kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

"Shazam" did not take  itself that seriously for most of the film, but that is not the same as camp.

I really liked Shazam. And for all the humor in the film the "reunion" scene between Billy and his Mother was one of the most touching..and well written scenes I have seen all year.

There was certainly a lot of campy, Sam Raimi-esque stuff in it especially to do with the villain.

3 hours ago, Wonder89 said:

Monster 2003

Wonder Woman 2017

If she was a great filmaker where she was between 2003 and 2017? She just need to follow the WW formula, but I think after WW she lost his humility

She was working. At one point she was the director for Thor: The Dark World, but Kevin Feige fired her and pissed off Natalie Portman in the process. Something that wasn't healed until Taika Waititi brought her back. Besides that, she's done a lot of well regarded TV work, including the pilot episode of The Killing.

If you want a reason she wasn't doing feature work, sexism in the industry is probably a big culprit. Women in Hollywood were rarely given second chances for even slight mistakes, even if they're massively successful (see Catherine Hardwick getting ousted from Twilight) while men are given chances time and again. Jenkins got pregnant at one point which is a big career derailment (See Joss Whedon's treatment of Charisma Carpenter after her pregnancy).

Working in movies is a hustle. Every is a self-employed contractor and all the work they do isn't on their IMDB page. For everything we know that Jenkins (or anyone else) has worked on, there's probably a few things that didn't pan out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

She was working. At one point she was the director for Thor: The Dark World, but Kevin Feige fired her and pissed off Natalie Portman in the process. Something that wasn't healed until Taika Waititi brought her back. Besides that, she's done a lot of well regarded TV work, including the pilot episode of The Killing.

If you want a reason she wasn't doing feature work, sexism in the industry is probably a big culprit. Women in Hollywood were rarely given second chances for even slight mistakes, even if they're massively successful (see Catherine Hardwick getting ousted from Twilight) while men are given chances time and again. Jenkins got pregnant at one point which is a big career derailment (See Joss Whedon's treatment of Charisma Carpenter after her pregnancy).

Working in movies is a hustle. Every is a self-employed contractor and all the work they do isn't on their IMDB page. For everything we know that Jenkins (or anyone else) has worked on, there's probably a few things that didn't pan out.

Considering how TDW turned out, Marvel probably made a mistake by firing Patty Jenkins. Not a massive mistake, mind you, but a mistake regardless.  

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I say “probably” because I’m not sure how much say the director has in Marvel movies, especially during the Ike Perlmutter era. 

They have about 5 or 6 fewer people they get notes from post-Perlmutter, at the very least. Don't remember how many were on the so-called Creative Committee, but they had a say, along with Perlmutter. I also think only 2 of them were actually creatives, but not in film. The others were toy people.

Edited by Orestes

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I say “probably” because I’m not sure how much say the director has in Marvel movies, especially during the Ike Perlmutter era. 

Stylistically, they apparently had a lot of say. The early MCU films, even into early Phase 2, were pretty distinct. Thor feels like a Branagh film. CATFA a Johnston film. Avengers is clearly Whedon, even down to the "hey, I'm used to shooting on TV" look to it. And IM3 is about as Shane Black as you can Shane Black anything. There definitely was a period in the middle where everything felt very same-y, which seems to be less of the case, now (though the Russos continue to churn out mayonnaise on wonder bread as far as style is concerned). TDW might be lumped into that middle period.

Would that have been the case under Jenkins? Who knows, but really, it was mostly definitely a mistake because it pissed off the lead actress enough that she had nothing to do with the franchise for six years. Praise Waititi for fixing that fuckup.

Meanwhile Jenkins basically single-handedly saved the DC films from wallowing in the cesspit of internet debate.

It sounds fine honestly. Kinda dumb plot but it would work if the movie doesn't take itself seriously (which it doesn't seem to). I mean the comic Con screenings from a year ago said that it looks nothing like the first film either. The only thing that they probably needs to change is the runtime.