kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Was anticipating one of those "late Friday afternoon release date change announcements" that the studios love to throw out just about this time... But it's still afternoon in L.A.  Alas...it will indeed happen eventually.  😂 

Edited by Macleod

Obvious the industry is expecting this to move to what was originally Jurassic World's date cause normally another tentpole would've been quick to grab that spot. Would be good for the studios if they all helped each other out during the recovery.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:33 AM, Hangman said:

When she says it's not going to streaming, does she mean it's not going only to streaming? In this tweet is she confirming it's going to theaters and PVOD on the same day?

that strategy would make no sense if you want to make money, piracy kills it, need to give theaters at least 2 week head start

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moving WW84 outside of 2020 would be disastrous. without massive aid from a stimulus movie theaters will be virtually extinct come next spring, if they refuse to release anything. I think they will get some kind of aid, but they need it SOON. unfortunately many Americans are still really scared from the virus. I have gone to the theaters twice post shutdown now and there was almost no one there. I actually felt safer there then I do going to the grocery store. 

This is going to be a long road to recovery for the theater industry, even if they said that could open 100% of theaters at full capacity. even if a magic vaccine was released that was sure to be cure people from the virus, people are so driven by fear now, it would probably take at least a year for a full recovery and that is being optimistic. I think some studios are just going to have to release some of big films knowing they will not make as much as they used to. I also don't really believe "Tenet" was the best film to release first thing post lockdown, it was fairly dark and people wear respirators in the trailer.

I believe WW84 will do decent if released at Christmas, if no more theaters are forced to shut. not nearly as well as before, but I think it can cross $200m over an extended period of time. But yeah it will probably be 2022 before we see a film hit the $400m mark again. and we might not even see $300m next year. 

granted even if most theaters go bankrupt I think the theater industry will come back eventfully because there is a hunger for that market and people will want to start getting out again. but if they keep pushing it we might be looking at 5-10 years before a significant recovery takes place. , but NY and CA have to open up they just got to do it. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Studios don't want to take the bullet. Theaters can go bankrupt. Close and consolidate. Serious concerns about phase 2 for this virus this winter. I don't see it happening.

Even if there is a vaccine by winter? (which is looking likely) I got to be honest I am really hesitant to take any vaccine. but if there is one that has shown significant success rate there is no justifying keeping theaters closed.

What do you mean by consolidate? you mean merge with streaming planforms?  that is probably likely. 

23 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Studios don't want to take the bullet. Theaters can go bankrupt. Close and consolidate. Serious concerns about phase 2 for this virus this winter. I don't see it happening.

Or also possible...they are letting them reach their weakest, most desperate point, and will then use the squashed Paramount Decrees to come in and "save"/co-invest/or indeed wholly buy-out a chain or two.  It's going to happen, it's just a matter of time.  And they may have planned it all along....

Cruel, but that's Hollywood.  

Warners was already burned with Tenet, they won't let it happen with WW84; they'll hold it until 2022, if need be.  Or at the very least they may do a simultaneous theater/VOD release, or a two/three week lead time in theaters, but they won't release this baby until they have a significantly more stable theatrical revenue stream.    

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Well ghostbusters just moved  to that June slot so I’m not sure what WB plans are. Maybe they will just release it at Xmas this year or maybe they’ll move it to early next year. 

I guess they could move it to June 4th, or they could try their luck with the date that Ghostbusters: Afterlife previously had. 

• ...wtf 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I guess they could move it to June 4th, or they could try their luck with the date that Ghostbusters: Afterlife previously had. 

Ya that March date is what I was thinking, I guess maybe WB is waiting to see who wins the election? I guess we’ll see. 

I'm not 100% sure but I think that films get approvement from the chinese government when they are expected to be released soon. It's the same thing with concerts.

I think the christmas is happening and the only thing that will stop WB to release there is a second wave just as hard as the beginning of the pandemic. Btw, if it happens on December, they won't count with Brazil.

• Like 1