kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

8 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Of course, Diana doesn’t need Steve and Clark doesn’t need Lois. However, the best movies/artistic pieces are the ones where human beings (general audience) can relate to the character- whether that be through love or some other emotional connective tissue. Steve and Lois are conduits that allow us to connect to the super beings on screen. When Superman turns back time in defiance of Jor-El to bring Lois back, who didn’t feel his anguish? Emotions elevate art and movie making. You bring up Captain Marvel and I am not taking anything from it, as it is a good movie, but I just do not put it in league with: Superman the movie, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, The Dark Knight, Spider-man and Spider-man 2. In the first Spider-man movie, the connection was to Uncle Ben. In the second, it was to MJ. But unlike WW and Superman, Spider-Man and Batman are already human. They just experienced either a trauma or an extraordinary event that led them to become super heroes. That in and of itself can make the audience take the journey with them. 

IMO, lack of character development is one of the things that separates Captain Marvel from Wonder Woman. While I prefer the more upbeat tone, I wish there was more depth to her character. I don't think it would have made any sense for this movie the way it was written, but I would be completely on board with her having a relationship with someone, male or female in the sequel.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

IMO, lack of character development is one of the things that separates Captain Marvel from Wonder Woman. While I prefer the more upbeat tone, I wish there was more depth to her character. I don't think it would have made any sense for this movie the way it was written, but I would be completely on board with her having a relationship with someone, male or female in the sequel.

I think they could have explored what she left behind on earth more. I know they tried with her best friend and her best friend’s daughter, but it was more to connect her to her past (who she was) rather than for an emotional connection. I do think there are opportunities for CM2. The movie was a crowd pleaser and a lot of times, that is all a movie needs to be to be successful. Not every movie has to be a critical darling. The ones that are usually have that emotional punch also. Superman Returns has great emotion but was not a crowd pleaser, so it under-performed. Just the right mix is what makes a movie timeless. That’s what I wanted to convey. No digs at CM. I enjoyed it. I can’t wait to see more of her story on screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I see CM like I did Aquaman. Fun and exciting but lacking depth.

I enjoyed both CM and Aquaman, but I enjoyed CM more out of the two. The acting in Aquaman was bad at times. The visuals were fantastic though. Whereas, I went into CM expecting a pretty dry Brie Larson. But she surprised me. I thought she was charming and even funny at times. And I loved Nick Fury and that cat. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nova said:

*Whispers* Captain Marvel didn't have a love interest and she turned out fine. 

*Note: no one is saying these characters shouldn't have any relationships period. That would be an absurd thing to say. What I am saying is that a love interest is not necessary for these characters. 

And nobody said that a love interest is necessary.

However, it will happen.

In fact, I bet you (again) that at least the first film of every eventual series/trilogies/whatnot of Wonder Woman and Superman they make ad infinitum will include Steve and Lois. 

You will see.

It is not necessary, but there will always be a place for our favorite metahumans to fall in love with a mere mortal.

And I am sure that, just as superheroes themselves are a great wish fulfillment fantasy, Steve Trevor and Lois Lane are themselves a different type of wish fulfillment fantasy.

6 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I enjoyed both CM and Aquaman, but I enjoyed CM more out of the two. The acting in Aquaman was bad at times. The visuals were fantastic though. Whereas, I went into CM expecting a pretty dry Brie Larson. But she surprised me. I thought she was charming and even funny at times. And I loved Nick Fury and that cat. 

Goose was the MVP. Fury and CM were a great combo. When she had the big fall in the "chat" with the supreme intelligence and it goes through the montage of getting back up I loved that scene. Often the strongest people I've met in my life where those who failed many times before succeeding. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Now, that clip of Chris Hemsworth was really nice to see. There are many little girls like his daughters. WW has mesmerized and influenced another generation. Captain Marvel will be around for a long time too now. She will soon have the crown for highest grossing female superhero film, but I would be surprised if WW didn’t reclaim that crown in 2020.  

It was his two sons he was talking about actually hehe 

12 hours ago, Nova said:

I’m gonna agree to disagree with every single one of you. Diana didn’t need Steve Trevor and I don’t think Clark needs Louise Lane. I don’t need super heroes like Wonder Woman and Superman to be humanized because the reality is that they’re not human. That doesn’t mean they can’t portray similar feelings as humans do. I mean long before Steve Trevor showed up, Diana showed compassion and caring for the human race. It was her that made the decision to embark on saving humanity from Ares. And if I’m not mistaken, along the way, Steve Trevor pretty much made fun or didn’t believe Diana in her quest for Ares.....to the point where at the end of the film she even began doubting whether he existed at all. Super heroes can be connected to the human race and display a lot of humanistic qualities without needing a love interest/romantic relationship. Love comes in all forms. Needing a boyfriend or girlfriend is not necessary. 

We actually do need to have them humanised a bit otherwise there would be no threat and they would be really hard to relate to. 

Plus, Steve not believing Diana actually helps the film. We needed that to happen because some of the stuff is so far fetched (as all these films naturally are). So his character helps to reflect the audience. It would be pretty strange if he just believed all the other worldly and weird things she was saying and just went along with it all from the get go!

12 hours ago, Nova said:

*Whispers* Captain Marvel didn't have a love interest and she turned out fine. 

Yeh “fine” sums up the Captain Marvel character and film for me actually. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It was his two sons he was talking about actually hehe 

We actually do need to have them humanised a bit otherwise there would be no threat and they would be really hard to relate to. 

Plus, Steve not believing Diana actually helps the film. We needed that to happen because some of the stuff is so far fetched (as all these films naturally are). So his character helps to reflect the audience. It would be pretty strange if he just believed all the other worldly and weird things she was saying and just went along with it all from the get go!

Yeh “fine” sums up the Captain Marvel character and film for me actually. 

So his two sons made him watch the movie “100x”? 😂 I’m sure the number is hyperbole, but conveys that he(they) have watched it a lot. OMG! That is even more great. He is as awesome a dad as he is gorgeous. WW broadening her fan base.

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

So his two sons made him watch the movie “100x”? 😂 I’m sure the number is hyperbole, but conveys that he(they) have watched it a lot. OMG! That is even more great. He is as awesome a dad as he is gorgeous. WW broadening her fan base.

And they both have Wonder Woman costumes lol, but they wear them while holding Thor’s hammer haha 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

It's has a lot of really positive messages for them so props to him. Mine was/is obsessed with Brave which I feel has a lot of positive messages for younger girls/women. She has really taken to the Idea of her fate not being sealed which I'm thankful for.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's has a lot of really positive messages for them so props to him. Mine was/is obsessed with Brave which I feel has a lot of positive messages for younger girls/women. She has really taken to the Idea of her fate not being sealed which I'm thankful for.

My son isn’t really into superheroes yet. He likes them, but he is more into cartoon characters. He is still young, so he has time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Aww that’s so cute! 

Tell her “Hello” from Scotland then! 

Seeing all this fantastic buzz and the out of this world numbers for Endgame, I am wondering whether this movie can do 500 million, if it is well reviewed. I would love to see it own the summer.  I think it can increase 25% over the first one. But it needs to be well reviewed to really blow up. DC/Warner has been uneven with critics, but recently the trend has been heading in the right direction. I really think if DC/Warner play their cards right, this can be huge. 450-500 million kind of huge. It won’t have the low end opening week as the first movie had and should have a decent multiplier since it has a summer release (maybe 2.6 - 3.0). Super hero movies are here to stay! 

2 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

If Joker can be well reviewed, and Birds of Prey follows suit... this could have a shot at a $200 mil OW.

I actually think it will be more dependent on the reviews than those two movies that precede it. If it is well reviewed and marketed, I too think it will reach 180-200M. Why wouldn’t it, if those factors play out? She has a chance to own the summer.