Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I got to say, that would be extremely disappointing for Wonder Woman. Barely making more than Dr. Strange despite a much bigger property, crossover appeal, better reviews, and more marketing would be....

All of this is true, maybe except the much bigger property part, all the metric I could find (not that they were good enough to make them credible) did point to Wonder Woman being clearly out of the top tier property (bat/super/spider/iron man), more on the second tier with Wolverine and Cap when played by their iconic actor. Specially worldwide.

So an opening close to Logan (that had also good reviews and some appeal outside the usual SH crowd) would not be that surprising, even if I feel like you specially with this week buzz, if you feel underwhelming to not reach 100m.

• Like 3

Just now, Wonder89 said:

So no Wonder Woman sequel, I'm a fan of the character and I'm sad I will not see a WW solo film anymore:(

What? A sequel has already been Green lit. It's gonna be profitable. 

1 minute ago, Empire said:

A 34-35M opening day would still be good, but I would be disappointed. For WW to just open around Dr. Strange is kind of shocking. I expect much more. 

Female leads have a tougher time, I'm afraid! 

There is a reason it's taken so long for WW to get her own film. 

I'm a little surprised by these numbers to be honest. I was sure that since WW was already a very famous character and a female super hero film being very anticipated and the great reviews this would preform easily above 100 million OW. Maybe DC's poor reputation hurt this? 

Considering it's preview to OD ratio is close to GOTG1, despite June previews being heavier than usual, 90+ seems nearly certain IMO.

Also, just from memory I feel Deadline seems to be a bit conservative with their early numbers. There 2nd set of numbers off late have been very accurate.

• Like 2

Just now, Krissykins said:

Female leads have a tougher time, I'm afraid! 

There is a reason it's taken so long for WW to get her own film. 

Sadly that is true. Hopefully it has great legs. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think animation has improved greatly that you can still have a great looking film on a moderate budget, I'm always impressed what Aardman and Laika achieve and even in television, the animation quality is top notch, more on the 2D side than CG.

It helps when you have talented animators who can work around limited animation as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

What? A sequel has already been Green lit. It's gonna be profitable. 

Wait, was it really greenlit? All I've heard is that Patty Jenkins talked about what she would do IF they did a sequel.