kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

4 hours ago, tree said:

Most people have no particular desire to just watch "more" of a movie. There is not a flying monkeys chance that the final theatrical cut of WW84 gets scenes that the filmmakers don't think work well in the movie.

That's not what I'm saying.  Jenkins obviously would approve what's there/what she thinks "works" regardless of the edit, but there can be different cuts that work in different ways.  Anyway, even if this happened, we likely wouldn't hear about it for years...

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

My guess is they'll delay it too considering WW84 would need to rely on the Domestic Market more.

Surely considering Tenet might not get the chance to open in big parts of California and NY until mid-September at the earliest, WB wouldn’t want to cut off its legs by releasing WW84 a couple of weeks later. I’m betting this gets pushed to the thanksgiving date that they accidentally included on those release date announcement marquee photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

My guess is they'll delay it too considering WW84 would need to rely on the Domestic Market more.

See below

11 hours ago, cax16 said:

I was saying before covid that I thought the split for this next movie would be different. I expect bigger international numbers this time around, we’ll see if I’m right( it doesn’t happen often). 

Yeh, let’s not forget international growth from audiences who discovered the film in the home market. 

2hr31m is quite long for some films, but I’m not complaining if it’s WW. 

Seems to be sticking...for now.

What is the thinking on Wonder Woman 1984, which is due out in mid-October? Will you you move it to the Dune slot in December?

We are still figuring out the strategy for all of our movies. We have quite a lot done. Obviously, Wonder Woman 1984 is up next. For now, it is where it is. Like I said earlier, certain movies deserve to be on the big screen. My belief is Wonder Woman is one of those.

Big interview with WB CEO Ann Sarnoff here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-ceo-talks-batman-filming-halt-tenet-theatrical-release-amid-covid-19

3 minutes ago, Safeno Rdz said:

It's only 4 weeks for the release date, so if they're delaying they should be announcing it soon...

My guess is we get a delay announced by Friday. WB will have enough insight into Tenet advance bookings to extrapolate the second weekend.

• Like 1

Yeah, while Tenet is doing good by the standards of the, what, two other movies that have been released since reopening, it's pretty clear that the market just isn't there for any kind of big release in theaters right now. It's possible WB could take the bet that it'll change by October but with no other big releases between Tenet and WW to test if that's the case they'll opt to push it back.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

Why should they push this film to December? Even if the infection rate gets better in the next weeks, it will probably be up again in the winter due to cold weather. They should either wait till next year, when maybe there's a vaccine, or keep the release in October and have a reduced, overseas-heavy box office.

They have two options if they are keeping it in 2020 - either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I'm not sure if they'd want to open against Bond and a couple of weeks removed from Black Widow. Christmas makes more sense but it will fuck up Dune's release strategy.

2 hours ago, TLK said:

They have two options if they are keeping it in 2020 - either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I'm not sure if they'd want to open against Bond and a couple of weeks removed from Black Widow. Christmas makes more sense but it will fuck up Dune's release strategy.

My gut feeling is that they're more willing to move WW84 possibly to next year to ensure success than they are DUNE.  They are already heavily invested in/committed to WW as a multi-tiered franchise.  I'm sure they would love for DUNE to become a similar success across platforms (no one spends $200 mil for nothing), but ultimately the current climate may be against them.  DUNE just seems damned eternally. 😂  But we'll see...

No question. This moves. Tenet's OW is more like $10M. WW84 would probably make $20-$30M OW if it's lucky and more markets are open. Anyway, they might wait a couple of weeks before the announcement, but the biggest tell of a move will be a lack of advertising which I am sure at this point WB is stopping altogether.