kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

On 8/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, reddevil19 said:

Unless Tenet blows expectations away and does at least 500 million worldwide, I don't think WB will even entertain the notion of keeping WW84 in Oct. Nor should they at this point.

I dont think WB will risk this if TENET does only 500mn. I mean this film unlike TENET is very heavily reliant on Domestic box office, which if TENET does only 500mn, is likely to be under or around 100mn. They will wait.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I dont think WB will risk this if TENET does only 500mn. I mean this film unlike TENET is very heavily reliant on Domestic box office, which if TENET does only 500mn, is likely to be under or around 100mn. They will wait.

Agreed:

On 8/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, reddevil19 said:

I think one thing both WB and us here have to be aware is expected split. Tenet was always going to be a heavy OS split. The first WW was a domestic behemoth but, for a superhero movie, so-so internationally. Will lack of competition and it being the first proper superhero movie in ages be enough to raise its OS appeal? Or will people that don't necessarily want to go out to the cinema in these circumstances decide WW isn't the one to push them out, since they never had much interest in the first place. 

Will WB feel like it would be missing out on too much if it can't properly play domestically (I.e. an expected pre-covid box office of 400 million vs a 200 million for Tenet)? 

A great performance from Tenet will certainly encourage them and a so-so result will not necessarily put them off, but if it's an outright disaster, I don't think they're opening WW84 this year. 

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

what's wrong with Gal Gadot's voice in tv spot? It sounds like she lost her voice or something.

I think it was a funny voiced "yep".

Not understanding what Steve said though about his garb, did they call it a "parachute" ?

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

i think it depends lets not forget that tenet at least at first wont be able to open in many states in the us, especially some major ones , and not alll the theaters will be open, maybe by the time tenet plays in us around 2500-3000 theaters could be open, wonder woman however if all goes well, it may be able to play in around 3500-4000 theaters with new york and maybe california open, and maybe a little bigger capacity, so really we cant say, last thing is lets see how tenet will do in all states , 

edit if by the time oct comes around 4000 theaters are open, again if all goes well, that would be a fantastic number as most blockbusters play in around 4200-4500 theaters anyways

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

i think it depends lets not forget that tenet at least at first wont be able to open in many states in the us, especially some major ones , and not alll the theaters will be open, maybe by the time tenet plays in us around 2500-3000 theaters could be open, wonder woman however if all goes well, it may be able to play in around 3500-4000 theaters with new york and maybe california open, and maybe a little bigger capacity, so really we cant say, last thing is lets see how tenet will do in all states , 

edit if by the time oct comes around 4000 theaters are open, again if all goes well, that would be a fantastic number as most blockbusters play in around 4200-4500 theaters anyways

The Theatres will be at half capacity though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

lol.

As with all pre-release PR for blockbusters, the more accurate quote would be

"we made sure to film most everything with practical effects... that we used as reference footage for the 1,500 VFX shots we ended up creating in post". 

Yeah it doesn't usually end up showing on film when someone says that. But I'm hoping since they went through so much effort shooting sequences on 70MM IMAX that they are putting extra effort in. Even if it's just more wirework as opposed to CG doubles, or more location shooting. That little extra something that makes it feel tangible as opposed to a CG fest. 

‘Wonder Woman 1984’: Great Action, Big Amazon Sets, And A Little Trump

We are less than 48 hours from the start of DC FanDome, Warners-DC’s 24 hour virtual superhero event. Patty Jenkins’ superhero sequel Wonder Woman 1984 staring Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, and Pedro Pascal kicks off DCFanDome on Saturday morning at 10am PT, 1pm ET. I had the pleasure of visiting the set during filming, and it was a spectacular experience.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Warner loves their practical sets, and they’ve knocked it out of the park again with Wonder Woman 1984. It was great fun watching Princess Diana kick a whole lot of butts during a crucial fight sequence on a detailed replica set of the White House. Patty Jenkins’ eye for detail and the hard work of the cast and crew were on full display, taking time to meticulously review the footage and shoot again to get everything exactly right.

Wonder Woman makes short work of several Secret Service agents — and nearby walls and vases — on her way to her main target: Max Lord, a flamboyantly irresponsible, corrupt, absurdly coifed billionaire who serves as the embodiment of pop-culture camp, selfishness, and greed of the 80s era. Sound familiar? It should.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

While the film is not a just a dissertation on today’s politics, it’s intentionally relevant and speaks to how far we’ve come in some respects, and how little we’ve changed in others. The danger of a crooked figurehead who promises all of our worst and most self-serving impulses are rewarded, and the inevitable price of having our own selfishness fulfilled at the expense of others (to whom we are the “other” sacrificed in their own selfish calculations), are relevant to any era, of course, but there’s no point denying the obvious parallels to Trump and our current social/political/global crisis.

Wonder Woman is a hero who represents the best in us, our highest ideals and purest inspirations, but also our vulnerabilities when those ideals fall short or when we feel the best interests of one person conflict with the best interests of another — including, it turns out, our own selves (be it on either side of that equation). She faces a moral dilemma challenging her very sense of self and her conception of love as a saving grace for humanity, and asking the question, “What if you really could give the world everything it says it wants and thinks it needs?”

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Looking over the sources of inspiration for designs, costumes, characters, and other aspects of the film, it was clear the team did a deep dive into all things 80s, with particular focus on the glam, the extremes, and the public obsession with the lifestyles of the mega-rich and famous. Having lived through that era, I can attest to the fact the film takes all the right influences. The tone of the production design is perfectly on point. But what I most want to talk about here is the Amazons, and their island of Themyscira.

Remember when I mentioned practical sets? One of the most impressive practical sets I’ve ever seen was built for Wonder Woman 1984, and when we went outside to walk around the massive space I was immediately in awe not just of how it looked in person, but how incredible it will look on screen.

It’s for an Olympic sequence, and it features huge pillars and dangerous obstacles inside an arena where the inhabitants of Themyscira cheer their favorite warriors to victory. We will of course get to witness a young Diana’s own performance in the arena, as portrayed by Lilly Aspell (who reprises her role from the first film).

When you see it, you might think it’s all CGI — and some of it will certainly be filled in with visual effects — but it’s not, it’s a massive outdoor stadium set and those Amazonian warriors are really running and jumping on precisely what they appear to be running and jumping on, as high and dangerous as it appears. Standing there, staring up at it, I couldn’t wait to see it on the big screen with the cast in action.

This backstory and world-building makes Wonder Woman’s life and family — her own personal world — every bit as important and interesting as the superhero world and events of her adult life. Themyscila is perfectly set up to explore in far greater detail, including with the already-announced Amazons spinoff film project, and hopefully also eventual HBO Max series.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Jenkins’ enthusiasm for the character and her world, and for rendering it in such grand scale with so many practical effects and sets, makes Wonder Woman 1984 an epic of proportions to which few other films of the genre aspire (let alone achieve). Spanning different decades and demonstrating how Diana has evolved and her perceptions of our world have changed across a century, the themes will be as impressive in scope as the sets and action. Humanity’s worthiness, and whether love and hope can truly save this world, are called into question as the excesses pile up and Diana herself is tempted to give in. It’s every bit as character-defining as the story in the first Wonder Woman, in a world more recognizable to us today.

Those themes also apply to Steve Trevor, a man who saw what he thought was humanity at its worst in World War I, who gave his life for a future in which he had faith people could overcome their worst impulses and aspire to something far greater. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the 1980s’ culture drowning in money, power, and indulgence.

I’m always reluctant to say too much or give away my suspicions and certain accidental revelations, so I will stop there for now and plan to talk more about the film, the making of the film, and what it has in store for us in my upcoming coverage of DC FanDome. With just six weeks to go, we will also see what new surprises and secrets are revealed by the studio leading up to the planned release — perhaps including an eventual VOD release announcement, if theater re-openings don’t pan out (as I believe will be the case).

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Stay tuned and check this space all weekend for news about DC FanDome, including updates on Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, The Flash, Zack Snyder’s Justice League, The Batman, and much more.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2020/08/21/wonder-woman-1984-great-action-big-amazon-sets-and-a-little-trump/#176512985f3c

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1