kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

of course not but some people aren't so confident in Eternals in November so they are pushing hard for "Dune's a flop, give the spot to Eternals" narrative. It's pretty transparent. 

Dune's spot will be for Wonder Woman, Eternals can't move there due to IMAX restrictions unless they want to release without IMAX.

Dune is a bomb in waiting though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dune's spot will be for Wonder Woman, Eternals can't move there due to IMAX restrictions unless they want to release without IMAX.

Dune is a bomb in waiting though

why? lets hear the reasons that aren't "but but BR2049". 

Just now, Valonqar said:

why? lets hear the reasons that aren't "but but BR2049". 

Obscure property which has the Star Trek reputation of being only for a nerdy audience, no big stars, a director who isn't a big enough name to open a movie, no one outside film Twitter will care and it won't even be the default family and other choice over the holidays.

And BR2049 as well.

Christmas gives it the best chance at making whatever little money but that is eclipsed by the bigger domination that WW84 can provide. So yeah, sacrifice Dune so bigger movies can run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

It's like you want me to spam you with GIFs :kitschjob:

How is spending your time in self-isolation by marathoning the Chalamet classics made before life was turned upside down (Homeland Season 2, the "Statistics" rap video, Interstellar, Lady Bird, Call Me by Your Name, Little Women) every day to keep your sanity going?

I have full confidence in Eternals and Wonder Woman. 

It's just that anyone with past track record of director can tell the fate of Dune. 

Dune is going to bomb big time. There is always a chance that it surprises but they are very less. 

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is WB's awards player which WW84 won't be (neither will be Eternals). So it's staying where it is. And it won't bomb. Nerd property doesn't matter. if the movie's made in accessible way, people will come. 

WB already has Tenet, In the Heights, and King Richard (will still likely make it for 2020, at worst a limited December release). They don't need Dune to for awards this year. If anything, they might need a movie like Dune more next year where WB's awards line-up is much weaker (they only have the Baz Luhrmann Elvis film).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

WB already has Tenet, In the Heights, and King Richard (will still likely make it for 2020, at worst a limited December release). They don't need Dune to for awards this year. If anything, they might need a movie like Dune more next year where WB's awards line-up is much weaker.

King Richard's going to be only Best Actor play. 

I can accept the reason for moving that WB awards line-up is worse next year but isn't holiday 2021 going to be Avatar season? 

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

King Richard's going to be only Best Actor play. 

I can accept the reason for moving that WB awards line-up is worse next year but isn't holiday 2021 going to be Avatar season? 

King Richard will get Best Actor nom but I think Tenet will get the noms Dune could get (almost all the techs, Best Screenplay, Best Score, Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Picture).

I think maybe move it to October and WB should go the Joker/A Star is Born path here. Have it premiere at Venice next year and play at TIFF like they did with both those movies (although I assume they have already decided to have Elvis go that path). I don't know. Maybe move The Matrix by a bit and have Dune play like Mad Max Fury Road (Cannes premiere and mid-May release).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune is WB's awards player which WW84 won't be (neither will be Eternals). So it's staying where it is. And it won't bomb. Nerd property doesn't matter. if the movie's made in accessible way, people will come. 

Give a studio the option between money and awards, they will choose money everytime. There's also Tenet to make up for any Dune stuff while making money.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

King Richard will get Best Actor nom but I think Tenet will get the noms Dune could get (almost all the techs, Best Screenplay, Best Score, Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Picture).

I think maybe move it to October and WB should go the Joker/A Star is Born path here. Have it premiere at Venice next year and play at TIFF like they did with both those movies (although I assume they have already decided to have Elvis go that path). I don't know. Maybe move The Matrix by a bit and have Dune play like Mad Max Fury Road (Cannes premiere and mid-May release).

Festival route would be great. Gravity also launched like that. 

7 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Dune can be like American Sniper and 1917 by having a limited release on Christmas followed by a wide release in January 

That would actually be the best option for it imo. Even if it flops when it releases wide in January, it would have gained enough momentum by then to end up being a big awards contender and that awards buzz it gains in December/early Jan could actually even help it not flop.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

WW84 will enjoy those Christmas legs very much.

Pretty sure WB thought the same thing when they originally slated it for Dec 13, 2019. Then they of course ran away from Star Wars when Disney moved TROS to Dec. Makes perfect sense to move WW84 to Dec 2020 and take advantage of the fact that the movie will not be competing with Star Wars or a Jumanji film. WB can move DUNE back to Nov if they insist on releasing it this year and move GvK to 2021.

Edited by meridan

32 minutes ago, meridan said:

Pretty sure WB thought the same thing when they originally slated it for Dec 13, 2019. Then they of course ran away from Star Wars when Disney moved TROS to Dec. Makes perfect sense to move WW84 to Dec 2020 and take advantage of the fact that the movie will not be competing with Star Wars or a Jumanji film. WB can move DUNE back to Nov if they insist on releasing it this year and move GvK to 2021.

The unfortunate thing is that the decision to move this film out of December was done before the Star Wars franchise had taken a hit in popularity. All things considered, WW84 probably could’ve done just fine with its initial release date. Hell, the Jumanji sequel ended up taking that date, and it did pretty well for itself.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The unfortunate thing is that the decision to move this film out of December was done before the Star Wars franchise had taken a hit in popularity. All things considered, WW84 probably could’ve done just fine with its initial release date. Hell, the Jumanji sequel ended up taking that date, and it did pretty well for itself.

I doubt the movie would have been finished in time. But yes that release date was the best in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I doubt the movie would have been finished in time. But yes that release date was the best in hindsight.

Principal photography wrapped up in December 2018 and Patty Jenkins did claim last December that the movie was more or less finished. 

• Like 1