Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

3 minutes ago, mredman said:

What is wrong with the negativity in some people here lol. This is the first female superhero movie. Of course its not gonna do Guardians, Iron Man, Superman, Batman, JL, Avengers numbers. It is also a highly praised movie on 93% RT is absolutely fantastic. An opening like this for Wonder Woman is VERY VERY good.

It's not, actually. Catwoman and Elektra happened, as much as we want to forget them. Obviously WW has much more going for it than those films, but it being the first female-led superhero film is factually wrong. It's merely the first well-received female-led superhero movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

If that 3m friday and 11.5m weekend number holds for guardians it would be phenomenal. That would be the same number as AOU and the same weekend drop as AOU and far better than CW and IM3. With this number 390m is guaranteed with 400 in play with what is looking like a weak June. Whats even better about this number which is same as AOU is that it has held the same despite facing a direct and much higher competition than AOU faced.

That's why I have doubts over this number. Too good to be true..LOL

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

If that 3m friday and 11.5m weekend number holds for guardians it would be phenomenal. That would be the same number as AOU and the same weekend drop as AOU and far better than CW and IM3. With this number 390m is guaranteed with 400 in play with what is looking like a weak June. Whats even better about this number which is same as AOU is that it has held the same despite facing a direct and much higher competition than AOU faced.

GOTG2 needs 400.515 to beat CA2's legs :) (259.767/95.024*146.510)

Pretty tough but wouldn't it be INSANE if a 146.5 OW movie does that?

What a complete BO performance by GOTG2.

6 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

It's not, actually. Catwoman and Elektra happened, as much as we want to forget them. Obviously WW has much more going for it than those films, but it being the first female-led superhero film is factually wrong. It's merely the first well-received female-led superhero movie.

No, it's technically true.  Both of these characters were originally villains in their origin story, so WW is technically the 1st true female-led superhero (vs reformed villain, anti-hero, etc)...

EDIT: Forgot the awful Supergirl, so this is #2:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

Supergirl 1984 was the first.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Penelope Cruz, when has she ever been a star?

Depend on definition of star, but she had a salary of 1.6 million on the movie Sahara:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-movie15apr15-story.html

(too considering Steve Zhan was paid 2.2 million+264k in perk on the same movie and McConaughey 8 million, maybe it is more an argument that she was not a star at all or that women that were not at the very top were paid much less than male actor

Between 2006-2010 I think she was in many market, her awareness metric among movie going audience were really great (specially france, italy, mexico, russia, spain), those are elite number:

Cruz, Penelope Australia 0.89244186
Cruz, Penelope Brazil 0.945219124
Cruz, Penelope France 0.971057884
Cruz, Penelope Germany 0.947052947
Cruz, Penelope Italy 0.984047856
Cruz, Penelope Japan 0.599400599
Cruz, Penelope Korea 0.665504924
Cruz, Penelope Mexico 0.967098704
Cruz, Penelope Russia 0.9760992
Cruz, Penelope Spain 0.978
Cruz, Penelope UK 0.934328358
Cruz, Penelope Int'l Average 0.896386496
Edited by Barnack

With $11 million in previews for Wonder Woman, a $37.5 million Friday (Deadline’s high end) would mean previews would represent 29.3% of the opening day gross, which for an early June release sounds pretty strong, I think. But if the low end of Deadline’s projection is accurate, I would say that’s a weak Friday number. 

A gross closer to $40 million (as per Variety) would represent a 27.5-29% share from previews, and likely a $100+ million opening weekend (maybe?) - I'm not sure about how to project this one. Is early June sort of comparable to early May, or are we starting to get into distinctly more frontloaded summer territory?

Below are the estimated preview grosses for some other comic book films and the share of opening day for each. Obviously time of year matters. Perhaps someone who better knows what they're talking about can add their insight.

The Dark Knight Rises — 30.6 million (40.4%)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 27.7 million (34.0%)

Avengers: Age of Ultron — 27.6 million (32.7%)

Captain America: Civil War — 25 million (33.1%)

Suicide Squad — 20.5 million (31.6%)

Marvel's The Avengers — 18.7 million (23.1%)

The Dark Knight — 18.5 million (27.5%)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 17 million (30.2%)

Iron Man 3 — 15.6 million (22.7%)

Deadpool — 12.7 million (26.8%)

Guardians of the Galaxy — 11.2 million (29.6%)

Captain America: Winter Soldier — 10.2 million (27.6%)

Doctor Strange — 9.4 million (28.8%)

Peace,
Mike
Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 4

Just now, CasualName99 said:

That's why I have doubts over this number. Too good to be true..LOL

True I was expecting around 10m which would still be a great number. That being said it has higher Theatre count than AOU and has had better legs than AOU which would explain such a good number. Either way phenomenal performance and legs for gotg2

1 minute ago, cory said:

Supergirl 1984 was the first.

Now that one...I even forgot existed...that one was horrible!:).  So, WW is #2:)...but really, that Supergirl was a tv movie-esque version (they couldn't have tried harder than that with that awful movie:)...

WONDR China OD is 12.1M USD.

That's good right?

I am a noob at China BO but thinking 35M USD OW and 70M USD Total?

Edit:

I want WONDR to go over MOS WW and going higher in China is a good start.

It's true that the Chinese market has grown a lot since MOS but then Superman is far more popular than WONDR globally. So it would be creditable for sure.

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, it's technically true.  Both of these characters were originally villains in their origin story, so WW is technically the 1st true female-led superhero (vs reformed villain, anti-hero, etc)...

Eh. So Suicide Squad isn't a superhero movie then?

As for WW's WOM, for what it's worth, anecdotally everyone in my family who I saw it with loved it, which is incredibly rare (we usually have two people who hate it lol)

Really think this will play well throughout all of June

• Like 5