kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

You would think with the huge OS success of CM that this would stand a better chance OS this time. But who knows. Could pull GotG2

I don’t think CM matters to much to this movie breaking out more overseas. It seems like at this time audiences just take it movie by movie, especially when it isn’t marvel. Aquaman did massive numbers overseas while Shazam did very mediocre business. 

I just think it has a pretty good shot it increasing overseas cause the first one only did 409m, I think it could have a shot at 500m or more depending on reactions to the movie.

I hope expectations stay modest. Part of the really special part of the first movie’s run was that it kept exceeding expectations. I think some here may be underestimating how much the character is loved. She is a symbol of femininity and female empowerment/strength. But hey, I could be wrong. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Based on the buzz this far out just for that poster, I'm starting to wonder if this could jump even higher than 500 DOM with the right marketing and quality? #1 of the year should certainly be its to lose. 

I agree. Made a club, my first ever. 

17 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I hope expectations stay modest. Part of the really special part of the first movie’s run was that it kept exceeding expectations. I think some here may be underestimating how much the character is loved. She is a symbol of femininity and female empowerment/strength. But hey, I could be wrong. We shall see. 

I’m only hoping it does a bit more overseas, I’m content with whatever it does as long as the movie is good. I don’t know if increasing domestically is a reality but I do expect a larger opening weekend domestically. 

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I don’t think CM matters to much to this movie breaking out more overseas. It seems like at this time audiences just take it movie by movie, especially when it isn’t marvel. Aquaman did massive numbers overseas while Shazam did very mediocre business. 

If this movie is an 80s-fest, and is full of 80's nostalgia, that may have a slightly harder time translating overseas. Though recently I think both Captain Marvel and Bumblebee managed to set their movies in the 80s and 90s versions of the United States just fine, without making it seem too alien or unfamiliar to an overseas general audience. We'll just have to wait and see what the tone of the movie is. The fact that the year is actually in the title of the movie might mean that it'll be a bit more era-specific than those other two, but obviously the movie is nowhere near complete yet, so they'll still have to figure out what works best in the editing bay.

50 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

low end

110 OW

370 Dom

750 WW

I don't see how WW1984 can possibly hit 110 OW unless the buzz becomes universally bad between now and next June.  And even then I think my rock-bottom floor might be around 130m OW.  And that's with a lot of bad buzz.

The first movie did a 4 bleeping x in the year of our Shawn, 2017.  And not a 4x off a small OW either.

There's going to be an element of fan-rush to this, even if the buzz inexplicably turns bad between now and then.  

Curious to see how you get 110m OW as a low end scenario.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't see how WW1984 can possibly hit 110 OW unless the buzz becomes universally bad between now and next June.  And even then I think my rock-bottom floor might be around 130m OW.  And that's with a lot of bad buzz.

The first movie did a 4 bleeping x in the year of our Shawn, 2017.  And not a 4x off a small OW either.

There's going to be an element of fan-rush to this, even if the buzz inexplicably turns bad between now and then.  

Curious to see how you get 110m OW as a low end scenario.

Maybe his low-end, worst case scenario is if there's some huge economic downturn or a recession during that time period? Otherwise I agree; can't see it opening that low.

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Maybe his low-end, worst case scenario is if there's some huge economic downturn or a recession during that time period? Otherwise I agree; can't see it opening that low.

Except, as I look at it again, he had 110/370.  That's pretty good legs.

Which is just... odd to me.  Sorry, @AnDr3s. :)  I just can't see a possibility where WW1984 opens so low AND has that good of a run.  Well, I can't see it opening so low in the first place, but that's a side issue. :lol:

A lot of people who didn't see the first movie in cinemas have since seen it on TV and loved it.

I think the first trailer could go massive and I wouldn't be surprised to see $1bn mark broken through.

12 minutes ago, AndyK said:

people who didn't see the first movie in cinemas have since seen it on TV and loved it.

This is very true.

My family once caught it on tv and they're not even into superhero movies but very much the movie. Its mostly has to do with Gal Gadot in it i think..