kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

WB is smart. They know that WW2, if released in the summer will drop domestically like Raimi's SM2 because it really has done the best it could. Releasing it in December will lessen the chances of that happening as it will get those nice winter legs after opening to 120+.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They would be stupid to pit SW against WW, they would both lose out big time.

WW has claimed the date, everybody else has to work around it.

WB picked the date knowing the risk of SW9 being pushed back to December if it needed more time in post. 17 months between 8 and 9 is pretty short.

So this was not an empty date, but a date no one else had picked yet for good reason.

So no, SW9 will not be pitted against WW2. If 9 moves to December, WW2 will move to spring or summer. And something else will vacate out of that film's way.

36 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They would be stupid to pit SW against WW, they would both lose out big time.

WW has claimed the date, everybody else has to work around it.

Except that it really wouldn't be past Disney to bully other studios' films out of their desired dates. They've done it before, after all. And this being f'n Star Wars, no way would WB dare to leave WW2 in December if Disney feels like that's a better place for SW IX than May (it would probably be crucifying for both movies in a way, but especially so for WW2).

49 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

WB picked the date knowing the risk of SW9 being pushed back to December if it needed more time in post.

Or if Han Solo disappoints in its summer slot next year. Its performance could be what Disney is hinging its decision over when it comes to SW9's release date. 

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if WB is deliberately forcing Disney to play its hand early here. The Valentine's Day date in 2020 has also been reserved for a DCEU project, a slot that could be equally perfect for WW2, so it has that to fall back on. If SW9 moves to December, it frees up Memorial Day Weekend or the first weekend of June 2019 for another DCEU film (one of Batgirl, Batman and SS2 IMO). The sooner the move is announced, the better to snatch up the vacated date. So... win-win? 

Your turn, House of Mouse.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

I still don't know why Disney intents to release an Avengers movie AND a Star Wars movie in May in 2018 and 2019, which would likely end up hurting both movies?

Keeping SW in December seems like the safe thing to do.

What is Disney trying to do here?

Edited by Mojoguy

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I still don't know why Disney intents to release an Avengers movie AND a Star Wars movie in May in 2018 and 2019, which would likely end up hurting both movies?

They are confident enough in their products that they believe both movies can survive. Probably trying to bring in more money in their second quarter as well. They are also doing more live action adaptations now which have been successful. Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book made a ton of money.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

So this was the "event" film WB was talking about. I was so sure it was SHERLOCK HOLMES III. lol

I'm betting that this is actually the "Untitled DC Film" that was scheduled for November, and they've flipped dates knowing that they are going to distribute the next BOND. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I'm betting that this is actually the "Untitled DC Film" that was scheduled for November, and they've flipped dates knowing that they are going to distribute the next BOND. 

Wait, is WB distributing BOND now?

33 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Wait, is WB distributing BOND now?

Speculation, but Warners seems the rumored most likely candidate, at this point...at least for this next one.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Honestly I don't see those happening anytime soon

Still. A sequel to Wonder Woman before fucking Batman of all characters gets another solo. What planet am I living on?

Batman can still take that June date but I think Reeves will take his time.

Still. A sequel to Wonder Woman before fucking Batman of all characters gets another solo. What planet am I living on?

Don't worry Batman will always get movies.

He is the GODDAMN Batman.
sadben.png
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Still. A sequel to Wonder Woman before fucking Batman of all characters gets another solo. What planet am I living on?

A planet in which WB FINALLY realizes the treasure trove of comic book characters with amazing box office potential on which they were sitting (beyond Superman and Batman). :D 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

IW and Han Solo will be fine (since tbh Han Solo is likely going to do sub $400M due to competition and IW, although I see $450M will be frontloaded as hell), it's IW2 and IX that'll eat into each other's grosses even with double features.

It's probably good to just sit on a Batman solo film a little longer. The character just had a trilogy not too long ago etc.... I think it's smart to keep him as a "secondary" character (even though he's not). Think 2020 seems about right for THE BATMAN.