Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, Iron Raf said:

I said what I had to say and backed it up with what I saw. I don't have any data to prove it nor do I care if anyone believes any of it. I just brought up an observation I made and well, do with it what you like. 

If you don't have any evidence at all, then it's a baseless statement. You're better off not bringing it up in the first place

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

Avatar's legacy is clearly us debating whether it has a legacy or not.

For a film supposedly forgotten, people sure do love to bring it up on these for discussion. So forgettable is it, that it's impossible to forget. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling DWA under Universal will outsource all their films. Everyone apart from Disney and Pixar do it.

It saves money and keep costs down so from a studio perspective it makes sense. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Some notable things that got cheers at my showing:

WW's first appearance in costume.

All the big action beats. And most of the minor ones.

The trailer for Dunkirk.

The trailer for BladeRunner 2049

The trailer for Justice League

Anecdotally, not only were there cheers for JL, but several of the women in the audience vocally praised Jason Momoa. And maybe some men, too.

I had the same reaction from the (mostly)elderly crowd last night.

Also good vibes for SM:HC

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

It's possible that there is more of a gay male audience for Wonder Woman due to the source material, appeal, etc, but it's really, really difficult to know without actual data. Anecdotal accounts really don't tell us much of anything. As mentioned earlier, gay men are not a monolith, and vary considerably in terms of tastes and interests, etc. And not all gay men fit the stereotype of who a gay man is, so anecdotally, you may think Wonder Woman attracts more gay men, but the reality could be that just as many gay men of all stripes are out there seeing other comic book films, because again, gay men aren't a monolithic block of people. I feel that's important to remember. :)

Peace,

Mike

I agree with all of that. Again, was just an observation I made that I hadn't see ever before. That's all. Everyone can put down their pitch forks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

It saves money and keep costs down so from a studio perspective it makes sense. 

True and I don't have a problem with it as some films like The Lego Movie and Storks looked great and had good storytelling but I think there will be a noticeable different in quality if you cut costs too much both in animation and story telling.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Research also suggests that the gender composition of audiences for blockbuster films becomes less male over time, or in other words that the female share of the audience increases over time (this occurs over mere days and the opening week of the film):

http://variety.com/2016/data/news/data-dive-how-audience-demographics-shift-for-blockbusters-over-theatrical-runs-1201732845/

Peace,

Mike

I would have imagined that the gender composition of audiences goes less and less divided over time (that it would have been the same for very female heavy opening night/weekend), simply a phenomenon of less hardcore franchise fans and more general audience/people not knowing much about the movie installing itself. They only used male heavy opening.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
20 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Unless there's a Chris Pine nude scene I don't know about, I'm not sure why this movie would attract more gay men that your typical superhero film. 

Wonder Woman is sort-of an icon within the LGBT community actually. Iron Raf is wrong is assuming Wonder Woman is an outlier, the first superhero movie to have gay appeal, but hints of Wonder Woman's bisexuality means a lot of LGBT people identify with her. She's also a strong independent female character which a lot of gay people have liked. But it's not because gay people are more like women and like womanly things.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

True and I don't have a problem with it as some films like The Lego Movie and Storks looked great and had good storytelling but I think there will be a noticeable different in quality if you cut costs too much both in animation and story telling.

The animation doesn't look as detail, though it's still pretty good even with the budget cuts I'd say. 

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

The animation doesn't look as detail, though it's still pretty good even with the budget cuts I'd say. 

I think animation has improved greatly that you can still have a great looking film on a moderate budget, I'm always impressed what Aardman and Laika achieve and even in television, the animation quality is top notch, more on the 2D side than CG.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

It's possible that there is more of a gay male audience for Wonder Woman due to the source material, appeal, etc, but it's really, really difficult to know without actual data. Anecdotal accounts really don't tell us much of anything. As mentioned earlier, gay men are not a monolith, and vary considerably in terms of tastes and interests, etc. And not all gay men fit the stereotype of who a gay man is, so anecdotally, you may think Wonder Woman attracts more gay men, but the reality could be that just as many gay men of all stripes are out there seeing other comic book films, because again, gay men aren't a monolithic block of people. I feel that's important to remember. :)

Peace,

Mike

I think the general takeaway - no matter matter how you calculate sexual preference into the equation - is that WW will be a somewhat different audience demographically than your typical comic book film.  That will, in turn, affect its pattern and multipliers going forward.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Who even wants another one beyond Avatar 2? I think planning so many films is going to end up being somewhat of a flop. 

9.32.25-AM-630x353.png

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Who even wants another one beyond Avatar 2? I think planning so many films is going to end up being somewhat of a flop. 

That depend so much on Avatar 2 setup that it is hard to know, it all depend on what those movies will be about.

Like many pointing out, outside the pandora setting not much matter to people, those movie can be pretty much anything. 

• Like 1