kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

May i point out that The Mummy 2017 first trailer has more views and likes than Wonder Woman 2017? We know how that ended up.

Was that the trailer that went viral because of the fucked up sound, and not because of actual interest in the film?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Wonder Woman had no hype....  how quickly we forget.   People on here were expecting maybe $75M OW and some thought even less.  $100M was the absolute best possible scenario and then it ended up doing a shade over that which everyone thought was a huge win for it.  

Nobody expected what was to come.  Why?  Again.. because there was no hype at all.  WB was already shifting gears in the DCEU,  Snyder appeared to be on the way out,  all those stories were out there.  

In a way,  Wonder Woman saved WB and DC and started the run they are on now.   Also,  what competition is this even going to have?  BW is out a month prior and I can tell you right now Fast & Furious 9 has no hype domestically.   Sadly,  it's a fading franchise here in the states. 

Mulan,  BW and No Time to Die all come out back to back to back well before WW84 is in theaters.   Is Top Gun going to set the world on fire? 

No "In A Way" about it. WW saved the DCU from having to go back to square one...again.. If WW had been another "Green Lantern"  the double whammy of both WW and JL flopping would have put the DCU in a really bad situation, two big films in production in a failed franchise. "Aquaman" would really have been in bad shape because people would have thought the DCU could not do anything right.

54 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

Won't make 30 million views, at least not without a bump after the movie coming out.

Right now I wonder if it will even pass BoP's 19 million.

Not saying it will correlate at all with box office but it is surprising to me that it's getting less views than the first movie's trailers had (and 30 million in 2017 was much better than 30 million in 2019). I don't think anyone can deny it's strange.

Ahhh, WW (origin) has 30 million views after three years- as in right now. That was the point I was making. In essence, trailer views didn’t seem to be as important a metric for WW. 

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

Social media means nearly nothing.   NBA for example dwarfs NFL in a lot of areas but it does not correlate to popularity.  NBA has a lot of younger viewers that stir discussion.  

In music there are artists that have millions of followers and can't sell 20,000 albums in a week.   

Is the NFL still the top sport in the United States? The last Super Bowl had fairly low ratings. Then again, that might have something to do with how painfully boring it was. 

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is the NFL still the top sport in the United States? The last Super Bowl had fairly low ratings. Then again, that might have something to do with how painfully boring it was. 

Yes it's still #1 and it's not even close.  For months the NBA dominated social media discussion with all the trades and free agency moves with popular players and the NFL was barely discussed on social media and talk shows. 

Fast-forward to the actual games and the NBA ratings are down 20% and the NFL ratings are doing very well.  It's another example of why you can't rely on social media metrics. 

This ties into WW84 because I think you'll see that once the actual movie comes out and it's June and there's little competition,  the butts will be in the seats and nobody is going to be concerned about teaser trailers views.  

54 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Was you alive in the 80's ?

Max Lord style adverts in the US were pretty commonplace.

Yeah, sure, I'm not doubting that. It's other things in the trailer that make me think this will lean into camp, a lot of it to do with the action as well (using the tiara, for example). And, of course, the smirky villain risks coming across as a caricature of the era Wall Street "villain". On top of that, the fairly obvious Trump coding might lean into camp in order to not be categorised as overly political... 

As I said, campy and cheesy aren't necessarily bad, it will be down to execution. 

And to be honest, after we've had quite a few serious, dark comicbook movies, we may be reaching the point where going full circle back into camp - provided it's executed well enough to balance that self-aware camp with a few more serious character beats and emotional moments, most importantly maintaining the earnestness of the character as shown in the first movie - may be embraced. 

Fantastic and epic trailer.

Pretty funny how the last scene when she is riding on lightnings is the most commented and acclaimed scene of the trailer but it also was the most bashed scene on that leaked screening reactions lol

And lol about the number of views discussion. The first trailer of the first film has only 29 million views. Way more less than SS and BvS trailers that were released at the same time and did huge numbers like 90 million, 70 million...

• Like 3

Patty said on CCXP that she filmed everything possible with practical sets and effects. Only a few things that were impossible to not use CGI were made with CGI (especially Cheetah). It explain the number of locations that they filmed, like the spanish island just to recreate Themyscira.

Man, this is gonna be beautiful and a joy to watch.

Edited by belblazer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

You're right about 7-day missing BW peak.

But 30-day misses WW peak... :Gaga:

Wait for tomorrow then use 30-day. It would be nice if GoogleTrends updated faster.

Does it? WW peak was 17:00 Dec 8, 30 days claims to cover Dec 8 but is unclear about the hour I suppose. Maybe things will look different tomorrow 🤷‍♂️   

The larger point is that WW’s box office should be better relative to internet buzz, because of the expected audience composition. The relative internet metrics from first trailers tell very little about how big either will be except to mostly rule out really low numbers.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Patty said on CCXP that she filmed everything possible with practical sets and effects. Only a few things that it was impossible to not use CGI were made with CGI (especially Cheetah). It explain the number of locations that they filmed, like the spanish island just to recreate Themyscira.

Man, this is gonna be beautiful and a joy to watch.

Music to my ears! Way to go, Patty. That's the way to do it. Respect.

• Like 1

Moderation:- I just moved a bunch of posts to the Fanboy Wars thread. 2 people were just thread banned. 

You can compare trailers and numbers between movies. But make sure that it does not go into franchise wars territory or break any forum rules. Keep it civil. I am sure comparisons can be done without bias and trolling

Apart from this. Any conversation about and related to WW84 is allowed. Whether there is hype or not. Whether the social media numbers are great and it will do 1.5b or the numbers are not great and it will flop. As long as they do not violate forum rules. 

Thank You

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation:- I just moved a bunch of posts to the Fanboy Wars thread. 2 people were just thread banned. 

You can compare trailers and numbers between movies. But make sure that it does not go into franchise wars territory or break any forum rules. Keep it civil. I am sure comparisons can be done without bias and trolling

Apart from this. Any conversation about and related to WW84 is allowed. Whether there is hype or not. Whether the social media numbers are great and it will do 1.5b or the numbers are not great and it will flop. As long as they do not violate forum rules. 

Thank You

So is it considered franchise wars to make any comparison at all between the movies? My assumption was that people were comparing them because they both recently released trailers. It's kinda hard to discuss the bolded without making comparisons. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

So is it considered franchise wars to make any comparison at all between the movies? My assumption was that people were comparing them because they both recently released trailers. It's kinda hard to discuss the bolded without making comparisons. 

I’ve clarified my comment and discussed with other mods. 

You can compare and discuss. Just make sure it is done in a non trollish way (not specific to you, but applying to everyone). 

• Like 3