kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

The recent Microsoft promo says it all: "Coming to Theaters..."

I'm betting this next goes to next spring or summer. 

I hope not. 

I’ve noticed the sponsorships and marketing tie-ins have started: Microsoft, Revlon, Venus Williams, Alex & Ani and Doritos all just within the last week. 

That could suggest that its not moving to next year. 

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I hope not. 

I’ve noticed the sponsorships and marketing tie-ins have started: Microsoft, Revlon, Venus Williams, Alex & Ani and Doritos all just within the last week. 

That could suggest that its not moving to next year. 

Even if Tenet does really bad? Although I understand it has been delayed for almost a whole year.

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Really bad where? 

Focus seems to be international with the US an afterthought 

I think one thing both WB and us here have to be aware is expected split. Tenet was always going to be a heavy OS split. The first WW was a domestic behemoth but, for a superhero movie, so-so internationally. Will lack of competition and it being the first proper superhero movie in ages be enough to raise its OS appeal? Or will people that don't necessarily want to go out to the cinema in these circumstances decide WW isn't the one to push them out, since they never had much interest in the first place. 

Will WB feel like it would be missing out on too much if it can't properly play domestically (I.e. an expected pre-covid box office of 400 million vs a 200 million for Tenet)? 

A great performance from Tenet will certainly encourage them and a so-so result will not necessarily put them off, but if it's an outright disaster, I don't think they're opening WW84 this year. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Could see this moving to Thanksgiving to see if they could scare Bond away. Though that wouldn't happen until we get a taste of what box office in the COVID era looks like in a few weeks. Maybe they'll announce a new date at DC FanDome next weekend.

Thing is, if everyone is still counting on international over domestic, Bond is bigger and won't be scared off. 

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Thing is, if everyone is still counting on international over domestic, Bond is bigger and won't be scared off. 

Probably. They've already spent a ton on marketing for this so I imagine they're gonna stick with early October for as long as possible.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, Krissykins said:

.... Inception did a total of $500m internationally, without Covid. Tenet is a limited release in the US. 

I’m sure they’ll have their expectations in check. Expecting it to make $500m, with Covid and no US, is just silly

And expecting Tenet to match or beat Inception internationally, especially with a big China result, would have been reasonable before Covid. If they're not expecting 400-500 we for this, then everyone at WB needs to be fired for sheer incompetence. 

This is a business they're running, so a smuch a sthey may say they wanna save the theatrical experience, they still must have an expectation of reasonable success to green light a release now. Even saying Nolan is pushing for this year is bs - he's a reasonable man and if he sees that this movie flopping would result in him not getting as much leeway in the future then he'd be OK with a delay. 

They have to have a definite line they can draw and say yeah, this is ok, and 400 million worldwide, assuming a better revenue split than usual, would probably be it (especially if a third or more of that comes from China). 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably. They've already spent a ton on marketing for this so I imagine they're gonna stick with early October for as long as possible.

If they delay it, I think it's gon a be to 2021, as a result of Tenet outright imploding or everything going back into lockdown. Otherwise, ya, Oct... 

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

. If they're not expecting 400-500 we for this, then everyone at WB needs to be fired for sheer incompetence. 

400-500 is wishful thinking. Realistically, i can't see Tenet making over 300M. US is dead and in plenty of countries in Europe and the rest of the world cinemas are closed. The open ones, people will be afraid to attend. There's a lot of pressure on Nolan/Tenet, but it's crazy to think it will achieve these insane high numbers

Edited by Maggie
  • ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

he's a reasonable man and if he sees that this movie flopping would result in him not getting as much leeway in the future then he'd be OK with a delay. 

He's smart enough to know that this flopping won't do any damage to his career. He's WB's most consistent brand. They need him more than he needs them. They gave Snyder the keys to DC after he made three flops in a row so I doubt they're gonna do much when Tenet flops.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I can see this moving to december if Tenet bomb too hard.

If they want to move WW84 after Tenet bomb, i think they'll go directly to next year. December doesn't make sense. The corona will be worse in the winter. That is if we don't have a vaccine by then

I just read an interview with the head of Warp Speed about the vaccine and he says

A widely available shot should be here between April and June 2021.  Slaoui said he anticipates that the US can return to normal in the second half of 2021 —

https://www.businessinsider.com/moncef-slaoui-interview-on-operation-warp-speed-coronavirus-vaccine-2020-8

So WW84 should move to the second half of next year