kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

No it wouldn't. Once this virus scare is over things will go back to normal, eventually. with hopefully people a little more health conscious then before.

People have talked about how movie theaters have been struggling for the past several years. It’s not really a stretch to imagine that this pandemic could be the nail in the coffin. 

15 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the spread will have died down enough by may for theaters to reopen by June or July at the latest. they may only have to move by a few weeks/a month. or not at all. I don't see why they would officially postpone it so early when it is still over two months away. the spread in China has already died down greatly. and if this is the first blockbuster to be released. it does have the potentially to do even better then before.

You see a comment like this and it really makes you realize that most people don't have a clue about what is really going on and just how bad the current situation is. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, meridan said:

You see a comment like this and it really makes you realize that most people don't have a clue about what is really going on and just how bad the current situation is. 

I am aware the situation is bad. most of the nation is shut down. being optimistic is not the same as being stupid. and I don't like being accused of such. have a little faith people. even if the nation were to shut down for the dreaded 18 months.. guess what we would still recover. I don't believe it will be that long though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People have talked about how movie theaters have been struggling for the past several years. It’s not really a stretch to imagine that this pandemic could be the nail in the coffin. 

But. this is a completely unique situation. and that is just speculation at this point. remember we had our biggest film of all time last year. people will always want to get out and watch entertainment for an escape. I know I certainly will once this is over.

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

But. this is a completely unique situation. and that is just speculation at this point. remember we had our biggest film of all time last year. people will always want to get out and watch entertainment for an escape. I know I certainly will once this is over.

People will still have entertainment available at home. 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People will still have entertainment available at home. 

People have had entertainment at home for decades. they still go to the theater.

Just now, Kalo said:

People have had entertainment at home for decades.

But not to the extent that they do now. 

Believe me, I’d hate for movie theaters to just die out, but we can’t beat around the bush. Cinema was already in a difficult place with the advent of streaming and VoD, but now it has a worldwide pandemic to deal with. Things are not looking good. 

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

But not to the extent that they do now. 

Believe me, I’d hate for movie theaters to just die out, but we can’t beat around the bush. Cinema was already in a difficult place with the advent of streaming and VoD, but now it has a worldwide pandemic to deal with. Things are not looking good. 

We'll see.

19 hours ago, Kalo said:

No it wouldn't. Once this virus scare is over things will go back to normal, eventually. with hopefully people a little more health conscious then before.

If a movie studio can make massive profits going direct to VOD/streaming, what extra purpose would they have to put it in theaters anymore?

45 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If a movie studio can make massive profits going direct to VOD/streaming, what extra purpose would they have to put it in theaters anymore?

Likely make more with both than just one 

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

That a giant if, SVOD does not seem to make sense for high budget movie and if the window between VOD and SVOD become small it will be hard to ask for big amount on it.

But take the DVD peak era of 2006, when studio printed money from dvds, did they ever thought of not putting movies in theater ? What would they gain from not putting their movies in the theater ?

Theater is still the only pay by head model available (that could change soon with technology, but it will still be for a while) and putting your movie in theater tend to rise is status and it's VOD/streaming value.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Movie theaters are going to virtually be dead by the end of the 2020s, if not sooner. That’s my prediction.

This is gonna be worse than your Joker predictions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Movie theaters are going to virtually be dead by the end of the 2020s, if not sooner. That’s my prediction.

I already miss going to the cinema. 

For me, there's little that can compare in terms of experiencing a movie to being in a packed cinema for the opening weekend of a massive blockbuster. It's just far more entertaining than watching at home. And I'm willing to bet I'm not alone in this.

Not to mention that after weeks and weeks of social isolation (and no, it won't be 18 months - the world economy cannot handle everything being shut down for 18 months, not when so much of it is based on services), people will want to socialize - that includes cinemas. There will be reticence immediately after things reopen, but then there will be huge demand. Studios would be stupid not to see the opportunity in keeping some huge movies like Black Widow, WW84 or Mulan in reserve, ready to go ultra-wide once things settle.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, the death of superhero movies doesn't mean the death of movie theaters.

I wasn’t talking about the death of superhero movies. I was talking about how streaming and Video on Demand seem to be replacing cinema. It’s well documented that movie theaters have been struggling for a while now. 

Just now, cax16 said:

There will always be movie theatres, maybe not as many as before but that is all going to depend on how governments deal with this issue in each country. 

I’m not necessarily saying that there will be zero movie theaters before the end of the decade. Just that I think they probably won’t be an important money-making venture for studios anymore. 

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not necessarily saying that there will be zero movie theaters before the end of the decade. Just that I think they probably won’t be an important money-making venture for studios anymore. 

We’ll see in a few months but I don’t agree at this point.