kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just now, Eric Atreides said:

I think Matrix 4’s date would be that bad. It was the same strategy for Fury Road, and Shang-Chi won’t be anywhere near as big as Ultron

i think there's some notion that DUNE will be their awards play this year too, not a perfect "Oscar movie"  they probably originally wanted to be the Will Smith tennis movie before it got shut down but i guess it's their best of very few bets. 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Without Covid, i would have bet on the October record falling by a lot, but with Covid I am not confident in movies actually coming out.

If Oxford vaccine gets approved in September (and many companies will start producing as soon as Phase 2/Phase 3 trials start showing some positive results over the summer), I don't think the Fall movies have much to worry about. 

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

I have no idea what the box office will look like anymore tbh. How many people will go, what will seating be like, what movies will attract people. So many questions.

WW84 is well positioned if things improve. Assuming Mulan moves to late August, there is nothing in terms of "family" entertainment for 6+ weeks between Mulan and Oct 2. Everything in between is just horror and R-rated movies, and everything after till Black Widow is again the same. 

Of course, the big assumption is that the world's theaters start opening up.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If Oxford vaccine gets approved in September (and many companies will start producing as soon as Phase 2/Phase 3 trials start showing some positive results over the summer), I don't think the Fall movies have much to worry about. 

That’s a pretty big “if” though

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think there's some notion that DUNE will be their awards play this year too, not a perfect "Oscar movie"  they probably originally wanted to be the Will Smith tennis movie before it got shut down but i guess it's their best of very few bets. 

Fury Road was also their awards play. If the movie has the goods, it’ll do fine

this was the only "event" movie that would've gotten people out to theaters in the summer (Tenet would've done better than Mulan but nowhere close to a highly anticipated CBM).

so now instead this movie is going to open in the middle of the 2nd wave in the fall so i'm not sure if Oct is better than August at this point.

unless the oxford vaccine that people keep talking about comes in and saves the world magically in september. (could they even get wide distributions of it in a month?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

Fury Road was also their awards play. If the movie has the goods, it’ll do fine

that wasn't planned though. fury road could've done better for sure. they wouldn't be happy with fury road numbers here, right? of course if fury road was released in december it wouldn't have been an awards movie it needed time to be seen as that. but dune is already being hyped up as a potential awards thing.

November 2020

Nov 6, 2020

Black Widow

Stillwater

Nov 13, 2020

Clifford the Big Red Dog

Nov 20, 2020

Godzilla vs. Kong

Soul

Amblin Project

Nov 25, 2020

No Time to Die

Voyagers

Happiest Season

Wonder Woman 1984

November is too busy. But it's probably the next date if they move it again.

October 2020

Oct 2, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984

Bios

Without Remorse

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Oct 9, 2020

The Witches

Death on the Nile

Respect

Oct 13, 2020

Broil

Oct 16, 2020

Halloween Kills

The French Dispatch

Oct 23, 2020

Connected

Snake Eyes

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie

Oct 30, 2020

Fatale

Come Play

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

This seems like it would be more of a Christmas movie, but I guess WB is going all in with Dune. 

As others have stated Dunes best chances for success is over the holidays, WW can do well whenever as long as things are better. If we see a true second wave then things will get shifted again. 

"The new release date for WW84 is 10.2.20. Wow,it's finally happening, & I couldn’t be more excited! "

What?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, belblazer said:

November is too busy. But it's probably the next date if they move it again.

October 2020

Oct 2, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984

Bios

Without Remorse

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Oct 9, 2020

The Witches

Death on the Nile

Respect

Oct 13, 2020

Broil

Oct 16, 2020

Halloween Kills

The French Dispatch

Oct 23, 2020

Connected

Snake Eyes

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie

Oct 30, 2020

Fatale

Come Play

I think The Witches will get moved to the 23rd to seperate it and wonder woman a bit. Everybody's Talking About Jamie just got pushed to january and i'm not sure Snake Eyes makes that date since we haven't heard anything about it.

• Like 1