Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Problem with the DCEU hitting Avengers level is they already blew their wad with BvS. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all in the same movie was quite a novelty to waste 2 movies in and with no buildup for 2 of the 3.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

CBM saturation is a real thing that obviously wasn't discussed back when MCU was in the opening years. 

It's also something that many is in denial about.

Im not gonna call it fatigue but there's more to the market now so the Dollar is being spread around.

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

He meant as a 1.6bil grosser kind of film .

The real question is ,Will any Comic book film ever get that high again?..

I mean the film did do 620mil domestic that's a hard number to achieve for a comic book film in today's market.

So far 450dom have been the ceiling.

Infinity War is a lock for 1.5B. Only question is how much more than that it's making.

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

The Avengers was the exception, not the rule. It was a build up of movies that had great reviews critically and from the audience, had a massive marketing prelude, and had brand trust from the audience. DC needs to make their movies better, first, before they can even start to think of a TA-style film.

Dude there is no question they originally planned on JL being that film. 

• Like 2

Just now, Iron Raf said:

Infinity War is a lock for 1.5B. Only question is how much more than that it's making.

Not even considering the ER. The only way for IW to make $1.5B+ is if it does $525M domestic and $975M foreign I can see the latter happening but not the former.

• Like 2

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Dude there is no question they originally planned on JL being that film. 

Yeah, but they don't have the fundamentals for it. And I think it'll go under BvS; maybe 250m.

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

It's also something that many is in denial about.

Im not gonna call it fatigue but there's more to the market now so the Dollar is being spread around.

I agree.

No such thing as comic book movie fatigue, but the bloom's off the rose.

When we have 4 or 5 comic book films a year, and every single one of them adheres to the same tropes and story beats, of course none of them is going to make 600 million. 

I mean, I guess the only big enough "event" at this point would be a DC/Marvel crossover...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

Problem with the DCEU hitting Avengers level is they already blew their wad with BvS. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all in the same movie was quite a novelty to waste 2 movies in and with no buildup for 2 of the 3.

That is something that has yet to be determined as JL could explode.

The problem with BVS was Expectations were entirely too high for its Boxoffice.

Nobody respects the film growth in Boxoffice from MOS.

5 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

AOU was a lock for 2bil but ended 200mil ww lower than TA.

People really need to start getting these expectations in check as I:W could barely beat out Civil War at the WW Boxoffice.

A Collage of characters doesn't guaranteed boxoffice returns,The movie has to also be good as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Not even considering the ER. The only way for IW to make $1.5B+ is if it does $525M domestic and $975M foreign I can see the latter happening but not the former.

IW will be marketed like a once in a lifetime event. Guardians meeting the Avengers for the first time. If the movie is to go beyond 1.5B they will have to do something crazy like killing Captain America which I think they will. Cap dying will make headlines everywhere. Might seem like a stupid comparison but I can see it being as emotional as Jack dying in Titanic. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

There were two 3 or 4 year olds seated behind my group of three. They were awful and thankfully, their mothers removed them after 30 minutes. I honestly wouldn't have minded if it was matinee but it was  7PM screening on the opening night. They were loud, didn't understand anything going on, constantly asking questions loudly and asking for food loudly. I was very thankful the mothers left with them early on enough.

The ones near you seem better behaved.

They weren't awful, they were children.  It's not a child's fault for acting like a child, it's a parent's fault for putting them in that situation.  Know you child.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The only SH movie I can see coming close to Avengers 1 number is IW1 or IW2 and even that would be difficult with the bad ER rate going on.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the international threads but the dollar has spent much of the year weakening. Well off the highs set early last year.