kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

11 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

I always love when MCU and DC actors support each other. Class act! :bravo:

Re: love interests. I thought that the fight was to get women out of playing only thankless love interest roles, not to ban female leads from having love interests. Steve Trevor worked wonderfully in WW cause it was integral for the story while CM worked well without a love interest cause that wasn't the story.  So different stories require different approach, some require romance, other don't. Acting like something is wrong with romance itself is bad hot take as many already said. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Imagine living in a world in which little girls and little boys (or girls) of color can also look up at a movie poster in which they see themselves and engage in wish fulfillment as powerful female superheroes/superheroes of color. Imagine living in a world in which slowly but surely, superhero blockbusters about all kinds of people are becoming a reality. Not everyone may see it now, but the box office and critical triumph of Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel are soooo important and so worthy of examining. These three films are not just three more CBM hits, but a genuine instance of films that have changed the game. Hopefully, Birds of Prey, Chang-Shi, The Eternals [and if I have my wish, Vixen and A-Force] will continue cementing the financial and artistic feasibility of superhero blockbusters starring people who are not male, hetero, or white.

And hopefully, Wonder Woman 1984 will build on Wonder Woman's box office and quality to become one of 2020's best loved box office behemoths.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1

No one would be saying Steve Trevor is important if he and Gal didn't have fantastic chemistry. Chris Pine 100% made that character more than he had any right to be. So no, I really really don't hope there is a Steve Trevor in every single Wonder Woman movie because Chris Pine probably won't be playing Steve Trevor in every one. Steve Trevor, as a character, is not essential for Wonder Woman's character. Having him in the Wonder Woman movie worked because of how that story is told and because Patty Jenkins wanted Diana to have someone she could lean on. That doesn't mean that Wonder Woman, herself, needs Steve Trevor. Nor does it mean that Steve Trevor is essential to her character. 

So yea I 100% see @captainwondyful point in that Diana doesn't need a Steve Trevor.

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I completely disagree. Steve Trevor was and is Diana's tether to the mortal world. She was infuriated with men and the willing choices they make to destroy each other without regard to collateral damage around them. Her love for him gave her the strength to defeat Ares. 

Steve Trevor does not necessarily define Wonder Woman in the movie but he absolutely shapes her in an incredibly significant way. Rather that love is to a male or a female is immaterial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

See, it doesn't matter what we think: in the end, Lois Lane has been in every single Superman movie that started every new generation's series of Superman films, and so will Steve Trevor be in every Wonder Woman film that starts every new iteration of cinematic WW stories; you can bet your bottom dollar it will happen. No, he is not "essential" to her character, just like Lois is not essential to Superman, but as long as movie studios bank on superheroes being humanized by their love stories and their interactions with a human 'avatar', there will be room in our screens for Diana's and Clark's classic love interests: and their names are Lois Lane and Steve Trevor, whether we like them or not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

See, it doesn't matter what we think: in the end, Lois Lane has been in every single Superman movie that started every new generation's series of Superman films, and so will Steve Trevor be in every Wonder Woman film that starts every new iteration of cinematic WW stories; you can bet your bottom dollar it will happen. No, he is not "essential" to her character, just like Lois is not essential to Superman, but as long as movie studios bank on superheroes being humanized by their love stories and their interactions with a human 'avatar', there will be room in our screens for Diana's and Clark's classic love interests: and their names are Lois Lane and Steve Trevor, whether we like them or not. 

I mean from an equality standpoint having the male play the vulnerable support role who is ultimately sacrificed to shape and develop the main character, a female speaks to equality (imo at least to me). It also teaches men that roles like that are good not bad as previously characterized in the past.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Plus it was nice to have a hot guy as the love interest eye candy for once. 

Chris Pine is so hot in that film. 

Exactly! Not only was he smoking, but he was tough, sensitive and principled. And he fell in love with her, but wasn’t dominated by her. Remember the scene when she knocks out the bell tower? When she doesn’t emerge quickly, he falls to his knees in what appears to be agony and the chief pats him on the shoulder. Diana, then appears and everyone claps. Little scenes like that show so much about their relationship. 

He was definitely WW’s Lois Lane. So whoever made that analogy was spot on. Superman doesn’t need Lois Lane, he is an all powerful godlike entity; but she helps to humanize him. Likewise, WW doesn’t need Steve Trevor, she is an immortal Demi-goddess, but he anchors her to mankind and its struggles. Through him, she saw the dichotomy of mankind- capable of good and evil. That is why she was able to more easily reject Ares’ philosophy when she was tempted by her anger to destroy the woman she saw as being responsible for Steve’s death.

Now, that clip of Chris Hemsworth was really nice to see. There are many little girls like his daughters. WW has mesmerized and influenced another generation. Captain Marvel will be around for a long time too now. She will soon have the crown for highest grossing female superhero film, but I would be surprised if WW didn’t reclaim that crown in 2020.  

• Like 4

I’m gonna agree to disagree with every single one of you. Diana didn’t need Steve Trevor and I don’t think Clark needs Louise Lane. I don’t need super heroes like Wonder Woman and Superman to be humanized because the reality is that they’re not human. That doesn’t mean they can’t portray similar feelings as humans do. I mean long before Steve Trevor showed up, Diana showed compassion and caring for the human race. It was her that made the decision to embark on saving humanity from Ares. And if I’m not mistaken, along the way, Steve Trevor pretty much made fun or didn’t believe Diana in her quest for Ares.....to the point where at the end of the film she even began doubting whether he existed at all. Super heroes can be connected to the human race and display a lot of humanistic qualities without needing a love interest/romantic relationship. Love comes in all forms. Needing a boyfriend or girlfriend is not necessary. 

• Thanks 1

*Whispers* Captain Marvel didn't have a love interest and she turned out fine. 

*Note: no one is saying these characters shouldn't have any relationships period. That would be an absurd thing to say. What I am saying is that a love interest is not necessary for these characters. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

*Whispers* Captain Marvel didn't have a love interest and she turned out fine. 

*Note: no one is saying these characters shouldn't have any relationships period. That would be an absurd thing to say. What I am saying is that a love interest is not necessary for these characters. 

Captain Marvel wasn't and isn't a god nor was love a focal point of her character's development. The majority of her male experiences were negative and frankly I'm not sure how much sense it would have made. A love interest for Diana directly contributed to the final act of the film and tied everything together. Sure they could have written something entirely different but that point is useless. 

Edited by cdsacken

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m gonna agree to disagree with every single one of you. Diana didn’t need Steve Trevor and I don’t think Clark needs Louise Lane. I don’t need super heroes like Wonder Woman and Superman to be humanized because the reality is that they’re not human. That doesn’t mean they can’t portray similar feelings as humans do. I mean long before Steve Trevor showed up, Diana showed compassion and caring for the human race. It was her that made the decision to embark on saving humanity from Ares. And if I’m not mistaken, along the way, Steve Trevor pretty much made fun or didn’t believe Diana in her quest for Ares.....to the point where at the end of the film she even began doubting whether he existed at all. Super heroes can be connected to the human race and display a lot of humanistic qualities without needing a love interest/romantic relationship. Love comes in all forms. Needing a boyfriend or girlfriend is not necessary. 

Of course, Diana doesn’t need Steve and Clark doesn’t need Lois. However, the best movies/artistic pieces are the ones where human beings (general audience) can relate to the character- whether that be through love or some other emotional connective tissue. Steve and Lois are conduits that allow us to connect to the super beings on screen. When Superman turns back time in defiance of Jor-El to bring Lois back, who didn’t feel his anguish? Emotions elevate art and movie making. You bring up Captain Marvel and I am not taking anything from it, as it is a good movie, but I just do not put it in league with: Superman the movie, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, The Dark Knight, Spider-man and Spider-man 2. In the first Spider-man movie, the connection was to Uncle Ben. In the second, it was to MJ. But unlike WW and Superman, Spider-Man and Batman are already human. They just experienced either a trauma or an extraordinary event that led them to become super heroes. That in and of itself can make the audience take the journey with them. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean long before Steve Trevor showed up, Diana showed compassion and caring for the human race. It was her that made the decision to embark on saving humanity from Ares. And if I’m not mistaken, along the way, Steve Trevor pretty much made fun or didn’t believe Diana in her quest for Ares.....to the point where at the end of the film she even began doubting whether he existed at all

That was framed as her not wanting to be held back by her mom any longer, especially with her aunt now dead and thinking Ares is the be all and end all...pretty standard princess/pixar tropes.