Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Be even cooler if she wasn't a running backdrop to revealing Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman in BvS and pivotal in the climatic battle v. Doomsday but the shared universe of modern superhero stuff has destroyed that for pretty much every solo debut. But, yeah, that'll be great for WW. If you're using inflation of the Burton Bats might as well use it for Iron Man and MoS as well. Likely behind those unless it really breaks out this weekend. And both of those were the beginning not just for the character but for the shared universe of each series. Iron Man is especially ridiculous given before the movie I'd say Wonder Woman and especially Superman had much, much more brand awareness. It inflates to $125.7M OW DOM. MoS inflates to $123M OW DOM.

Yea, it's definitely tough to measure with all these damn shared universe bullshits anymore. I don't want to get into the big debate, but I tend not to adjust anything that came out after about 2000/2001. Yes, inflation has happened, but there's thousands more entertainment options, readily available streaming/on-demand, pirating, and the fact that high ticket prices are putting so many people off that the extra money is making up for lost tickets instead of inflating normal ones. I tend to fall in the camp that says every gain in inflation has been cancelled out by some other change in the landscape, fwiw.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Is anyone accounting for gay men ? 

Literally 99% of fan pictures I see on twitter from opening night (re-tweeted by comic book accounts, ETC) are from gay men. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but yeah this 50/50 ratio or w/e is out there wouldn't be exactly accurate of half those men are gay. 

I think it would be interesting to be able to account for sexual orientation/sexual identity too, but for the purposes of the gender breakdown this doesn't change anything, as those who identify as gay men are identifying as men. So the 50/50 gender breakdown, irrespective of sexuality, would stay the same.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Already Has $42 Million Worldwide

A quick international update for Wonder Woman. The Amazon Princess debuted in 32 new markets yesterday, so it's now open in 37 total not counting its debuts for today. The film earned a total of $12.1 million in said territories for an $18.7m running cume. Counting the $11m in Thursday grosses in North America and the $12m opening day in China, Wonder Woman enters the weekend with $41.7m worldwide.
Source: Forbes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

So explain why a 50/50 female male ratio "wouldn't be exactly accurate" in this case? Should gay men be considered in the female column, by your estimation?

No they wouldn't be considered females.

But why do we look at these things anyway ? We're all people right ? These ratios are created to see what the amount of men and women show up to these movies and I'm sorry if you disagree but gay men tend to like similar movies that women like. So sure 50% of the audience is still male, however there's a percentage within that 50% that likely wouldn't have showed up if they weren't gay.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Iron Raf said:

Again, don't mean to offend anyone.

I'm sure gay men show up to any movie. That wasn't the point. And the evidence isn't small. I follow several accounts on Twitter (such as Grace Randolph), who's been re-tweeting pictures from opening night and literally they're all women or gay men and I've never seen that for a CB movie or any movie in the past. Take that how you want but yes I do think there's a large part of the gay community that is showing up to this movie that likely would not show up to a Logan or Deadpool. 

Gender breakdowns are based on tweets but based on statistical evidence of who shows up at theaters. So your evidence is neither small or large: it's utterly irrelevant.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Again, don't mean to offend anyone.

I'm sure gay men show up to any movie. That wasn't the point. And the evidence isn't small. I follow several accounts on Twitter (such as Grace Randolph), who's been re-tweeting pictures from opening night and literally they're all women or gay men and I've never seen that for a CB movie or any movie in the past. Take that how you want but yes I do think there's a large part of the gay community that is showing up to this movie that likely would not show up to a Logan or Deadpool. 

For all it's worth, I saw plenty of men at my showing who (if we go by stereotypical notions) could be perceived as gay. Obviously, being feminine and flamboyantly extroverted doesn't necessarily mean a man is gay, but I'm just saying. Additionally, lots of gay men I personally know adore Wonder Woman. 

4 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

But why do we look at these things anyway ? We're all people right ? These ratios are created to see what the amount of men and women show up to these movies and I'm sorry if you disagree but gay men tend to like similar movies that women like. So sure 50% of the audience is still male, however there's a percentage within that 50% that likely wouldn't have showed up if they weren't gay.

Tbf I'm mostly interested in how you know those men retweeted by comic book accounts are gay. Like what did they post, "Having a gay time at the Wonder Woman premiere #homosexual"?

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 12

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

It's like you don't know any gay man or your perspective of a gay man is what you've seen in an old outdated sit-com like Will & Grace. Having said that, go to any superhero fandom's Tumblr. You'll find lots of gay men who watch all the superhero movies. You'll find gay men who relate to the X-Men because of people like you. Knowing actual gay men, they share lots of taste with straight men when it comes to movies (and women too!). Finally, the gay population is pretty small last I checked and would only impact any breakdown by a couple percentage points.

• Like 2

Just now, Cochofles said:

For all it's worth, I saw plenty of men at my showing who (if we go by stereotypical notions) could be perceived as gay. Obviously, being feminine and flamboyantly extroverted doesn't necessarily mean a man is gay, but I'm just saying. Additionally, lots of gay men I personally know adore Wonder Woman. 

That's all I'm saying. Not trying to sound like a douche bag or anything. Just bringing up the fact that WW has an audience that other CB movies haven't had when you account for the extra women watching and also from the gay community. 

• Like 2

Just read a old avatar box office thread.

In the beginning-

This will do 1 billion WW which will be good for this film.

After opening weekend-

Yep tgis no titanic, will do 350-400 domestic.

After second weekend-

500 domestic and rotk WW possible.

End of the thread-

I am done predicting cameron films box office for ever. This guy is god.:D:D:D

5 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

There are different types of gay men and their tastes in entertainment varies by the person. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Tbf I'm mostly interested in how you know those men retweeted by comic book accounts are gay. Like what did they post, "Having a gay time at the Wonder Woman premiere #homosexual"?

I was waiting for someone to ask that.

I wasn't born yesterday. There are plenty of gays that hide it and plenty who don't.... and let's say these that I've been seeing .. don't. 

10 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

"Gadot acted brilliantly but Pine stole the eyeballs" or  "Too much Gadot, too little Pine" or "WW has the lasso, but Pine slayed", etc., etc., etc. ;)

Edited by a2knet