over the weekend.

• Like 2

Just now, Jordanstine said:

So safe to say $100m is a lock, right?

not even close to a lock.  Now can it make $100m, of course, but nothing is locked at the moment from just the preview number

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

GOTG is probably the best comparison but that was a pretty unknown property compared to WW so WW legs might be a little less...but then again WW is more female skewing  

Female driven movies tend to have better legs post o/w but during o/w tend to be more front loaded - unless they're family films.

Apart from Walmart fiasco even the Father's Day Sunday makes MOS a bad comp. It fell 0.1% on Sunday.

The FSS was 116.6. Had Sunday dropped ~20% instead of 0.1%, FSS would be 109-110.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think Guardians is a very good comparison. Both summer releases with kids out of school. Big question is how much did NBA Finals Game 1 impact the Thursday performance? Guardians didn't have something like that to hurt it. So this could mean Wonder Woman over-performs the rest of the weekend. $100m is definitely in play.

I'm still holding out hope for my $138m prediction. But I'm not worried, WOM for this thing will be off the charts. This really is the superhero movie of the year.

• Like 1

I don't think Guardians is a good comparison.  Early August and July previews are much larger than early june, summers only just now starting to kick in.

Next, the NBA final took away a lot of the audience, who may just show up later during the weekend.  

Lastly, this movie is going to skew more female than any other Superhero film, but I don't think in a frontloaded way.  I see it having a better than normal IM even without taking into consideration the muted NBA thursday.

I wouldn't really claim anything to be dead yet, I'd still wait and see.

• Like 6

Just now, a2knet said:

Apart from Walmart fiasco even the Father's Day Sunday makes MOS a bad comp. It fell 0.1% on Sunday.

The FSS was 116.6. Had Sunday dropped ~20% instead of 0.1%, FSS would be 109-110.

Also Midnights

It's like comparing Avengers midnights to AOU's Thur previews for a projection - aside from it being a sequel it's just not the same

• Like 1

Just now, raegr said:

I set myself up for disappointment :(

Great number but I really wanted 120+

I will learn my lesson and temper my expectations for JL

I was expecting around 150m for both WW and JL. I'll still keep my 150m expectation for JL, for now.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Female driven movies tend to have better legs post o/w but during o/w tend to be more front loaded - unless they're family films.

It has a 50/50 male/female ratio.  Can we really call WW "female driven"?

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

On the East coast, you could go to a 7 PM show and be back home before end of the first half pretty easily. But I do wonder how much impact the game had. Must have had some impact, especially in Central/Mountain/Pacific time zones. But the flip side is that this probably has more fan rush than something like Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe the two things (NBA/fan rush) will cancel each other out and they perform very similar to each other over the weekend.

I went to a 7PM showing and was home by 9:30. I missed some of the first quarter but I really really wanted to watch Wonder Woman so I sacrificed the first few minutes of the game. I don't know if other people did the same but to me the NBA Finals are weird because while game 1 is huge....I know there are at least 3 other games after it so I don't feel required to watch the whole first game as opposed to something like a Game 7, NCAA Championship final or say the Super Bowl. 

Of course like I said...this is just from own personal perspective. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm still holding out hope for my $138m prediction. But I'm not worried, WOM for this thing will be off the charts. This really is the superhero movie of the year.

Jack, didn't we already go through this with GOTG2?  What was the number for that $180?  $200?   :thinking:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, raegr said:

I set myself up for disappointment :(

Great number but I really wanted 120+

I will learn my lesson and temper my expectations for JL

Wonder Woman will no doubt be more heavily featured in future JL advertising.

Edited by Jordanstine